Layout of a lifetime - workshop build

Mabel

PK, thanks for reminding me about the straps. It was remiss of me not to mention them.
I have fitted them, roughly 2m apart. At 1m in length, I managed to attach over 5 courses of block work. I don't use the plug and screw method any more. I use 100mm masonry screws otherwise known as frame screws. They come with a Torx head, with a Torx bit included in each box of fixings. Drill a 5.5mm pilot hole (so it clears the holes in the galv strap without damaging the galv coating), then drive the Torx masonry screw straight into the hole. No plug required. Very impressive fixings. I only discovered them when starting my roof. The wall plates are attached with the same Torx masonry screws. I used 150mm screws to fix them. You can use a normal battery drill/driver for these fixings (I used to). But a proper impact driver makes very light work of the task. I cant recommend them enough for anyone that is a diyer or serial layout builder.

Attachments

• 71712BBA-E230-4718-B42A-572156DB3B06.jpeg
    71712BBA-E230-4718-B42A-572156DB3B06.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 9

Osgood

Western Thunderer
It's a real shame the BBC went for a rather trite headline because the modelling is rather very good. Again when you think this is 2mm scale.
Indeed!
All joking aside, it really is quite stunning and well worth a serious watch.
Doesn't he just sum up the joys of the hobby?

Michael's Youtube channel sounds worth watching too - here is a link to one recent episode:

Sorry for diversion - as you were with masonry fixings....

King Crab

Western Thunderer
PK, thanks for reminding me about the straps. It was remiss of me not to mention them.
I have fitted them, roughly 2m apart. At 1m in length, I managed to attach over 5 courses of block work. I don't use the plug and screw method any more. I use 100mm masonry screws otherwise known as frame screws. They come with a Torx head, with a Torx bit included in each box of fixings. Drill a 5.5mm pilot hole (so it clears the holes in the galv strap without damaging the galv coating), then drive the Torx masonry screw straight into the hole. No plug required. Very impressive fixings. I only discovered them when starting my roof. The wall plates are attached with the same Torx masonry screws. I used 150mm screws to fix them. You can use a normal battery drill/driver for these fixings (I used to). But a proper impact driver makes very light work of the task. I cant recommend them enough for anyone that is a diyer or serial layout builder.
Sounds like you have done a proper job!
When our 'builder' had finished the roof, I found a pile of straps lying in the attic.
They had been bought and delivered, but he hadn't bothered to fit them...
It was a real pain getting them fitted afterwards.

Thanks for the Torx masonry screws tip.

PK

Mabel

There is only so much I can share about masonry fixings :D

I have watched the Chandwell videos from his first one. I have learnt quite a lot. I learned mostly, that I am useless at designing anything on a computer! Although I have adopted Michaels approach to window frames using the sticky label method.

Mabel

Sounds like you have done a proper job!
When our 'builder' had finished the roof, I found a pile of straps lying in the attic.
They had been bought and delivered, but he hadn't bothered to fit them...
It was a real pain getting them fitted afterwards.

Thanks for the Torx masonry screws tip.

PK
Toolstation is the cheapest supplier that I found.