London and Birmingham Rly in G3

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I've just completed an L and B 3 compartment first class carriage in gauge 3, the first photo(to the right hand side) shows what I started with: David Viewing blow up his 3D printed G1 LeCount open carriage to G3, to provide the carcass.

20220304_150526.jpg
I produce the body sides as laser cut card overlays, which were assembled and painted before gluing to the pre painted carcass

20220429_172944.jpg
The whole train still needs lettering, I'm hoping I can print some decals myself

20220727_104418.jpg20220727_104528.jpg
The Biro shows the size, for anyone not familiar with gauge 3 (22.5:1 21/2" track gauge)

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Geoff, excellent work!! If you haven't seen this, it may be of some help.

I was also able to visit inside Curzon Street Station building in 2007 before they boarded it up, a fascinating look at very early railway history.

Will follow with interest, Paul (from Brum)

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
If you haven't seen this, it may be of some help.
fascinating, and I've just discovered J C Bourne was related to E W Cooke, his equivalent in shipping. It's interesting to compare the work of J C Bourne with the illustrations of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, published less than ten years earlier, under the name T T Bury, which don't seem (to me) to show any understanding of what is being depicted.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Those do look really nice Geoff, please tell what thickness of card did you use for the laser cutting?

Michael

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Those do look really nice Geoff, please tell what thickness of card did you use for the laser cutting?
I used 0.2mm thick card, stiff enough to hold it's shape, but pliable enough to allow my to form the tumblehome with my fingers. I was able to handle it and compare it with other thickness etc in the shop who also did the cutting. ( 4D Models). I've used it before so I knew it would take the Halfords spray paint.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Superb Geoff, and the paint finish looks good too .. in fact all of the painting.

Will thy have a public outing any time soon?

Mike

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Will thy have a public outing any time soon?
I've offered the layout to my club show in April, in Romford, but they probably won't have room, despite it being only 12ft by 2ft. My plan to to publicise it more once it's closer to being finished.

Thank you Geoff

Great images, those coaches are works of art.
Just to be clear is that a plastic material or paper based cardstock - if its the latter what glue do you use?

As an aside I came across two illustrations of the ECR from The Illustrated London News 21st December 1850. “The Arrival of a Christmas Passenger Train” and “Christmas Cattle Arriving at Tottenham Station” both equally atmospheric and subject to artistic licence but the double decker sheep wagons and open top cattle wagons might make interesting additions to your goods train with some suitable imagineering. Judging by the number of sheep and bulls on the cattle dock the wagons must use the same technology as the TARDIS! I visited Dave Boucher recently and he had a double deck sheep wagon in early GER livery on his O gauge layout.

Ralph

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
a plastic material or paper based cardstock
sorry, it's paper based card. I had been intending to use a spray on glue, but I ended up using UHU glue. I had had two sets of the card layers cut, so I felt able to risk it and it seems to have worked. The Halfords primer and green gloss paint helped as well.
Those illustrations sound very interesting, I'll follow them up. I also built a GER sheep wagon, using the drawing in the Metro Cammell collection of drawings now held by the HMRS. It makes a very nice, if complex, model.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
The wheels look like they have flanges already are you going to put metal tyres on them or just leave them? it all looks great \.

Michael

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
The wheels look like they have flanges already are you going to put metal tyres on them or just leave them?
They are complete. 3D printed in sintered nylon. The Slaters wheels seem to me to be far too chunky for early railways, so I've drawn my own. The ones you see in the photo were printed by Shapeways, but I'll actually be using some printed (as were the wagons) by a company new to me - SGD3D - based in Nottingham. They call their material Nylon PA12. The flanges are slightly less than 1.5mm thick. I think it will be okay on my small layout, but I should ask one of the G3 crowd to test them running with some ordinary rolling stock on a garden layout. I reassure myself that everything will be fine by reminding myself that I copied what David Viewing did, and he runs long trains in a smaller scale on the G1 exhibition track.