7mm Heljan Western up-grade

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Someone has subsequently produced a "font" for this, its not a recognized font, it is available on the web to download and is a reasonable representation of the headcode lettering.

BR switched from Gil Sans to Rail Alphabet in about 1965 when the blue livery was introduced. Rail Alphabet is a recognised font and can be purchased I would have done until I saw the price of £1,000 ! for a full copy.

Richard

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Brian,

Very nice detailing, and it is definitely an improvement on the Heljan Western.

Your first photo at the start of the thread shows the ATC earthing brush on the inner axle of a Western's "B" bogie.
See this thread where bogie detail has been previously discussed:- http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/western-speedo-drive.3158/#post-82208

All Westerns had ATC earthing brushes from new until withdrawal.
There is only one earthing brush per loco. On Westerns it is always at "B" end on the inner axle on the secondman's side.

You say you have seen pictures of some locos with the ATC earthing brush, and some without the ATC earthing brush.
Those photos of locos "without the earthing brush" are infact showing "A" end bogie and not "B" end. The inner axle on the secondman's side at "A" end does not have any equipment attached to it, and never did.

As far as I know all the preserved Westerns no longer have their ATC earthing brushes. Certainly D1013 and D1062 do not have their earthing brushes now.

Roger

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Light and Dark weights of someones version of Rail Alphabet avavilable for download from the other place:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8826-br-corporate-rail-alphabet-fonts/?p=92020
The light looks pretty spot on to me, although the spacing needs increasing for everything Ive tried.

Jon

Thanks for that, they are pretty good , more than good enough for me, the Arctik isn't bad either, but neither of them are genuine Rail Alphabet and will be different somewhere in the font.

Richard

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
With my former designer and typoholic head on, headcode lettering is a modified form of Gill Sans, which was the adopted corporate typeface of the British Railways Board. It was used for documents, signage, wagon, carriage and loco numbering and lettering until the new look was introduced in the mid-1960s. Even then, until headcodes went out of use, they remained the Gill variant.

Brian has a font called "Headcode", which replicates it pretty accurately. I will look out for a copy of that, though I suspect I could happily bodge the standard Gill Sans to suit. These new-fangled compooter gizmos are good at that. ;)

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I'd avoid Arctik because the glyphs don't look properly drawn to me, but the most obvious problem with it jumps out at you when you type "British Rail" - the dot over the i is round and not square as it should be!

Heather I think you might be right about the headcode font being a modified Gill Sans, but very heavily modified - the tails on 6 and 9 are straight not curved, the middle stroke on M is much lower, the 8 isn't symmetrical etc.

The good thing for modellers is that the head code font doesn't seem to be very standard across regions and over time, so some variation is ok. Compare the 8 below:

images.jpeg images-1.jpeg
Toton 1974 and Stoke 1973

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian,

Some great work.:thumbs: . Going by the Headcode panel the loco's identity is D1028 Western Hussar. Although if this is the case Brian then she wouldn't have had the headboard clips on either end.

Rob:)

Brian Daniels

Western Thunderer
I still haven't sorted what one it is Rob, just playing around and noticed that 28 had the grill.

Interesting stuff on fonts!

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Very interesting stuff on the fonts.

If you need the measurements of those front vents I have them written down, if you choose to do one with the square vents.

I will be doing D1039 Western King which has the rectangle vent as opposed to the square vent.

Looking forward to the next progress pics of this beauty, whichever one you decide on.:thumbs:

Andrew Thompson

Western Thunderer
Rob

Come on Rob don't be mean share and share alike .

Seriously I would be interested in the measurements as still got Western Sultan to finish .

Andrew

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
OK Andrew, i have just fetched my notes of the measurements and they are

9.5 inch x 8.5 inch x 1 inch depth. These are the same for D1056 and D1071. I would also guess that D1012 and D1028 would be the same.

D1039 is a rectangle but dont have those measurements so if anyone could help with that , that would be great.

Brian Daniels

Western Thunderer
Thanks for those measurements Rob I will pass them on to Pete Harvey so he can do an etch of some description. I could have sworn they were square!

You haven't got a decent picture for Pete to work from I suppose?