Love Lane, B.R. (E) c.1956-59

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
.......Hopefully the paint will be hard enough tomorrow evening to start masking for the brown...........

JB.
Car spray can paint does dry quickly, I've masked off within 6 hours successfully before now, admittedly that was in mid- summer temperatures.

Col.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I sprayed the solebars which then over sprayed the coach side, and didn't want to have a tonal difference between top and bottom so put a light coat of black over the rest as a witness coat..

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mick, appreciate that..!

Definitely looking forward to a dose of weathering on them to bring out the details, bit of a black hole at the moment..

JB.

FiftyFourA

Western Thunderer
Very nice, especially using the "tools of the Devil" and an improvised spray booth. It goes to prove that a it's a good workman not the tools that matter.

Just the base for some nice weathering now. Look forward to seeing them in that condition.

Peter

FiftyFourA

Western Thunderer
Putting her wheels back on after doing the 'boxes on Thursday, then brakes/vac pipes and (hopefully) steam test next week then off to work for the summer on the Wensleydale. Oh yes, and someone required to fill the bunker - I think we might need some of the black stuff to get her going!

Peter

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Very nice, especially using the "tools of the Devil" and an improvised spray booth. It goes to prove that a it's a good workman not the tools that matter.

Just the base for some nice weathering now. Look forward to seeing them in that condition.

Peter
Absolutely right and JB is an excellent workman, I need all the help from the tools that I can get.:)
Tim

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Lovely job for Love Lane JB!

Since we last met, I have drawn up a simplified, printable version of the correct seat fabric for the set.

I believe the pattern was called "Tollerton". It was such a commonly used design in the latter days of the LNER, lasting well into BR, that it is rather disappointing that none has been reproduced by the preservation movement so far!

Although my artwork is only a rough and still needs a bit of tweaking at the repeat edges, I hope that it will be of interest to you and any other WT'ers as well?!

Pete.

GE LNER Tollerton 2b.jpg

P.S. The Gresley Brake Tourist Open Third (GE16631E) now resident on the Epping Ongar Railway carried this fabric until withdrawal by BR!

Although there is clear evidence that this was a pre war design, did Stratford Carriage Works have a huge stock of the stuff I wonder?!

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
JB, having now published, I'm feeling a bit worried that you might think I was trying to steal your thunder on a superb build?

If you do, then I apologise profusely.

I am aware that my enthusiasm for interiors can border on the obsessive, and at times be quite impractical, but I'm afraid that is what lies at the core of my passion for railways!

Although our family were reasonably affluent and could afford it, none ever learned to drive a motor car, nor showed any inclination to do so. We were well travelled though, no doubt aided by Grandpa Jim and Nan Ivy's BR Privilege Tickets.

I recall being fascinated by the myriad designs of seat fabrics on all the various rolling stock we so frequently travelled in. Not just the appearance, but the texture as well!

How can I ever forget those awful grey flannel short trousers that Mum used iron-in knife edge creases, before convention forced me to wear them? You know, the things that could stand up on the floor all by themselves. They didn't bend when you walked, your legs made contact with the hems fore and aft only, like a pair of dangly bell clappers! When you sat down, the airs flooded in over your thighs as the fronts resembled gothic window lintels!

The texture of those carriage seats felt on such tender nether regions..."Ooh-er missus, titter ye not", I refer to the back of the knees of course, left an indelible impression! The uncut moquettes so favoured by BR were desperately harsh and scratchy, whereas London Transport always used the much heavier, deep pile and heavenly cut variety.

It was unusual to discover that the pattern that I have just presented was of the more luxurious, and perhaps expensive, latter type!

As you can see, it is all rather close to my heart...

Now you can titter...!

Pete.

By the way, for scale, the pattern repeat is nine and a half inches wide by six and three eights deep. The posted image is made up of four, so is double those measurements.

Peculiar size, but probably something to do with the dimensions of the loom, or number of strands woven?