Grotty Box Brownie Shots 1963 -65

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
The signalbox here holds many memories. My Dad was at this time Head Shunter at Bilston Central. Signalman "Big Duggie" was a nice guy and I spent rainy saturdays spotting from this vantage point.
1726381762616.jpeg
The weighbridge cabin is about level with the mineral wagon (possibly loaded with scrap from Arnott-Young's yard)
The shunters cabin is just behind it.

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
A highlighted memory from this time was 92220 EVENING STAR paused at the signal in the goods loop. She was on the Morris Cowley-Bathgate car train. I begged a cab ride alighting on the Down platform. No photo from me but this is near to what I remember of the train before the dieselisation of this service.

Last edited:

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
One day in 1963 I set off on an expedition alone as all my mates had gone to a big football match. I think it was Wolves V Southampton? I thought it might be a chance to snap some visiting engines. (but all I got was a double exposure of 34040!) On my way to catch a bus to Bilston I snapped a Parcels car from the top of a bridge. Between Daisy Bank and Bilston West. It would carry on to Priestfield.
1726429890958.jpeg
A grange at Bilston that day before I caught the train to Wolverhampton.1726467725659.jpeg Low Level station was deserted loco wise but I got a 5 over the wall on leaving1726467297550.jpeg
I walked down to Bushbury shed but could not get access. Grumpy Foreman! I got 44377 over a wall nearby. A really grotty shot!1726467518251.jpeg

Last edited:

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
I believe this was on my last visit to Oxley. Early 1965? I was losing interest in Railways as I was coming up to School leaving age (15 then). My favourite engines, Super Ds, Duchesses etc had gone. "Yellow striped" and banned south of Crewe. Oxley was used to store withdrawn locos. There were even a couple of V2s here on this visit (no photo).
45595 Southern Rhodesia and another Jubilee were snapped. 45595 was withdrawn in Jan '65 so shortly after then.1726555627511.jpeg
The other Jubilee Photo is in another box that has not yet been sorted out.

RonnieS

Western Thunderer
Down to about a dozen photos in this packet (but more in a "safe" place unsorted).
So; continuing with my growing dissatisfaction of 1965 railway matters. "Dastardly Diesels!"
What was later Class 47 (we called them bread vans) arrived like a plague of locusts in the area.1726561629398.jpeg

On passenger, alongside a "scrubber" as we called DMUs.
1726561749169.jpeg
and goods trains!