Hello from Derbyshire!

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

My name is Mark, and I hail from North-east Derbyshire (although I'm originally from Somerset).

I've been lifelong model-maker since my first Matchbox Westland Lysander at age 7 or 8 (what a mess that was!). Aeroplanes were supplemented from about age twelve with railway subjects and subsequently phased out, although in my twenties I became deeply interested in WW1 subjects in 1/48th scale. I had a lot of Eduard kits although I didn't manage to actually complete anything.

I've continued sporadic railway modelling down the years, which as always has been to 4mm/1ft scale and generally set around 1900-1905. At the moment, I'm building a Lynton & Barnstaple quayside scene in 009, while I have two standard gauge layouts that I'm about to make a start on. One of these is early-BR steam, the other a light railway, both are micros to EM Gauge Society standards on Grainge & Hodder baseboards.

Kind regards,

Mark

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

My name is Mark, and I hail from North-east Derbyshire (although I'm originally from Somerset).

I've been lifelong model-maker since my first Matchbox Westland Lysander at age 7 or 8 (what a mess that was!). Aeroplanes were supplemented from about age twelve with railway subjects and subsequently phased out, although in my twenties I became deeply interested in WW1 subjects in 1/48th scale. I had a lot of Eduard kits although I didn't manage to actually complete anything.

I've continued sporadic railway modelling down the years, which as always has been to 4mm/1ft scale and generally set around 1900-1905. At the moment, I'm building a Lynton & Barnstaple quayside scene in 009, while I have two standard gauge layouts that I'm about to make a start on. One of these is early-BR steam, the other a light railway, both are micros to EM Gauge Society standards on Grainge & Hodder baseboards.

Kind regards,

Mark
Welcome Mark.
Your modelling sounds interesting. Always a fan of micros.. Pictures (not thumbnails) are as sunlight here; illuminating, and welcomed.

Cheers

Jan

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Welcome Mark.
Your modelling sounds interesting. Always a fan of micros.. Pictures (not thumbnails) are as sunlight here; illuminating, and welcomed.

Cheers

Jan
Thanks, Jan, I hope I can live up to the fine traditions of the Forum!
I'll open threads for my projects soon, with photos of course.
The L&B layout has been "in build" for about six months and is most advanced, but not much track has been laid as it's evolved in a slightly as hoc way. Plus I ordered some professionally-built pointwork rather than build my own (another skill set yet to master....!) which has yet to be installed.
The two EM layouts are a more recent thing, one baseboard kit arrived on Monday, the other should follow soon.
Unfortunately, I'm a serial wagon builder, everything else takes a bit of a back stage!
All the best,
Mark

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Jan, I hope I can live up to the fine traditions of the Forum!
I'll open threads for my projects soon, with photos of course.
The L&B layout has been "in build" for about six months and is most advanced, but not much track has been laid as it's evolved in a slightly as hoc way. Plus I ordered some professionally-built pointwork rather than build my own (another skill set yet to master....!) which has yet to be installed.
The two EM layouts are a more recent thing, one baseboard kit arrived on Monday, the other should follow soon.
Unfortunately, I'm a serial wagon builder, everything else takes a bit of a back stage!
All the best,
Mark
Hello Mark
Wagons are good. There are many of us here. It’s a safe space :). You should take a look at Adam’s @AJC work. And @iak63 too.

I know what you mean about everything else taking backstage. My layout has been bare boards for 30+ years!

Cheers

Jan

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Don't worry about this. It is a know condition and as Jan @Lyndhurstman says, there are lots of us here. A possible remedy (temporary of course) is to buy a loco kit, but otherwise then really the only treatment possible is to do another wagon :cool:
Hi Richard,

Thanks, it's good to know I'm in good company!

I've recently bought a couple of loco kits, but fear to make a start in case of disaster due to lack of experience. But experience is only gained from trying. Catch 22! But the EM projects both need locos so I need to get on and give it a go.

All the best,
Mark