4mm Learning On The Job...

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
I have a Lima 31 that’s hardly been out of its box. Happy to pass it on for the cost of postage.

Sorry for the lateness of reply! Just got back from work. It's safe to say that James Bond is busy at the cinema!

That is so lovely of you Heather. Yes, please!

I will send you a private message tomorrow to arrange :)

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
I really ought to check it’s not affected by the Mazak rot. Fingers crossed it isn’t.

Yorkshire Dave popped a post/article up of all the currently known locos with Mazak rot. I don't believe that I saw it on the list. We have such a wonderful community on here! :)

Rich

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
Using a series of materials... work continues on getting some foliage down.

As you saw in the last update, I had done some static grass applications on the grassy bank. Now I have started to grass around the mainline itself. I am undecided on how far I want to go with greenery around the mainline. I know that it is fairly uncommon for there to be a lot of growth next to a mainline due to workers maintaining it. However, given that I don't have a very big layout, I may just take a little creative license and allow some maintained and out-of-control areas for my own pleasure.
20210930_190212.jpg

20210930_190305.jpg

I also took this opportunity, as this is the largest area to date that I have applied static grass, to start experimenting with other soft powder/foam materials to add contrast and an otherwise patchy look so that it doesn't look like an overgrown golf course. (all one colour and uniformity). I am pretty pleased with how it came out here.

Some (large) tufts were also added initially too long so that I could trim down after it had set to the desired length.
20210930_190330.jpg

As you can see here after I toned it down and added some additional "Fluff" (still experimenting with this method) to make a rather nice looking growth. All be it rather out of focus...20211002_155515.jpg

I then moved my focus to something more out of my comfort zone... I really wanted to create a creeping vine-type bush. I have been playing around with bushes for quite some time trying to get the 'look' outside of using seafoam. My last trip to our local hobby shop turned up some dried grass. Whilst I feel that it is probably closer suited to a larger scale for dried grass tufts or even perhaps a wheat field, I wanted to give it a go.

Done with the same method of gluing in a tuft initially, I then shoved a ball of this 'Poly Fibre' into the top and begun layering with other material(s). It looks OK but, not totally convinced with this one.
20210930_222047.jpg

This did, however, give me the idea of just using the fiber for the creeping vine that I mentioned above! Could this work? I will let you be the judge.
20210930_222023.jpg

You will see that I also laid some runs of cable. I did plan on using some actual wire for this but, it didn't fall to the surface as I would have hoped. It was either two ridged or, would require so much work to make it look as if it was meant to be that I chose an alternative of just using some black thread, soaked in a watered-down glue mix to lay down and let the various undulations take care of the rest.
20211002_161053.jpg

I would still like to add a little crossing here for the signal box workers to cut across the lines here. You can see where I have continued a trodden path next to the bush at the bottom that should simulate a look of use once I finally commit to actually making a crossing pathway.

For prosperity, here are the materials I have used for the various bushes, etc. very basic but, with practice, could yield some interesting foliage.
20211002_153615.jpg

Next post to come, I have finally managed to track down and start playing with some seafoam trees! How exciting! Like many things, seafoam trees have been in short supply for some time now and I somehow got my hands on a box! Beautiful...

Cheers,
Rich

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
I know I said in the next post I would be giving you a look at how I am getting on with some trees but, I just HAD to take a small detour first.

As a self-proclaimed steam enthusiast and the ripe age of 29, I will have to admit that my knowledge of inner workings and or even how to steam a loco is next to nothing...

I received a call from dad late Sunday night informing me of an invitation to a privately owned 7 1/4 inch railway. As if the stars aligned in my favour, I was working from 4pm Monday so I would be able to accept this offer and go. and whilst I wish that I got more photos of our time there, I can assure you that dad did in fact get some more to share.

So, what has this got to do with 'learning on the job'?

It was my first time learning how to drive (and keep alive) a steam loco.

I put on my big boy pants and took the controls of this not-so-little beauty. After some direction, a good couple of scoops of coal, a touch of blower I took it out of mid gear into forward, opened the drain cocks, released the breaks, and opened the regulator. Peep Peep on the whistle and we were off!

It's a hand-built 3" scale Quarry Hunslet. Moving off up the 1 in 30 gradient, the Hunslet chuffs up the hill pulling its summer open car with the most wonderful beat. Once at the top of the hill we take a little trip through the woods rejoining the mainline to come back down the 1 in 30 back to the start. Now that the loco is facing the wrong way, we head down into the runback paddock for the most challenging part of the railway into a reversing loop. Success! I managed to run the full line with no catastrophes. And what a wonderful experiance. The gents at this private railway were so welcoming and kind to let me loose on their toys. and another feather in my cap to say that I have now driven a steam engine.
20211004_143639.jpg
Puffin.png

This opens so many questions in my mind and is devilishly tempting to want one! perhaps in another life?

If you would like to see some videos of this, you can find more on YouTube... I did take some video footage but, I dont have a youtube account to be able to share.

Cheers,
Rich

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Here is the old man's take on the day...

Thanks to the great generosity, and trust of the railway owner, I am very glad that Rich was given such a fantastic opportunity!

After a quick explanation of what was what - and where, the owner let him loose - although he was happy to start by walking alongside, at Rich's request...

hvSAM_6340.JPG hvSAM_6341.JPG

Off they went, steadily climbing up the long, straight gradient.

