MOK Rebuilt Merchant Navy Kit Announcement

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Would there be interest in the modified 5100 gallon tender? I have spoken with Dave and he could consider it as an option.

Tim

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
For those who aren’t familiar with the rabbit hole that is MN tenders, this is the appearance of the 5100 gal modified tenders.
IMG_9323.jpg (part image for illustration from ‘The book of the MN Class’). I think they give the locos a much better balance.

Tim

mardex

Started my career at sea on the Port Caroline so what will be 35027 Port Line is on order. Trying to persuade an LMS devotee to order an MN is proving a bit tough to get us to the magic 50.

mardex

Thinking this through only after deciding on the 5000 gallon tender, the vertical sides at the top would allow for a detachable coal load. Maybe arrange for a lift-out battery pack underneath, accessible without dismantling the model.
thought the same about the 6000 gallon tender. Removable front half for my RC gear and battery underneath with a little forethought.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
If you don't have a particular loco in mind, I would think the choice of tender type is a matter of personal preference based on appearance. That said, the first batch (5000 gallon) might be easier to build as the side plates of the coal bunker are flat and the tender roof joins at right angles, whereas the later tender sides curve in along the top edge and some are faired in to the roof with a curve.
Dave.

Yes, and the coal bunker is a very conspicuous part of the model.
So for me, 35004 Cunard White Star.

Thanks Dave.

Please, do we know whether 35004 Cunard White Star ran with a 5,000 or 5,100 gallon tender?

I have requested a 5,000 but MOK are suggesting a 5,100 on their invoice; and I need to firm up my order with them.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Richard,
The tender saga on MNs is a minefield. However, according to The Book of the Merchant Navy Pacifics, by Richard Derry, 35004 had 5000 gallon tenders, 3114 from new till 1944, then 3113 till October 1965 after which it had a 5100 gallon tender, 3121 till withdrawal in 28th October 1965. So it mainly ran with a 5000 gallon type and had the 5100 gallon for no more than one month, right at the end. The book contains a photo of 35004 at Yeovil shed on 15th June 1964, clearly showing a 5000 gallon type tender.
The exact same information also appears in Bulleid Power, The Merchant Navy Class, by A. J. Fry.
That's the best information I can find, but am happy to be corrected.
Dave.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Good. I have a copy of the Richard Derry book and I had convinced myself my model would have a 5,000 gallon tender.

I asked for a 5,000 gallon tender back in February, so I can get in touch with MOK and confirm this. and I have confirmed this with MOK.

Last edited:

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
I have received the following fromDave Sharp at MOK

Unfortunately, due to manufacturing delays to certain items, the release of the Merchant Navy kit has been put back. I am disappointed that this has occurred as I was keen to have customers orders ready in time for collection at Guildex. If anyone is still considering ordering a Merchant Navy from MOK, there are still some available from the batch of 50 kits.

To go with the Merchant Navy, MOK is also looking to supply finescale wheels in metal for these particular locomotives, similar to those which were available for the 4MT kits, so if anyone who has ordered a kit would like some high quality metal wheels, please contact me.

Additionally, an updated kit for the King Arthur is now available, and will be available to purchase at Guildex, or to order if you are unable to attend the show.

For further details, contact Dave Sharp at sales@modernoutline.co.uk or 01522 531861 or 07785706065.

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the update, Ian. I was wondering if there had been a delay with not hearing from MOK. Still, quite happy to wait a bit longer.
As I'm normally a P4 modeller and have never ventured into 7 mm previously, I'm very keen to get some advice regarding selection of wheel standards. Initial thoughts were to try for S7 (based on my P4 approach) but have veered towards fine scale (perhaps more chance to run it on a club layout) using Slater's wheels with etched front overlays. It would be rather good to be able to discuss with someone, perhaps at Stafford on the Sunday.
Dave.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Well, I am a S7 modeller.. is going to be at the show on Saturday... and would be happy to talk about GC class 9K.

I do not wear a button hole however look for a red hat.