Quintus

Western Thunderer
Firstly, let me apologise to all those of a GWR persuasion, for although Melcombe Magna has a goodly share of Ex GW locos and stock, it was (in my imagination), the terminus of a branch of the S&D.
However, a branch was also built to here from the GW (Somerset Wilts and Weymouth line) to a seperate terminus nearby.
In 1940 a connecting line was built to allow the products of the lime and cement works at the S&D station to be transported to Portland harbour for the war effort.
Consequently the GW station was closed to passengers, with trains from Weymouth running into the Ex S&D station.
Nowadays the Western Region has control of both branches, although the station buildings still wear their SR livery
So, having made my excuses, I will start this thread with a map of these imaginary branch lines and a photo of a 14XX on the daily pick up goods from Weymouth. Map of Melcombe Magna branches.JPGDSC_1695.JPG

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Today we see a Pannier shunting the 6-wheel heavy brake van which is a Peco kit updated with plated overlays of 5thou brass.
This van was in fact used on the Bridport branch, but I have re-allocated it to Weymouth to assist freight workings down Bincombe bank.
The pannier was built some years ago from a Vulcan kit.P5254316.JPG

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Another shot of 4691, this time arriving with a passenger train and an empty milk tank collected from the cheese factory at Kings Stag.
The rather delapidated fence wire is caused by the EZ-Line perishing after some years. I have now replaced it with some fine coloured copper wire.
DSC_1869.JPG

Quintus

Western Thunderer
The 4F looks lovely, but.....
View attachment 177858
(Just curious).
The incline (far right) leads to the Dorset Lime and Cement works, who have their own locos, one of which is a Peckett X class, seen in the photo.
As this loco is the most powerful of the company's fleet, it is usually employed pushing wagons up the incline from the exchange siding to Waterloo Yard, where the loco is standing. A narrow gauge line also runs to a loading dock in the yard, more of which anon.Valerie shunting hoppers 02.jpg

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Here is a general view of Waterloo yard. The signal at the top of the incline in post #9 can be seen on the far right, to give an idea of where we are. The light flat bottom rail gives way to fully chaired bullhead rail immediately behind the Hawthorne Lesley loco. The signal is a model of one at Radstock that controlled the Clandown Colliery and gas works branch. The Fergie tractor is receiving some attention from the Fitter, and is used in the event of a loco failure.DSC_0606.JPG

ICH60

Western Thunderer
Quintus

I am very impressed with your ballasting and the goods yard surface. May I asked how you achieved this?

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Thank you. After laying the track, the goods yard surface where the tops of the sleepers need to be at ground level was done by laying 3mm Exactoscale foam underlay up to the ends of the sleepers. (not sure if this is still available, but a similar product used for sound insulation in cars can be obtained on ebay).
The yard ballast is a mix of Woodland scenics fine cinders and garden earth ground to a powder. In Waterloo yard I added ground up lime from a local lime pit, which gave me the idea for the layout. I also stipple in some powders here and there.
The foam underlay used for the yard surface has Greenscene textured paint stippled on, I used "Yard filth" and "Dark Tarmac" mixed together.
Ballast on the main line is Woodland Scenics Medium, with two or three different colours mixed. I should add that the layout is 7mm scale.
Regards
Mike

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Anyone who grabbed the Feb RM for the Micro Marvels feature on Alan's Blackney can also enjoy a write-up of Newton Heath Works which features as Railway of the Month :thumbs: