Ironwork colours

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

I'm looking to paint (somewhat sharpish!) some iron bridge support columns, plus platework on some bridges. I'm looking for a general grey base colour, onto which I can add other greys, rust etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations (preferably enamel as I am comfortable spraying that) for the initial grey coat?

Thanks

Richard

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Richard,

If your columns and platework are brass, you could try Simoniz Cellulose Grey Primer, or if they are plastic / plastikard you could try Hycote Acrylic Grey Primer.

I have used both makes, and both give a lovely smooth medium grey base for successive coats. The cellulose primer sprays on very well, but I haven't seen it in shops lately, so it may have been discontinued.

If you are looking for the base grey to appear as part of the weathered surface, then I'm not so sure what to use as I'm a total novice when it comes to the art of weathering, and being colour blind doesn't help much either!

Hope this helps,

Roger Fry

S

Simon Dunkley

The obvious answer would be Humbrol Matt 92, called iron grey, except it seems not to be in production.

However, it has been discussed elsewhere.

Edit: What about Humbrol 31, slate grey?