Hairy Bikers and Other Petrol Heads

simond

Western Thunderer
Well, not wanting to get political, but somebody somewhere forgot that the country’s wealth was in large part based on making stuff, and we used to be very good at it. Planes, trains & automobiles. And ships, hospital equipment, computers, and a gazillion other things.

But others invested time, effort and money and overtook us.

Well, not wanting to get political, but somebody somewhere forgot that the country’s wealth was in large part based on making stuff, and we used to be very good at it. Planes, trains & automobiles. And ships, hospital equipment, computers, and a gazillion other things.

But others invested time, effort and money and overtook us.
We are still very good at making stuff, I see lots of innovation in the Aerospace, Automotive and power industries. Unfortunately, we seem to have short-termism and indecision forced upon us by the government so innovation rarely sees the investment and support required to reach its potential ( and stay in this country).

Osgood

Western Thunderer
A report on BBC News website on the Jag dealership - Customers 'lose thousands' in Derby car dealership flood

One customer had his car up on a ramp - it was having its battery pack battery replaced under warranty.
He has been advised the car is a write-off because battery was on floor and was underwater.
He made the point that it was either his battery - that was being scrapped anyway, or a replacement which - because it had not been fitted - was still technically a stock item.
A compelling case one might think, but apparently no dice.
I think the next time my jalopy visits a garage I should establish just who will be responsible for it whilst it is on their premises.

What a load of utter
Things that go on rowing boats.jpg.

Last edited:

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I have a happier story of modern motoring, if trashing a perfectly good tyre on a pothole can be happy.

I met up with this pothole yesterday afternoon and I managed to get the car back to Broomfield Tyres, a small privately-run operation just north of Chelmsford. They showed me the 40 mm gash in the shoulder and offered me two options. They could fit a budget tyre from stock straight away, or lend me a part-worn tyre to keep me going while they got a Yokohama into stock. My car doesn't have a spare wheel.

I accepted the loan tyre, and returned this morning to let them fit the Yokohama. Afterwards, they checked all of the tyre pressures for me. I couldn't ask for better service.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Just had notification on my phone app that my Jag has been driven from Derby to Burton, so perhaps a repair is imminent..........

Genghis

Western Thunderer
And just found out that they drove it on a set of plates that is no longer legal...........

I have a 'cherished number' that, at Jaguar's suggestion, I put on retention when they thought it would be written off. So I duly wrote to them advising what the new number is, and they have duly ignored the information. Be interesting if picked up by a number plate camera.

On a brighter note, it is expected to be back with me at the end of next week.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Brian,

I've decided to change anyway. I had it in mind to change later this year anyway and I am still suspicious of a car that spent 3 months doing nothing. About 6 weeks before the new one arrives. I've just installed the charger for it.

Dave

simond

Western Thunderer
Dave,

I think replacement is a wise move. What are you getting? I think you might have said, but I can’t find it.

atb
Simon

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Turns out the update was done last week when it was there. Checked the date on the letter from Jag and found that Royal Mail had taken 10 days to deliver it..................

timbowales

Western Thunderer
Turns out the update was done last week when it was there. Checked the date on the letter from Jag and found that Royal Mail had taken 10 days to deliver it..................
Royal Mail letter delivery times are one of the unsolved mysteries of life………
I posted a letter from Llanelli in South Wales to Ayr, 2nd class, and it arrived the following day!
Tim T

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Vintage ploughing demonstrations at the Doe Show yesterday.

2024-02-06 10.54.23.jpeg
A 1943 Fordson Model N, 27 hp, petrol/TVO, 3-speed gearbox
working with a Ransomes Motrac No.3 two furrow trailer plough

2024-02-06 11.00.14.jpeg
A 1951 Fordson E27N, 30 hp, petrol/TVO, 3 -speed gearbox
working with a Ransomes Midtrac No.2 two furrow trailer plough

2024-02-06 11.00.11.jpeg
And both together.

The show is at Ulting (on the B1019 near Maldon) and continues today and tomorrow :)