I observed the tell-tale whiffs of exhaust and heard distant whistles at all the appropriate points and intervals, so was quite happy that everything was going well. Even better, as they returned, the owner was lounging in fully relaxed manner at the rear of the carriage - clearly indicating that he was perfectly content with his trainee's progress!

hvSAM_6346.JPG

I rather think that after a couple of trips along the entire line, the bug had bitten, and a young man is now thoroughly smitten?

hvSAM_6358.JPGhvSAM_6363.JPG

Rich certainly looked perfectly at home amongst the more seasoned enginemen - apart from his "kit" that is?!

hvSAM_6376.JPG

To be fair, he really wasn't expecting to find himself in charge of such a fabulous locomotive when we set out that morning!!

My only concern is that a little wooden engine might seem a bit small and tame by comparison now...?... !

hvSAM_6336.JPG
Pete.

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Me next, me next!
I’m not jealous… but I might be a little bit… haha

great work little brother… slipped the ladder, usually the training begins as a cleaner, then firemen and then driver.
Sadly my day out with little trains didn’t entail me driving one but I did take Scarlett riding down at the CMES open day
F055970E-96E2-415B-AA0D-1E20F736940D.jpeg
she makes a great passenger!

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
Gosh!

I keep doing this and allowing for weeks to pass between posts.

In my last update on the layout, I made the promise of trees. I had been playing with the idea of a tree or two on the layout as I wanted to add some interest in that form. The temptation is to grass everything and just regret doing too much. Less is often more after all. Trees are awfully tricky though (or at least I believe so). A tree is so vast and to get a 'natural' look is one that I struggle with.

I don't believe that I have the space on my small end-to-end layout but, a small bush-like shrub... that could be possible?

I had chosen the location of the small bank at the side of the bridge. The plan was to break up the edge of the bank where it meets the retaining brick wall. I have not permanently merged these two as I want to leave the option to remove the bridge and whilst at this angle, it looks fairly seamless (excusing the edge near us where there is clearly an empty void), to hide that edge with a 'tree' was the plan.
20210930_015454.jpg

I got to work with firstly spraying the seafoam brown and then after giving them a squirt of spray adhesive, patching on different tones of scatters and leaves.

What was I just saying about less being more? Whoops... got carried away and engulfed the whole bank! Now, don't get me wrong, they are OK but, not quite right in my mind. This has since been pulled all the way back and I am playing with some different ideas to work on this.
download.png

Trees aside. I also started some embankment for an otherwise unoccupied area of land. As my layout is all one level. I wanted to add some different layers. To have it all flat would have been a little too boring for me and again, coming back to the habit of wanting to cover everything in grass would only add to this one dimensional way of thinking. Here is a pic of the sculping material in pure brilliant white (hence the awful lighting in the photo).
20211118_214506.jpg
20211120_175715.jpg

Some other little odd jobs that I have done since the last update also include... The platform.

As one of the first painting jobs I did on the layout was the platform. I have never truly liked the colour I chose to paint them with. I have spent some time playing with colours and different techniques to tone this down from the original primer colour. You can see here the original grey I used. 20211003_174437.jpg

I found some references for the same style of platform and as you can see.. this simply won't do... I only wish I had done this a long time ago but, it's in the spirit of learning on the job right?
Capture.PNG

With this in mind, I got to work with adding variation in colour with the airbrush and washes...
20211121_105657.jpg

That's a bit better! The platform itself still needs a lot of attention. I foolishly used a plaster of Paris for the platform itself and it has some interesting porous properties with the painting that always changes the colour after drying, adding a blue-ish hue to the naked eye. One that I am not happy with. I am toying with the idea of stripping it all back and starting again in favour of a more forgiving material.

What have you made your platforms from? I am interested in what other options are out there that I will likely not have thought about.

Cheers,
Rich

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
Such a dreadfully busy life that we all lead can put us in a place of making time for our passions harder than ever to achieve. as a result, you can see that I haven't updated here in some time. I had to move the railway some time ago into a better-suited location and sadly as a result, the layout has been a little bit forgotten about. Whilst this is the case for updates regarding the progress, and general work on the layout, it has afforded me the time to crack on with some other passions of bashing out some kits.

Never-the-less.. Here is a small update of where we got up to.
20211120_180312.jpg

A nice broken and unloved (yet functional) foot crossing from the signal box that leads over the line into the sidings. Whilst this is in need of some weathering and is probably not up to code with line side health and safety, adds a nice little bit of interest.

Up the siding, we see a newly fitted buffer stop with suitable levels of overgrowth. This will stop those pesky runaways from plunging off the layout and into the abiss... We wouldn't want any reenactments of any loco's plunging off the edge into 'Clara Revien' out of a famous 80's movie. (BTTF 3)
20211121_113208.jpg

20211121_113141.jpg

Whilst these are almost pointless updates, there is an update that I must approach in this. Unfortunately, due to the nature of my 'learning on the job', I have found that my craftsmanship of the baseboards, helped by the fact the baseboards are suspended on rails, has started showing signs of bowing. Strangely, it is mostly in the left-most corner of the platform section that has bowed upwards. As a result, some repair works will be needed to address the issue(s) of what is going on. It is possible, in the move, I have not supported it correctly and time has been allowed for the slow movement and or destruction.

I am hoping that this can be fixed and not result in me having to replace major sections or worse, starting again with the baseboards.

For now, the layout is on standby until a time can be made to address these concerns and make a plan to move forward.

Cheers,
Rich