Garden wildlife

Discussion in 'Gardeners World' started by Simon, 22 June 2010.

1. Simon

Simon Flying Squad

For all us budding Bill Oddies and Kate Whatshernames?

Whatever, I can't resist sharing a shot of this "other toad" that I found in the pond today and helped out with some stone steps...

[attachment=0:1s57ko9l]AA20.jpg[/attachment:1s57ko9l]

Attached Files:

• AA20.jpg
      AA20.jpg
      File size:
      353.9 KB
      Views:
  2. David A

David A Guest

Presumably a Great Western Toad?

David A

3. lancer1027

lancer1027 Western Thunderer

I can see , it has to be a TOAD HALL class :lol:

4. Captain Kernow

Captain Kernow Western Thunderer

Looks a lot like one of my old bosses....

5. Simon

Simon Flying Squad

Spotted in the pond, obviously waiting to see a train go past :lol:

[attachment=0:20ncjd4r]Frog.jpg[/attachment:20ncjd4r]

Attached Files:

• Frog.jpg
      Frog.jpg
      File size:
      161.9 KB
      Views:
    • Frog.jpg
      Frog.jpg
      File size:
      161.9 KB
      Views:
  6. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

Maybe hes a ribbet counter ? :laugh: :laugh:

7. Phill Dyson

Phill Dyson Western Thunderer

That would explain why there are non in my garden :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ........but one was spotted in the garage the other day, so maybe my bodging is improving :eek: :laugh:

8. lancer1027

Is it a Leap Year :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

9. Jordan

Jordan Mid-Western Thunderer

Is it a Leap Year :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:[/quote:2mxumez9]
    You lot are getting worse...!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbs:

10. lancer1027

Maybe he is undercover for FOXES TRANSFERS :lol: :lol: .. OK i've gone bye :wave:

11. Hi all, I was running trains in the garden when my B17 suddenly derailed and half the of the coaches behind it.
    I rushed across to see what was wrong only to find a poor old frog lying across the live rails twitching away as though he was sat in "old Sparky". I flicked him off and he went on his way with a slightly groggy motion. Well, you'd feel groggy if you 'd been smacked in the head by 4lbs of B17 plus about 10lbs of coaches doing about 65 and then got electrocuted as well.....its a wonder he survived to tell the tale. Adds a new perspective to the term "live frogs".
    rgds
    Graham Powell

12. Hi CME, Stock not seriously damaged. I keep telling people stock for garden railways needs to be very robust! This is a case in point.
    Last time I ran it,all was going fine so I disappeared into the workshop. Suddenly, no trains. Two coaches had come uncoupled from one train which ( as the line is a tail chaser) was smacked up the back by the engine and coaches.
    They derailed into the path of an oncoming train. It was like Harrow and Wealdstone in miniature.
    In actual fact disaster like that are mercifully fairly rare though tend to be spectacular when they do happen....
    When I was running it with the kids one night we had a suicidal frog who stayed in the four foot and just jumped clear of an approaching class 33 diese. The kids thought it was great!. Vandals.
    regards
    Graham Powell

13. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

the only wild things I have in the garden are kids and me when 'er indoors wont let me play

Ian

14. Hi CME, My railway is 14 inches above ground level with the sides banked up with grass so something coming right off is not too serious.Having had a garden railway in one form or another now for over 30 years, you cannot beat robustly built stuff. I make the engines out of 15thou nickel silver with brass or steel frames. LIMA coaches or scratchbuilt ones out of card. I have to carry it in an dout all the time and I got more damage from that than the running.
    Not exactly an animal story but I did have an engine disappear one day. When I looked it was over the far side of the garden.
    All wheels going round but just not moving. It was jacked up on a small apple. Another garden railway hazard along with snail slime which is wonderful insulator!.
    rgds
    Graham Powell :thumbs:

15. nascar24

nascar24 Active Member

Couple of corny jokes for you!!,

Q. How does a frog feel when he has broken his leg
    A. Unhoppy!! :bowdown:

Or,

Q. What kind of shoes do frogs wear?
    A. Open toad sandals :lol:

Al

16. WellThatDiddntGoToWell

WellThatDiddntGoToWell Active Member

Ok I'm still going back through the forum sections and catching up. Earlier this year I found this impatient passenger finger tapping the rails. It was complaining about delays caused by a Frog on the line!

P3020125 1.jpg

Regards, Dean :drool:

iploffy, Rob Pulham and lancer1027 like this.
  17. Ian G

Ian G Western Thunderer

Thought i would gatecrash this.

Ian G

Attached Files:

18. Jordan

Jordan Mid-Western Thunderer

If that track was part of a passing loop, then in U.S. parlance you could be said to have a Toad in the Hole...... :))

sorry, coat on, out the door already....:oops:

19. lancer1027

If it was resting on a point it would be an INSULFROG:oops:

40126 and WellThatDiddntGoToWell like this.
  20. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

Near Ribbet head viaduct