How Good Is 3d Printing For Small Scale Stuff?

Hello Gentlemen of technical knowledge and wisdom. Last winter I started my wintertime/rainy day indoor railway project, based heavily on a stuck in the head, childhood read of the 1979 Model Railway Constructor annual and the layout described as South for Moonshine. A bi level out & back layout with hidden storage sidings that allows for train's in and totally different trains out!

As Summer finally came(!) and attention turned to outdoor activities, I left it at the half built baseboard stage and now it's time to finish them off. My take on it will feature twin termini which as a London boy, will allow me to mix my favourite stock, including some Underground, set in the span of the 70's to the early 90's. The original was built in OO and that was how I was proceeding. However, with all the new models that have taken 40 years to appear in N Gauge (sorry 2mm, 2FS) and others promised, I am tempted to go back to that scale and double it's size and add another level through the excess width of the boards.

This was the original thought with the build but there were two items of stock missing that made me stick to OO, namely the class 121 and the class 166. Despite it's dodgy silver window frames, Dapol have addressed the 121 and although Bachmann said a long long time ago that they would duplicate their OO range in N, this is only just starting to happen and I cant see a 166 happening as it's now an old model. So, after that long winded introduction here comes the question.

I have found 3d bodies of the missing 166 available on Shapeways as a scratch aid: http://www.shapeways.com/model/627470/nse-class-166-3-car-dmu-n.html but there is very little information on their quality in the wider world of the web, other than this: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/in...lass-165-166-networker-turbos-from-shapeways/

What is your opinion or knowledge of 3d modeling in smaller scales or items and how much do you feel the layering effect would exaggerate in the overall appearance of these body shells?

Dean

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Looking at the shells in the topic you linked to, there appears to be little in the way of layering to them. There is very little in the way of layering in FUD, but the one thing you do have to watch, as I have learnt, is that some parts can end up with a very rough finish, such as the left hand side of these parts:
IMG_2693web.jpg
I don't know enough about the machine these parts are produced on, or the methods it employs, so can't speculate on the reason, but it's something to do with print orientation, I think. I complained about the finish, so Shapeways reprinted the parts, but the reprints were just as bad! I'm now contemplating ways of getting the finish on the parts a bit better.

Hi Pugsley and thank you for the input.

What I know about 3d printing you could write on the back of a postage stamp! Having looked around the worlds biggest library though, frosting seems to be a draw back to the process and is one of my concerns given the scale. In the photo of the unit in primer, I can see major lines along the body which is what I meant by the layering effect. The trouble is that there are no other images of the shells anywhere else to compare to, which is why I raised the question.

I think my best bet will be to get the rest of the baseboards finished and then take a look at them again, maybe by then there might be further builds to review and I can make a decision on scale.

Regards
Dean