German Modelling

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
The brass stiles look very nice, how did you form them with such a consistent and smooth curve?

Hi Graham,

Not easy; I annealed the top of each strip, and bent it as tightly as I could around a small drill bit left in an oak block. That was not a tight enough radius, so it was out with the round nosed jewellery making pliers, and much manual manipulation and frequent straightening out (in the plane that was meant to be flat). There were quite a lot of witness marks left after this, and I had to use files and wet and dry to make the surface good.

I just checked it regularly against the plastic stiles, and while they are not 100%, I doubt anyone will notice when they are painted, and I'm happier that they have been strengthened. I did look for brass spares in the German after-sales market, but I could not find a match.

Cheers

Richard

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
After a while you begin to run out of superlatives for these ready to run Gauge 1 locos, so I will let the photos do the talking. Here is the latest addition to a burgeoning collection.
IMG_2970.JPG
Firemans side
IMG_2974.JPG
Smokebox
IMG_2976.JPG
Drivers side
IMG_2973.JPG
The bunker, if you needed telling!

This is my first loco from Kiss in Viernheim near Mannheim. The quality of build and painting is every bit as good as the KM1 locos already in my collection and has all the features of that range plus it comes with a loco crew. The loco modelled is a Prussian designed T18 4-6-4t. The real 78 297 was actually built for the Saarland Railway, one of the independent railways in Germany prior to 1920 and remained in service until 1972, the final shed being Aalen. The loco is modelled in its final form with push/pull equipment and Indusi - the German AWS.

I hear someone has imported a KM1 03, maybe a photo or two might appear of it at some stage.

What next?

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
That looks superb. I better get this garden railway built then.

From my point of view, knowing Roger was getting this, I decided to sell my 78 as it is identical, and acquire an original 78 with the arc roof. I really like the loco, but there would be less direct comparison if I had a different variant. It's just possible I will be able to photograph all 3 together on Wednesday, before I hand over my original one at Telford.

In the meantime, here is a comparison of the Kiss and Marklin versions.

IMG_2970a.jpg P1010560b.jpg

It strikes me that the Marklin one stands up very well apart from the hideous front buffer beam, and is a good basis for a superdetail. Mind you, I shall still play around with my arc roof variant.

Richard

Neil

Western Thunderer
The Kiss loco is magnificent but the Marklin example looks more alive. It's a brilliant illustration of what weathering can bring to the party. Now a weathered Kiss model would look stupendous.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thats exactly why when Richard decided to move the Marlkin one on I snapped his arm and shoulder off. It was the same loco I was looking to bid on when it was on ebay so when the second offer was presented it was a no brainer to snap it up. Just means I'll be unloading a load of 7mm at Telford this year ;)

For weathering check out the Becasse site linked earlier in this thread http://becasse-weathering.blogspot.co.uk/, just awsome work and a BR.23 weathered by him was up on ebay recently for about £1400 or so which is very reasonable. I am still looking for a good BR.221 or BR.218 and have quite a bee in my bonnet about these at the moment:thumbs:

Last edited:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi,

There was just one day before Telford when I had 3 BR 78s available, so I took some photos as this is unlikely to occur again.

P1010610a.jpg
P1010612a.jpg
P1010611a.jpg

In the bottom photo from nearest to furthest, Kiss, Marklin later cab (now with Mickoo) Marklin with original cab. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to the German locos now that Telford is out of the way.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It might occur again...if I'm up around your way when you have the garden railway done ;)

Mine is completely stripped down, had to break a couple of fittings to seperate the cab from the boiler but easily glued back on. The footplate plasric is incredibly strong and I can't bend it back enough so it remains flat, I think years of being bent up by the lighting board have almost set it like stone.
I'm going to try some internal metal strengthening this weekend and see how that goes. The cab interior is a bit spares as is the back head but once split apart theres ample room for some extra detailing and perhaps fitting of cab interior lights as well as motion lamps which the Germans favoured to assist in working on the loco at night.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Mick,

You'd be welcome :) . We have to start thinking about when to begin construction of the railway now.

