Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Not sure if you've seen this thread on "the dark side" but it may be of interest ;)

Cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark
Thanks. I’d not seen that; RMWeb is not the best site for my iPhone. And even logged in, I get pop up videos… so I tend to avoid it.

There are certainly a bunch of variations in Larkin Volume 2. I must admit I’d not considered the dark grey; certainly the ones I’m using are a much lighter grey - the black panel shows up very easily. And I’m sticking with the non-painted interior; I figure that a lot of the paint wouldn’t have lasted long!

Thanks again

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Buried Treasure
Another day, another eBay. There wasn’t much wrong with this ABS Flat Twin; the only issue was that there was a slight bow in the side members of one of them that meant the ‘floor’ didn’t fit properly.

In taking it up, I broke it, so am having to replace it. I think it might be Slaters embossed Plastikard, so I’ve ordered some to see. In the interim, I though I’d try and replicate something from 20 thou plain.
IMG_2285.jpeg

What was interesting to me was the level of work revealed after I’d subjected the wagon to some Phoenix Precision Paint Superstrip - tough stuff that copped with the rattlecan black easily, but is still not tough enough to take off the grey from the whitemetal.

IMG_2282.jpeg
After the bath, there’s a lovely depth of detail revealed. The underfloor is brass, and serves as a mounting plate for the MJT rocking units (and is also soldered to the wagon sides and ends which nixes any chance of reworking the outward bow). The brake safety loops are thin strips of NS. The buffers are sprung.

Someone went to a lot of trouble to get this kit right, and restoring it is going to be both an honour (certainly) and a pleasure (I hope!). The one thing the previous builder didn’t do was number and letter them. I shall probably have to get something custom made from Railtec.

I believe this to be a LNER Dia. 164. Of the three modified open wagon variants, Tatlow V4 has some details on them, but the running numbers at unknown. I’ll do some more digging, but I might just make something up…

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Happy Ending

Finished at last, the GNR Brake van sits quietly on the quayside at Watkins Wharf, waiting for someone to guide it back over the sharp access point. That bloody photographer has some questions to answer…

IMG_2456.jpeg
Google Photos tells me I started this kit back on October 2nd, 2023. It has been a learning experience (that’s what we’re here for, right?) and I don’t think I’d have finished it without the excellent support of the kit designer - Tad at diagram3D. Or the support and encouragement of my online family (that includes you lot, of course :))

I’m not going to weather it just yet. If at all. Just because I don’t feel brave enough to. Yet.

An unbuilt D&S whitemetal kit sold at the weekend for £44 and change. I’ve seen them go for £80+ before now. So if you want something different at the back of your NE London-bound coal train, then these are very much to be considered. Especially if you model in 00.IMG_2455.jpeg

Cheers

Jan

Attachments

• IMG_2452.jpeg
    IMG_2452.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Very nice work Jan and well worth the time it took.
Thank you @AdeMoore
It hasn’t been a whole year spent on this, but at times it’s felt like it! The kit is very much a ‘starter for ten’ and I’ve gone as far as I think it’s possible with the after-market ‘souping up’ (barring compensation, but I think that might be a bridge too far.) But none of it would have been possible without the support to the evolutions from the designer.

Thanks again
Cheers

Jan

Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Back To Basics: a little locomotory interlude.
Years ago (more than I care to remember), I built a 48DS… Impetus; before Judith Edge, before Hornby RTR.. Trouble was, in the intervening years, it wouldn't pull the whatchamacallit off a thingamajig, and I’d gone back and forth with drive trains and the like so much that the chassis was becoming decidedly indifferent to being my friend.. So at the weekend, encouraged by having managed to finally get something on the layout moving for the fist time in Many A Sparrows Moon, I dug this RT Models chassis etch out.

1727161106244.png

I reckon that was about an hours work. A fold up tray; none of that messing around with sides and untabbed L-shaped spacers.. The most difficult part was broaching out the bearing holes… Some 60/40 solder, and some Carr’s Red Flux. And my Hold and Fold. Lovely stuff. I did have to chase out the half etch lines with a square needle file.. The next step is the power train. RT Models recommend a Slimliner, but High Level do a Slimliner PLUS. Not sure what the difference is...

Anyway, I might try and resurrect the drive train from the current incarnation; it's not like it's done much work! It will be interesting to see if it fits... The brakes are next..

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Jon

Thanks.
Whisper this: it's nice to do something away from wagons... :eek:

A little Brucie Bonus for you...

Cheers

Jan
Wonderful, Jan.

Loving the robust looking trackwork too.

Goes to show that strict wheel and track standards - and the skills to achieve of course ;) - go a long way to banishing the dreaded wheel-drop :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing.

Jon

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Ah this looks interesting! Loco building soldering tips I.e. Carrs Red flux, 60/40 solder ummm got the 2nd item not the 1st. Funnily enough dug my No.5 loco out Sunday and restarted it. Fettling only soldering next.
Is there a thread on your layout?
can’t click your video link as if there is sound it will wake Mrs Ade next to me at circa 01.00hrs in the morning! Ask me how I know that .
Will do at breakfast.
Looking forward to more updates.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Wonderful, Jan.

Loving the robust looking trackwork too.

Goes to show that strict wheel and track standards - and the skills to achieve of course ;) - go a long way to banishing the dreaded wheel-drop :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing.

Jon
Hi Jon
Thanks. The (one day…) inset trackwork is probs a bit OTT, but when I built it, there was no suitable ‘check rail’ substitute. Examples do exist of this method if construction in the prototype. There’s another 2 boards of it behind the camera (and several but left over from where I reworked the trackplan a few years ago!)

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Ah this looks interesting! Loco building soldering tips I.e. Carrs Red flux, 60/40 solder ummm got the 2nd item not the 1st. Funnily enough dug my No.5 loco out Sunday and restarted it. Fettling only soldering next.
Is there a thread on your layout?
can’t click your video link as if there is sound it will wake Mrs Ade next to me at circa 01.00hrs in the morning! Ask me how I know that .
Will do at breakfast.
Looking forward to more updates.
Hi @AdeMoore
Thank you. No; Watkins Wharf Wagon Works doesn’t have a layout thread. It’s hoped it will; I’ve been compiling (concocting) a faux history of the company based on research of real life examples and local social history, but at the moment, it’s all notes on a page. Amongst other things. my vision also needs ModelU to make a tea trolley, to give Beryl something to do :D

Believe me, the video is not worth the potential marital friction :) I put the brakes on the chassis last night. Not straightforward, and I’ll need to revisit them to align them better, but it was good to get something positive out of the day (work sucks).

Thanks again

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Jon
Thanks. The (one day…) inset trackwork is probs a bit OTT, but when I built it, there was no suitable ‘check rail’ substitute. Examples do exist of this method if construction in the prototype. There’s another 2 boards of it behind the camera (and several but left over from where I reworked the trackplan a few years ago!)

Cheers

Jan
I recall reading something about this type of continuous check rail on the late Peter Johnson’s Canada Street (the later layout bearing the name), but I could be wrong?

Jon