Evening All

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Evening Gents

Thought I should raise my head above the parapit and come and say hello :)
I know a couple of you face to face, but mostly I recognise some of the (mighty fine) models and usernames from various places around the web.
Me, well I'm into Gauge 1 models in a big way, and its all the fault of that book seller chap Simon. He also has to take responsibility for me being here and getting me started on a line in the garden..now you know who to blame :laugh:

I'll start a thread on my garden line a bit later (weather is too nice to be inside right now), but as a reasonably accurate taster of progress so far

[attachment=0:58y8e0pe]Freight Train.JPG[/attachment:58y8e0pe]

All the best
Steve

Attachments

• Freight Train.JPG
    Freight Train.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Freight Train.JPG
    Freight Train.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 69

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Welcome aboard, Steve! :wave:

... at this rate the Gauge 1-ers will outnumber the O scalers here...!! :p :oops:

28ten

Guv'nor
Hello Steve :thumbs:
it that one of the Bachmann brass panniers? Is my memory playing tricks or did you have a small US line in the office?

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve :wave: ,
Welcome to the forum & I will be looking forward to seeing more of your railway :thumbs:
Cheers Phill :D

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :D

28ten said:
Is that one of the Bachmann brass panniers?
Well spotted guv :thumbs: Its a new arrival, all I've done so far is remove the RC gear to convert it back to two rail electric so I can test / have a play. I've ordered a DCC chip for it and hope to add the RC gear back in as well, giving me a variety of options for going 'on tour'. Bit more appropriate for my line than the 03 which has now passed in to the safe hands of Simon.

Is my memory playing tricks or did you have a small US line in the office?
You've got a good memory :) I still have my dark side layout running around the back room, although I'm slowly photographing it as a record before it goes to the great layout scrapyard in the sky :shock: Its a shame, but I need a larger work area for my Gauge 1 stuff, and I have an S scale layout to house for the winter modelling / small scale interests.

Steve

28ten

Guv'nor
Steve Cook said:
You've got a good memory :) I still have my dark side layout running around the back room, although I'm slowly photographing it as a record before it goes to the great layout scrapyard in the sky :shock:

Steve
You had better post some pictures for Jordan..... Out of interest how big is it? my eldest will soon be getting to the stage where he wants something.....

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
28ten said:
You had better post some pictures for Jordan..... Out of interest how big is it? my eldest will soon be getting to the stage where he wants something.....
I'll pop a quick one up here, then try and sort something out in Area 51 :lol:

[attachment=0:2i2nbzeb]End of an era.JPG[/attachment:2i2nbzeb]

Its roughly 6'6" square, although the front does taper down. Getting it out in a usable state will be a mission and a half, but not insurmountable....

Steve

Attachments

• End of an era.JPG
    End of an era.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 44
  • End of an era.JPG
    End of an era.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 45

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Blimey I remember that one!!! I followed it with interest back on RMwhatsitsname.... it's something quite different to the usual Dark Side sort of layout, especially for running big modern locos and long rolling stock... :thumbs:
Had you not thought of selling it, or does it need demolishing to get out of the room? I can't remember?

What's the S scale, then? Dark Side too, or totally scratchbuilt UK outline..?

Finally, do tell more about the R/C gear you took out of that Pannier Tank!! Elsewhere here we've only recently been discussing alternatives to DCC such as Infra Red, and R/C (or the lack of it) came up. I for one would be extremely tempted to go Garden Side if I didn't have to run elektrickery through the tracks.... :scratch:

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Jordan said:
Blimey I remember that one!!! I followed it with interest back on RMwhatsitsname.... it's something quite different to the usual Dark Side sort of layout, especially for running big modern locos and long rolling stock... :thumbs:
Had you not thought of selling it, or does it need demolishing to get out of the room? I can't remember?
Cheers Jordan, I can't remember how far I had got with the build on version 2.3.2.1 or whatever it was! The easiest way to get it out is using a jigsaw :lol: I had intended it to be split into separate boards, but when it came to track laying and scenery, I choose the easier route and bailed out of doing separate board joints. The scenery fascia is unsupported where it curves between boards, so I have no idea what shape it will attempt to take when cut. Its not impossible, but it would be a b!gger to split and then reassemble (and need a van to collect the large three pieces!)
What's the S scale, then? Dark Side too, or totally scratchbuilt UK outline..?
Small terminus to fiddle yard, Isle of WIght, mainly kits (unstarted and partially finished) hoovered up over the last 18 months or so. Nothing too exciting or large (common theme for me :D ), but mainly to give me something to try out ideas for presentation and lighting.
Finally, do tell more about the R/C gear you took out of that Pannier Tank!! Elsewhere here we've only recently been discussing alternatives to DCC such as Infra Red, and R/C (or the lack of it) came up. I for one would be extremely tempted to go Garden Side if I didn't have to run elektrickery through the tracks.... :scratch:
Will do :) Have to give me a bit of time, the loco came with a speed controller and batteries, but no receiver. I want to move the batteries into the boiler, freeing up the rear bunker for the DCC chip. The debate then, is whether to go for an aircraft style transmitter, or try out one of Cliff Barkers key fob style remotes. Both have pro's and cons, perhaps I should post a bit on the relevant thread :scratch:

Steve

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Steve Cook said:
Will do :) Have to give me a bit of time, the loco came with a speed controller and batteries, but no receiver. I want to move the batteries into the boiler, freeing up the rear bunker for the DCC chip. The debate then, is whether to go for an aircraft style transmitter, or try out one of Cliff Barkers key fob style remotes. Both have pro's and cons, perhaps I should post a bit on the relevant thread :scratch:

Steve
I would be most interested in that topic too Steve :D .......perhaps here would be a good place : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=185 :thumbs:
Phill :wave: