EAMES kits

DavidB

Western Thunderer
This is a long-shot, but does anyone have a list or catalogue of the 4mm kits EAMES made? I am particularly interested in their road vehicles, some of which I think were acquired from elsewhere (like the Alan Brackenborough Maudslay bus) and re-packaged.

Incidentally, for anyone interested, some of those kits are still available, listed on KW Trams website together with some Anbrico and ABS.

Barry37

Western Thunderer
This is an EAMES advert in the May 1981 Model Railway Constructor. I don't know if that's all the kits they (ever)did.
I remember putting one of their lorry kits together, but I don't recognise it in this list.

IMG_1657.jpg

DavidB

Western Thunderer
That's very helpful, Barry (and Hayfield, just seen). Thank you.

I bought two white metal charabancs (complete but in bits) off Ebay at the weekend which were described as Eames. I have no problem with this as it would not be an unreasonable assumption. On getting them I notice the radiators have 'Midland' across the top where other makers (Leyland, Thornycroft, Albion) put their name, so I wanted to check if they were on the Eames list. Having seen Barry's list, I wonder if they might be from W&T (Scalelink) who produce a range of Midland bus kits. The charabancs are not unlike the 1925 bus.

Does anyone out there have a white metal charabanc, made or in kit form?

DavidB

Western Thunderer
My thanks to people who have responded both on and off-Forum.

It looks as though the charabancs in question may well have been made by Pirate Models. What happened to them? It is a name I have heard but never knowingly seen any of their kits.

One of the charabancs I bought is below. The lorry chassis is a Leyland daring from around 1917 but with a slightly later windscreen
s-l1600.jpg

Barry37

Western Thunderer
That's very helpful, Barry (and Hayfield, just seen). Thank you.

I bought two white metal charabancs (complete but in bits) off Ebay at the weekend which were described as Eames. I have no problem with this as it would not be an unreasonable assumption. On getting them I notice the radiators have 'Midland' across the top where other makers (Leyland, Thornycroft, Albion) put their name, so I wanted to check if they were on the Eames list. Having seen Barry's list, I wonder if they might be from W&T (Scalelink) who produce a range of Midland bus kits. The charabancs are not unlike the 1925 bus.

Does anyone out there have a white metal charabanc, made or in kit form?

Barry37

Western Thunderer
Interesting to see the W & T page, as it identifies a whitemetal bus kit that I have. Seems to be kit WTP02 or WTP09 - I've had it for over 20 years, and no idea why or where it was acquired.

DavidB

Western Thunderer
The history of kit manufacturers is quite fascinating - where things began, who sold what to wherever, who acquired this range and so on. Adrian Swain was a prolific acquirer of ranges, some of which never saw the light of day until he died and now other people have got them, some coming back on the market. I remember a few years ago listening to Iain Rice over afternoon tea talking about the journeys various kit ranges had taken. He was a mine of information.

Barry37

Western Thunderer
The history of kit manufacturers is quite fascinating - where things began, who sold what to wherever, who acquired this range and so on. Adrian Swain was a prolific acquirer of ranges, some of which never saw the light of day until he died and now other people have got them, some coming back on the market. I remember a few years ago listening to Iain Rice over afternoon tea talking about the journeys various kit ranges had taken. He was a mine of information.
One, possibly more, of the ranges Adrian acquired, was a case of "they owed me so much (for casting), they gave me the company".

AJC

Western Thunderer
One, possibly more, of the ranges Adrian acquired, was a case of "they owed me so much (for casting), they gave me the company".

I heard Adrian say that, too - I can't recall which (and it's probably politic not to), but he did cast for a lot of people, over the years, that's true.

Adam