Next on Heather's workbench

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I just worked out what's coming through the workbench over the next weeks, and I rather think I may be busy until the new year. This comes as something of a pleasant surprise to me. :thumbs:
  • LNWR Pull & Push pair
  • JLTRT Mk1 BSK and TSO (new client, part-built kits that need finishing nicely)
  • A DJP MMP Mk1 RMB (once I get to Mr Carr's to have a butcher's)
  • And not forgetting the 9F.
Somehow, in between that lot, I may have some more direct commission work from JLTRT, I have had an enquiry about the possibility of building and painting either a 56xx or a 64xx (both JLTRT/Mitchell kits), and let's not forget the Ivatt 2MT tank and the little Fowler 2F tank.

Phew!

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Sadly, Telford isn't happening for me this year. I might like to pop over to you one weekend soon, if that's okay? It'd be nice to catch up with Croscombe Magna progress, too.

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I just worked out what's coming through the workbench over the next weeks, and I rather think I may be busy until the new year ...

Phew!

Wow thats quite a list! Looking forward to seeing these projects, work is mental at the moment (logged over 300h in July ...) so I'll have to enjoy modelling by proxy for a few months :rolleyes:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
A big box, stuffed to the gunwales with a pair of part-built JLTRT Mk1s, arrived this morning from Sunny Falmouth.

I'm going to assess the contents properly in a few days, and then I'll be on the phone to Laurie at JLTRT for spare bits and bobs. The only damage I can see right out is one bent axle on one bogie. If I can't straighten it sensible, then I'll have to get a new pair of axles from Slater's.

At least the cast whitemetal bogies are already constructed. That's one chore I won't have to struggle through. I do so love cast metal bogies! :rant:

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Heather

You will be very pleased to know then that I have already built the cast white metal commonwealth bogies for the RMB. The kit comes with BR 1 bogies, exquisite but sadly for 1981 well out of date.

Richard

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
You will be very pleased to know then that I have already built the cast white metal commonwealth bogies for the RMB.

:thumbs:

Which kits did you get in the end?

One pair isn't so much of a problem. It's when you have a whole series of them to wade through. As you know, some bogie kits take a while to fettle. The Collett bogies took about a day per pair, and that's pretty tedious - even without any brake gear to speak of.

I'm hoping to liaise with John about a visit north of the Thames in the next few weeks.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I've assessed today's arrival. I have one box, with virtually complete kits for Mk1 BSK and TSO. There are one or two bits and bobs I can replace from the Bits Box, and I'll get on the phone to Irvine on Friday to see about acquiring complete replacement underframe etches for both - preferably the complete etched versions, rather than the hybrid cast and etched ones I seem to have.

Anyway, having spent a happy hour separating two business card boxes of castings, checking over the other contents, and having a think about what I'll do about the paintwork, I've boxed it all up again. I've got those LNWR coaches to get on with first, and no doubt John will badger me about his 9F. ;)

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Heather

They are JLTRT cast white metal ones that were spare from a GUV kit. Theya re nice representation and they are fully sprung.

One issue with the kit is that there are some long beams, the full length of the underframe that need folding, do you have a folding tool to cope with those ? I think metal smith used to make one long enough.

Richard

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
One issue with the kit is that there are some long beams, the full length of the underframe that need folding, do you have a folding tool to cope with those ? I think metal smith used to make one long enough.

I have the largest Hold'n'Fold, but if it needs anything bigger I'll see what's needed and get something in.

Cheers!