Micromodels - Your workshop all in a cigar-box

Micromodels Publications.

Terry

Western Thunderer
The Micromodels story..

Micromodels Ltd. published two booklets.

The Microputian Population. First published in 1950 for 2/6d. Re-published in 1952 with the price being dropped to 2/0d. This booklet instructed you as to how to carve miniature people from matchsticks, with which to populate your miniature buildings.

711_311540_190000000.jpg

Making Models in Card. Published in 1955 at a cost of 2/9d. The title probably says it all. Interestingly, there is a photograph in this booklet of the proposed ARC 25, the Maori Assembly House, although this model was never issued.

711_311547_200000000.jpg

I also have in my collection a four-page leaflet which shows the available models..

711_311550_030000000.jpg

And here is an advertisement from the Model Railway Constructor in 1958 after Micromodels Ltd. had been sold..

711_311553_070000000.jpg
That concludes our journey through the Micromodel story. I have drawn heavily on the publication 'Micromodels - Your Workshop in a Cigar Box- The Story of Micromodels' by the acknowledged expert on Micromodels, Mr. Lester Harrison. and I pay tribute to him here for his work in this field.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Terry

adrian

Flying Squad
It is good to see some of the built models on here, especially as you appear to have done so, so neatly. Perhaps following the history/catalogue you could post some tips and tricks.
Would it be cheating to suggest it'd fairly simple to scan the sheet into lightburn, trace the image and laser cut out the parts?

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Wonderful stuff, Terry. I had no concept of the breadth of subjects. I'm a bit concerned that I may start travelling down this rabbit hole! I already have a loft insulated with railway kits which I have insufficient years to ever build so to start moving in another direction might be unwise. The temptation is plain to all those on this site who've seen my brass miniatures which make a pleasant diversion from the railway kits I've built for best part of my life.

Thank you.

Brian

Terry

Western Thunderer
Wonderful stuff, Terry. I had no concept of the breadth of subjects. I'm a bit concerned that I may start travelling down this rabbit hole! I already have a loft insulated with railway kits which I have insufficient years to ever build so to start moving in another direction might be unwise. The temptation is plain to all those on this site who've seen my brass miniatures which make a pleasant diversion from the railway kits I've built for best part of my life.

Thank you.

Brian
The great thing about Micromodels is that they are a useful short diversion if you want to take time out from a larger railway related project. Very useful kits if you are away from home. As it says on the tin - All your workshop in a cigar-box!

Terry

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
Ray, I am only including pictures of the models which are actually in my possession. Thanks for posting Sandringham. I haven't got that particular model and It's interesting to see what it is like.

Terry
Please feel free to download any of these cards if you wish.This the L1 which is quite tricky to build as the fold up chassis is not quite wide enough and gives a trapezoidal chassis however,here is a modified chassis which does make up square.

Ray_wsb_566x480_Class+L1 copy enhanced.jpgL1 chassis.jpg

Obtaining The Models.

Terry

Western Thunderer
Having now shown the range of Micromodels which were available, it's probable that some of you might feel inclined to have a go at making one or two, or even to start a collection of originals. But from where to obtain the models? Without a doubt, eBay offers the best selection of models available. However, you need to decide whether you are collecting or just want to construct the models. Clearly, as collectable items, the asking price for an original model will be far in excess of the original asking price. In many cases 'silly money' is demanded. But I suppose that, in a free market, an item is worth what someone is prepared to pay! So, in a nutshell, if you want to collect the models, go and speak to your bank manager! (Do they still exist?)

If you only want to have a bash at making some models, it will be far cheaper to obtain good quality scans and construct these. What do I mean by 'good quality scans'? Many scans which are available are taken from the models in their current state, i.e. decades old with fading or discolouration of the card. This results in dull looking models. I have no connection with the company Autocraft Ltd, in fact they have banned me from buying their scans as I had the temerity to complain once. However, as far as I am aware, they are the current owners of the Micromodel printing plates (not the Modelcraft printing plates), and do make good, clean and bright scans available on eBay under the guise of Micro New Models, at what I think are quite reasonable prices. It appears to me that most, if not all, of the Micromodels are available at some time or the other. I believe that these scans are inkjet printed and if so, would benefit from a coat of matt varnish to protect the ink from moisture. I suppose that you could even collect these scans if you wanted a cheaper collection of the models.

So, if Autocraft Ltd. currently possess the printing plates for the models produced by Micromodels Ltd., what happened to the printing plates from Modelcraft Ltd.? My understanding is that they were last known to be in the possession of Mr. E. Rankine Gray, proprieter of ERG (Bournemouth) Ltd. who produced a number of card rolling stock kits in 4mm scale. On retirement he sold on the the rights to ERG and Modelcraft. The Modelcraft rights were sold on once again but the printing plates have not been heard of since being owned by Mr. E. Rankine Gray. If you have them please contact me.

Terry

Last edited:

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
Hi Terry,i have scans of of most if not all of the railway series plus some aircraft as well.Over the years,the original cards have faded but i load those into photoshop and enhance colours and as the cards are sometimes varnished,the take on a brown tinge,I restore the card to original white.If there are any you require,i see if if i have them.

Ray.

Terry

Western Thunderer
Hi Terry,i have scans of of most if not all of the railway series plus some aircraft as well.Over the years,the original cards have faded but i load those into photoshop and enhance colours and as the cards are sometimes varnished,the take on a brown tinge,I restore the card to original white.If there are any you require,i see if if i have them.

Ray.
Thank you Ray. Very kind of you.

Best wishes,

Terry

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
I can`t remember where i collected this one from,it`s possibly Modelcraft but it could be Weetabix!.There were many such cards in the 1950s,i used to have a stationers shop in Harringay where i asked to look through their Micromodels regularly.

Ray_wsb_553x485_Diesel+Electric copy black.jpg

Terry

Western Thunderer
Ray, that is a Modelcraft single sheet model, published in 1948. Considered to be the rarest of all the Modelcraft single sheet models.

Terry

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
Ray, that is a Modelcraft single sheet model, published in 1948. Considered to be the rarest of all the Modelcraft single sheet models.

Terry
I always make a duplicate when i load it into photoshop.That way i can work on restoring them to hopefully original condition whilst keeping the original card .Did you know that Modelcraft also issued a series of motor vehicles.Correct 00 scale.

Ray.J9-Double-Deck-Trolleybus-AEC-Weymann-Modelcraft.jpg

Last edited:

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
Weetabix also issued a series of locos and coaches on the back of their cereal packets.I used to know the original size of these cards but i remember that they that they were 00 scale size.

Ray.1950s-Weetabix-Workshop-Series-16-SR-Battle-of-Britain-Class-Loco-R193.jpg

Mike Trice

Western Thunderer
Having successfully built the J50 from set MIII I thought it would be nice to build some of the wagons from that set to go with it.

Something looks odd:
20240108_092730.jpg

This got me questioning the scale used for the Micromodels railway subjects. I have seen a figure of 1/200 mentioned so thought I would try and verify that with the models I have to hand.

J50: 1/186
Wagon (above): 1/161
A4: 1/196
GNR Atlantic: 1/198

I also noticed that the track gauge is too wide being nearer 9mm.

So if you want to display completed models together and you are working from scans some resizing might be prudent.

Terry

Western Thunderer
I always make a duplicate when i load it into photoshop.That way i can work on restoring them to hopefully original condition whilst keeping the original card .Did you know that Modelcraft also issued a series of motor vehicles.Correct 00 scale.

Ray.View attachment 206145

I did but didn't include them as they are not strictly part of the Micromodels story.

Terry