How about kerfing the underside of the footplate, adding some metal strengthening and filling?

Let me know when you've done the bogie etches and rear frames :).

Cheers

Richard

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
It might occur again...if I'm up around your way when you have the garden railway done ;)

Mine is completely stripped down, had to break a couple of fittings to seperate the cab from the boiler but easily glued back on. The footplate plasric is incredibly strong and I can't bend it back enough so it remains flat, I think years of being bent up by the lighting board have almost set it like stone.
I'm going to try some internal metal strengthening this weekend and see how that goes. The cab interior is a bit spares as is the back head but once split apart theres ample room for some extra detailing and perhaps fitting of cab interior lights as well as motion lamps which the Germans favoured to assist in working on the loco at night.
Hi Mick, I have some copies of original drawings of the BR78

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick, I have some copies of original drawings of the BR78
:eek::eek: Really! I'd love to do a set of etches in Nickle Silver for a gauge 1 model, a BR.78 or 94......one of those big tanks would be awesome project :thumbs: Even considering a static G3 model at some point but that'll probably be a V160.

I have the facility at work now to copy drawings upto A0 size so id love a look at the BR.78 or any others anyone has. EJ has some decent ones for the 44 I think, can't remember exactly as they're in the growing to do pile to look at but EJ don't usually show frame or stay details and just look more like line profiles. Have to confess the Euro bug is biting quite deep....must finish W1 first though ;) But will get the v200.1 out at the weekend for a quick sugar rush.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,

You'd be welcome :) . We have to start thinking about when to begin construction of the railway now.

How about kerfing the underside of the footplate, adding some metal strengthening and filling?

Let me know when you've done the bogie etches and rear frames :).

Cheers

Richard
That might work really well actually theres space for a strip of 1mm strengthening plate underneath but there isnt a place for a decent fixing far enough from the bend to pull it straight without applying a stupid amount of force...bending moments and fulcrums etc but kerfing the underside will reduce the pressure required to bend it straight.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Another tank locomotive has arrived,
IMG_2994.JPG
this 2-6-2t is a Baden IVc built is two series during the period 1914 to 1921. They remained in service in West Germany until 1967 and 78 1118 is preserved in working order. The model is from Märklin and weighs in around 10kg, who needs a work out when handling these locos? Here are both tank locos waiting for the off!
IMG_2999.JPG

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Roger,

I'm looking forward to seeing all these running now!

Do you consider that the latest Marklin effort is fully the equal of the Kiss/KM1 models?

Richard

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger,

I'm looking forward to seeing all these running now!

Do you consider that the latest Marklin effort is fully the equal of the Kiss/KM1 models?

Richard
Hi Richard,

I should have mentioned my opinion of the quality and it is truly wonderful. This photo shows it on its delivery base a very robust piece of hardwood with two "Ikea" style fixing points on the underside.
IMG_2984.JPG

This is the first Marklin loco in a growing stud and the quality is every bit as good as the others. My only gripe is the box is flimsy and there was the most ugly coupling in Christendom on the rear bufferbeam, that has gone but strangely there is not a replacement screw coupling provided! I had to add the cinder screens, tail rods and leading cylinder relief valves as is usual irrespective of manufacturer. Having removed that coupling I had to detail the rear bufferbeam with the air pipes and steam heat coupling provided in the box. Everything fitted perfectly first time round and all items are robust despite looking very delicate. A loco crew is provided but they are not on the footplate, they look like they have seen ghosts or been struck by lightening!

I cannot fault the build although one door hinge had come loose, probably because the packaging from the shop left a bit to be desired. It is very heavy, in excess of 8kg! One little detail I really like is the two different styles of headlamps, the old DR type on the bufferbeams and the modern DB lamp on top, exactly like the real machines. I have run the loco and the only problem appears to be the front upper headlamp does not work. The sound is deafening and frankly is better than the Kiss 78, it certainly has more functions that the 78.

With this level of detail I feel sure further Marklin products could join the stud!

Roger