4mm Foamboard in a box

Pragmatic decisions
  • Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
    Hi,

Two important related events, MR April '19 just dropped through the letter box and I have spent the last hour marvelling at Rob's effort. Just spotted the use of code 75 streamline, a practice that I vowed to avoid but many years ago I was equally impressed by Ralph Burrow's Wanhurst in MRJ 174 published in early 2007 which used a combination of streamline turnouts and RTP plain BH track.

MRJ174.jpg

A pragmatic choice would be to use Ralph's idea and to recycle my stock of Peco solenoid turnout actuators with added microswitches thus solving the problem of failing manual dexterity (Parkinsons) and lack of depth under the baseboards.

Finally, a trip to B&Q is planned

The proof of the pudding is in the eating
  • Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
    As with many questions there are a variety of answers, hardly any based on fact or experience therefore to test the pudding.........

The first board used Hobbycraft 5mm foamboard size A1, on offer at four sheets for £10. Assembled with a Bosch hot glue gun and following Harcourt’s principles, the 44”x13” board proved to be both light and just as resistant to torsional twist as a MDF board built as a benchmark.
    The second board was built from Hobbycraft West Design black foamboard size A1 cost £7.70 per board. Exactly the same methods and the result was very rigid, a thoroughly good engineering material.
    The next board will be built with the West Design material though I doubt whether the cheaper board will fail as long it is built correctly and there lies the rub.

Oddly enough, the pair of test modules were supported on a pair of lightweight ironing boards from John Lewis, perfect height, consistent performance and ideal for easy transporting as they just fold away.

Sorry not to have failed but the foamboard layout seems a viable contender, just as long as the builder has the skill to construct a simple device.

Stay Safe