7mm North Kent Yard

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
To help with the assembly of the crossings I put together a few jigs, three in all to cover 1:4,1:6 and 1:8.
Using small brass screws the crossings are positioned and soldered in place, and the overhanging screw heads are then ground back to allow dummy chairs to be glued in place. Wire droppers again are pre soldered before the crossings are fixed.
Closure and stock rails use the screws as well. With the guard rails the screw is set into a brass strip, screwed into position and then the guard and stock is soldered in place. Although this method of construction is a bit slower, the benefit is everything is held in position and gauged, yes the glueing of the chairs is fairly robust but I’m a belt and braces type.
IMG_0504.jpegIMG_0505.jpegIMG_0510.jpegIMG_0513.jpegIMG_0530.jpegIMG_0529.jpeg

Simon

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
The dual gauge track on the gantry crane road I wanted to keep simple in its operation, the previous layout had a similar bit of track which utilised switch blade on the interface with the two gauges. So this time a bit unconventional track work with no switch blades. The standards for the narrow gauge are the same which makes construction easy, and it works well without another point motor needed.
IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg
Simon

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
That’s the standard gauge track completed with the stretcher bars in. Adding all the half chairs to hide all the wire droppers was a bit time consuming, but worth the effort to not have any visible wires. Just the cosmetic fishplates to add before starting on the narrow gauge track, I’ll need to turn the boards around to make it a bit easier to access the space.
Playing around with a few wagons to visualise the space available.

Simon

IMG_0555.jpegIMG_0560.jpegIMG_0559.jpegIMG_0561.jpeg