Hartley Hill The Other Side Of The Fence

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mick my intention was to build ten of them as the fiddle yards of Hartley Hill will only be able to accommodate ten to twelve wagons but in seven mm that still has the visual impact of a long train I'm going to get one from POW sides to see how they are
Again thanks for your comments .Im just finishing two more of the hoppers then ill start on a build of four will I will chronicle here .I have been speaking to Colin Dowling about turning some wagon wheels so that they are true to scale it might be worth speaking to him when you see him next

Tony West

Western Thunderer
Well done John, the interiors are a vast improvement on the originals...all part of the learning curve !!....
Dont worry Mick ...in my book any pit accessed from the GC was a'proper' pit !!!....ducks for cover for when John reads this !!!:)) .
John have you started putting together a pre grouping coal train ??, would be most interested in seeing your progress:thumbs: .
Cheers Tony.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony yes I I have almost Finnished the coal train (one of them ) the wagons are just wagons that took my fancy over the years so not strictly a LNWR coal train in future the wagons will be either be drawn from photos or on information so that the trains will be authentic for the area
Regards john

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
I have absolutely no idea what a side knee iron is

It's an 'L' shaped piece that bolts to the top of the transverse members under the floor and then curves up to support the side sheeting either side of the door (and there's an extra one each side if the wagon has an end door). Because it has to support the sides of the wagon against the pressure of the load it is quite chunky – about 2.5" thick at the base tapering to <1" at the top. On merchandise wagons it is on the outside (the door is wider and the interior needs to be unencumbered) and is curved under and bolted to the front face of the solebar. In later wagons it was made from T-angle iron, again with a taper to the top.

Nice wagons though... :)

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Hi I've been looking at the drawing on your post of the hopper wagons and it looks to me as if the floor on the slaters kit may not be correct ther are some photos on the other place which seem to confirm this .What do you think

I assume the LNER drawing shows the LNER built wagons - there are some differences such as the end stanchions being T iron instead of wood, but I have not studied differences in any detail and have no great knowledge of these wagons.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
View attachment 28182 I've been thinking of giving this a go

What is there to think about?

A: do you have the confidence to do this...you probably do but have yet failed to recognise that fact.
B: will it be fun....most certainly once you realize the answer to A is yes.
C: will it be your most prized possession.... more than likely until you finish the next one following this.
D: will you be totally happy with your work once finished....probably not but you'll move onward with the next one. None the less the first is always special, even if it turns into a Goth/Punk and rebels as a teenager!

In case you reply..."but look at all those bits"...remember this, you can only work with two or possibly three bits at a time, therefore, there are not lots of bits, just lots of two or three bits to stick together.

Tony West

Western Thunderer
That brings back some memories !!, Modellers World was my 'local' model shop back in the early/ mid 1980's.
The proprietor, Barry Jones was a genuine enthusiast and managed to empty my wallet on a very regular basis !!.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
image.jpg hi I thought I'd actually do some modelling as it's been a while so I've fitted the buffers and couplings just now When I've Finished this I'm probably going to make the first signal for Hartley Hill so hopefully photo's to follow .One nice thing about this kit is that the resin is grey a much better idea
John

Osgood

Western Thunderer
John - sorry but I've just spotted a chauldron wagon lurking behind. Can you reveal more of this little fella please, and its origin?

Thanks, Tony

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi erm yes I got it at keen house at an o gauge doo they are still made I'm just trying too think who leave it with me I'll find out
John