Johns LNWR gallery

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
One issue I have is that when the running plate is lined up with the wheels it doesnt reach the buffer beam
Frustrating. I don't have a good answer. Shortening the frames to draw the beam to the footplate is not much of a solution. Scabbing on more brass will not be easy, but may be your only choice.

Regarding the frames: Are they to be sprung? I think I see Slater's sprung axle guides. Are the coupling rods rigid? If so, they will compromise the springing action. Premier make a nice set of coupling rods for the Cauliflower. I have a set for my kit, which is waiting at least for you to finish this narrative. They are much thicker than the rods you have there, closer to prototype, and they are nicely fluted. The tricky bit is that they are prototypically jointed. In 4mm the cunvention is to joint the rods on the crank pins. The prototype does not do this often (the LNWR did on some 8 coupled) but rather had a joint next to the center pin. The Premier rods have a very nicely machined joint, and a steel rivet. I have used them on three locos. And soldered up the joints solid twice. needing unsoldering and cleaning up.

For the coal tank I got it right: I dry assembled the three parts, and applied a small drop of oil to the pin from the front, and a tiny drop of flux from the back. This prevents the solder creeping forward to the front half of the rod. When the rod drops of its own weight when held horizontally, you have it right.

I assume you used jig axles to set up the axle guides. You will need to check the spacing if you use another set of rods such as a Premier set.

Chassis assembly is a delicate bit of work. I learned how in 4mm, and have had good luck with my four kits since switching to 7mm.

How are you picking up power? I can commend plungers, but they are more easily drilled for while the chassis is in the flat.

Kevin

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin
I found the measurements from the center of the front driving wheel to the back of the buffer beam. It would seem that the frames may be too long. The coupling rods are being use to locate the wheel sets. Im not using fluted rods as the early ones didnt have them. The wheels also need to be Colined(S7 ed) as they look far too chunky to me.
John

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin
I found the measurements from the center of the front driving wheel to the back of the buffer beam. It would seem that the frames may be too long. The coupling rods are being use to locate the wheel sets. Im not using fluted rods as the early ones didnt have them. The wheels also need to be Colined(S7 ed) as they look far too chunky to me.
John
John,

The frames being too long may be the best answer. A little careful filing should set you straight. Mind, if it were me, the frames would not end with nice square ends. Re the coupling rods, if they are rigid, they still will frustrate the springing. As for turning down the flanges to be more fine, that may create an issue when it comes time to run the loco, assuming that you are running 7mm scale as opposed to S7. If you ARE running S7 the wheels are a mm too close in back to back. I think.

Kevin

Overseer

Western Thunderer
A bit of progress on the 18inch goods. Im no engine builder im keeping my fingers crossed that it works out
John
John, you will find it easier to build engines if you uncross your fingers. It is looking good, although the chimney and dome look pretty average. Not sure if you are planning to replace them, if you can’t find better let me know and I will make some for you.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
John,

The frames being too long may be the best answer. A little careful filing should set you straight. Mind, if it were me, the frames would not end with nice square ends. Re the coupling rods, if they are rigid, they still will frustrate the springing. As for turning down the flanges to be more fine, that may create an issue when it comes time to run the loco, assuming that you are running 7mm scale as opposed to S7. If you ARE running S7 the wheels are a mm too close in back to back. I think.

Kevin
Hi Kevin it has S7 axels

and the coupling rods Will be jointed
John

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
John, you will find it easier to build engines if you uncross your fingers. It is looking good, although the chimney and dome look pretty average. Not sure if you are planning to replace them, if you can’t find better let me know and I will make some for you.
Thats very nice of you Fraser, I was Looking at the Laurie Griffin casting
John

Last edited:

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi the 18inch goods is slowly moving forward. The cab and boiler are Just resting in place but it does give an idea of the loco
John

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin
John
Hi John , did you resolve the issue with the frames being too long at the front or the footplate being short , which one was it ?

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi John , did you resolve the issue with the frames being too long at the front or the footplate being short , which one was it ?
Hi Paul
Yes I did there is a left and right fold near the front of the frames that I Just hadnt noticed

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Ah. That makes sense! The frames are too close together, but in front of the smokebox they have joggled them so that the visible gap between the frames is correct. That's the way I've done it on models too.

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
There was a mystical air about ex.LNWR locos when I was young, but all that was left by the time I became a teenager were the 0-8-0's. Design features like cab and tender steps and boiler fitting and slashers, that went back to primitive days, all helped to make the LNWR very much different from the rest. The Cauli's absolutely ooze character and always make interesting models.