Matt's workbench - current project: a potential change in modelling direction

AJC

Western Thunderer
Looks good - two excellent kits, of course, but that's only a starting point. Are the worksplates and label clips going on later?

Adam

matto21

Western Thunderer
Looks good - two excellent kits, of course, but that's only a starting point. Are the worksplates and label clips going on later?

Adam
Er, yes...of course

Next up for me is a Mermaid. How did you fabricate the rather marvellous brake levers on your model?

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
Er, yes...of course

Next up for me is a Mermaid. How did you fabricate the rather marvellous brake levers on your model?

I honestly can't remember - probably either abused scrap etch or adapted something else (likely a Dave Bradwell etch for plate wagon levers which I had several of: they're not available as part of his range which will make the one in the drawer a bit tricky...). They are, as you note, a rather tricky shape.

Adam

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

While I wait for an opportunity to paint the 12t van, I've started work on a Mermaid ballast wagon.

There were two choices: the Flangeway RTR option or the venerable Cambrian kit and I opted for the latter. It's a shame there are no detailing/upgrade parts available for this kit because it would really benefit from a few bits.

I initially constructed the chassis as per the instructions, and went to bed feeling pretty pleased with myself. Next evening, I realised I had messed up somewhere, because it was much too narrow and I couldn't even fit the wheels.

I tried to disassemble it, but this was easier said than done and the w-irons and chassis frame were damaged in the process. After resisting the urge to stamp on it, I rebuilt things as best I could using a range of bits and bobs.

01.jpg

It's not perfect, but it runs smoothly. The body was harder than it needed to be and is only balancing in place in these photos.

02.jpg

I've also started adding a bit of extra detail - again just from bits and bobs - to the bufferbeams.

03.jpg

I originally planned on building a few of these...currently that's not looking likely!

Matt

AJC

Western Thunderer
It's a tricky kit (and prototype, of course). Dad's just built his second - 15 years after the first - and observed that he's in no great hurry to make a third. I have a second one in the drawer, I have better ideas on how to make the chassis robust now and in so doing, the chassis-related stress can be reduced, but not wholly eliminated...

Adam