Help with Tetbury please

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Please can anyone help me with a track diagram of Tetbury station, goods shed and engine shed?
I'm looking to build a home for my 14xx and this location will suit my needs and space available, however, I cannot find the track plan on line.

Any help gratefully appreciated .

Richard.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Ah, hmmm... what you might want is "The Tetbury Branch" which was published by Wild Swan Publications - a contact for such is likely to be Simon (@Simon) of the Titfield Bookshop, Lambridge Road, Bath.

West Junction

Western Thunderer
Richard

Here is the track plan taken from the Wild Swan Book. The book is well worth getting if you can get a copy, but I couldn't see it in the Titfield Bookshop lists. It is a jpeg image as I don't seem to be able to upload it as a pdf file.

Tetbury track plan.jpg

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
That's really useful! Thanks for going to the trouble to post it!
I have succumbed to the Timbertracks goods shed, station building, engine shed and parcel office. Im hoping to shoe horn a creamery in too!
As I only have 12'6. X7'6" to play with (excluding fiddle yard) I am clearly going to have to axe a fair bit of track!

markjj

Western Thunderer
You will need an extension to build it Richard I think the buildings alone will fill that space. 1 chain is 462mm in 7 mm scale a chain is 66 feet just incase you want to plan it out.

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
You will need an extension to build it Richard I think the buildings alone will fill that space. 1 chain is 462mm in 7 mm scale a chain is 66 feet just incase you want to plan it out.
Killjoy!! :(

I have all the 'footprint' dimensions of the buildings, so I will make up some templates and see what I can fit in!

Last edited:

markjj

Western Thunderer
Not at all lol... you will find a way to do it you can compress the yards quite a bit as they are on a long curve or better still ask your good lady if you can have more space

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
I hope there will be room to get the atmosphere and essence of the station and surrounding buildings.
It's all about compromise and moving things a lot closer, without making it feel cramped. It's quite a shocker when you actually realise just how much space these country stations took up.
I guess the land was cheaper in the country.

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Just taken a look...I'm wondering if I can turn it in to a U shape, and build up the cutting a bit to hide the severity of the curve?
That would give me approx 32' scenic and around 5'6" for a traverser or cassette deck fiddle yard in the utility room. I'm sure I can swing it :)

markjj

Western Thunderer
Just taken a look...I'm wondering if I can turn it in to a U shape, and build up the cutting a bit to hide the severity of the curve?
That would give me approx 32' scenic and around 5'6" for a traverser or cassette deck fiddle yard in the utility room. I'm sure I can swing it :)

You can actually condense it quite a bit things like the headhunters could be cut right down if you only use little locos. I'm sure you could also do as you say and turn it to a Ushape how much width do you have? The radius of the curve will be your deciding factor.

markjj

Western Thunderer
Only a bit!! :eek:

You wait until you try to cram the S&C in to you loft :thumbs:

I'm not scared though I doubt my other half will go in the loft she's too scared of spiders lol.
I actually fancy pushing the boat out and making an S&C midland style signal box shed with a garden layout as well I wonder if she will wear it lol....

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
I will only be running the 14xx, 54xx, class 22, Hymek possibly a warship and may possibly really push my luck and squeeze the 4mt along the line.
OK, probably not prototypical, not even Western region, but irresistible!
If I go for a U, Im really stuck with excruciating 3' radius, so may try an arc from the bottom left corner to the top right, being fed from the fiddle area in the utility room. I can't do the maths due to over doing the cava, but that should give a little more room than a straight line up one side of the room?

markjj

Western Thunderer
I will only be running the 14xx, 54xx, class 22, Hymek possibly a warship and may possibly really push my luck and squeeze the 4mt along the line.
OK, probably not prototypical, not even Western region, but irresistible!
If I go for a U, Im really stuck with excruciating 3' radius, so may try an arc from the bottom left corner to the top right, being fed from the fiddle area in the utility room. I can't do the maths due to over doing the cava, but that should give a little more room than a straight line up one side of the room?
I think an arc would be a better option I don't think you would get the 4mt round a 3ft curve or the hymek and warship. The 14xx will go I used to run mine round the old peco sm32.Setrack which I think is only 2ft6 radius. Your a lightweight Richard I'm on the red tonight lol...