LNWR bogie coaches in 4mm/00

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Another LNWR D306 Toplight corridor brake third finished in weathered BR carmine and mounted on LNWR bogies...

WEB LNWR D306 9A.jpg

They are my own bogies with etched tiebars. Note LNWR axleboxes. I recently came across a photo showing these coaches definitely had slate waist panels on the luggage doors...
WEB LNWR D306 9B.jpg

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Can i ask you Larry , What do the slate panel mean, I see them on other coaches so it must mean something, Thankyou.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
(Hand straight up in the air)

Please Sir, Please Sir, I know, I know....only coz Larry told me on another of his threads. :):)

Beautiful work Larry.

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Can i ask you Larry , What do the slate panel mean, I see them on other coaches so it must mean something, Thankyou.
They were for chalking messages on such as what the luggage van contained on a particular journey. They were painted of course but may have been slate on early coaches. They will be found in different positions, but BR generally confined them to the doors.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
They certainly were slate when the carriages were built and may well have still been slate in BR days.

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
They certainly were slate when the carriages were built and may well have still been slate in BR days.

Mike
My reply was 'general' because the enquirer had seen them on other coaches, which could have meant coaches other than LNWR. Therefore my reply took this into account and was not specific to LNWR coaches. The Midland and the LMS often had these grey panels in places other than on the luggage doors. I should add they were sometimes painted over in body colour in BR days, although this was more usual on on non-corridor brakes.

Last edited:

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Thankyou for the info, It is quite obvious now that i have read your answer, But i did not have a clue before.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry , this is a very oppertune thread as i have some spare LNWR coach etches ( from an inheritance ) and was also looking at finishing them in Carmine red to pull them into BR days .
You have said that you spray Ford Rosso red over your own blend but obviously i don't have that option . What would you suggest as an 'undercoat' to use before applying the Rosso red . I presume you are doing this to slightly alter the shade of the final colour .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry ,
You have said that you spray Ford Rosso red over your own blend but obviously i don't have that option . What would you suggest as an 'undercoat' to use before applying the Rosso red . I presume you are doing this to slightly alter the shade of the final colour .
Yes. My own shade is slightly darker than Rosso Red. Rosso gives the carmine a slightly bleached look. What you need is a light maroon base, but it is not an exact science and is merely as I think I remember it.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Yes. My own shade is slightly darker than Rosso Red. Rosso gives the carmine a slightly bleached look. What you need is a light maroon base, but it is not an exact science and is merely as I think I remember it.
I guess a light coat of LNWR plum would still be too dark ?