LNER models in 4mm

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Interesting stuff Mick: I'm thinking about buying one of the newly made LRM versions of this kit...
Chas
It is the current LRM kit with a new Dia 49a Boiler etch added . I have just added a edit on the first B16 post above re the kit issues, I have discovered so far.

Last edited:

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Chas
It is the current LRM kit with a new Dia 49a Boiler etch added . I have just added a edit on the first B16 post above re the kit issues, I have discovered so far.
I misunderstood your wording Mick, about it being the kit originally from 30 years ago! I knew LRM had relaunched the kit but I thought you meant you were building a much older, vintage Barnfield one! I understand now though. Following with interest...

Last edited:

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
B16 finished.

Dont buy this kit , unless very desperate for a B16 !!
After the last post I found out that the Tender Side Coal plates were etched 3mm too long , taken off cut back and resoldered back on the Tender. The Toolboxes were the wrong type, The Water Filler was too high and left blank on top, cut down, a large hinge and handle were added . No Water Scoop casting was supplied, a Dave Bradwell one was used.

IMG_6571.jpeg

IMG_6561.jpeg

IMG_6560.jpeg

Last edited:

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Next up. This will be my second DJH Raven A2. I already have built the later LNER version with the Gresley 8 Wheel Tender as below. A reasonable kit as the majority of the kit is good fitting etched brass.

This one will circa 1930, unless I go for the earlier pre 1928 LNER and Numbers on the Tender only. Either period will still have a Westinghouse Pump fitted to the offisde side of the Boiler.

This is a recent ebay find bought for a sensible price. The instructions list the kit as available in 1985 , I never realised how old these kits are.

IMG_6569.jpeg

My earlier A2 build. City of Durham.

LNER RAVEN A2 2403.JPG

LNER Raven A2 Cab close up good.JPG

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Nice looking kit Mick; I would suggest though that the actual one you have there might be slightly later than 1985. That date may be in the instructions if that's when they were written and/or printed, but they may have been reprinted, without alterations, for later kits. I have DJH kits bought within the last 10 years that have instructions showing very old motors and gearboxes being fitted and it looks to me as if the instructions were simply reprinted for the newly made kits...

Not that inportant really - you're right of course that it does mean the kit was first issued in 1985!

Early morning pedantry...

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
They were all sold as Limited Editions . That would suggest a one off making of all the kits . I have no idea I wasnt modelling in 1985, the kids were taking all my money at that time !.

Has anyone ever seen the DJH kit for City Of Ripon when carrying a A1/3 Boiler ??. Never seen a photo of one built or of a kit! !.

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Wanted !!

I have now got to the chassis stage on the A2 and found that about 25 years ago DJH managed to supply 4 x 26mm plain and insulated Driving wheels , and for what ever reason they also included one insulated and one plain 27mm Drivers, all still in the original still sealed bag !!

Obviously the 27mm versions are not a lot of good 25 years on or even then.

Has anybody got a spare pair of 26mm Romford drivers with Nickel Silver tyres versions, one in Plain and one Insulated, without the cast balance weights versions please. A good price will be paid for them.

No one seems to sell the Romford or Markits versions at the moment. Wizard are out of the modern version.

Thanks.

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Latest update on the A2 .

Loco body is 99% finished . Need a final filler clean up and a location holes drilled for Three "Levers" on the Offside next to the Firebox , they will be fitted last as will other Brass fittings after painting and decalling. Cab interior to be painted then the Cab Roof will then be fitted and exterior painted etc.

I have located some Drivers via the Dark Side , and the chassis will be then finished. Then the Tender.

IMG_9914.jpeg

IMG_9913.jpeg