7mm Dikitriki's Dark side: A WD 2-8-0

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
For those of you to whom outside valve gear is something to be avoided - surely the only reason to model the GWR - then I hope to demystify what is actually a straightforward and logical process.

I say, that's a bit below the belt, but it certainly saves a lot of grief with just the coupling rods and con rods to worry about. :))

Having said that, I do like to see outside valve gear doing its stuff and will find an excuse to build a couple of locos with it - the MOK Flying Pig could well be the first! :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

mickoo

Western Thunderer
From here, I cleaned up the bottom part of the combination lever, and the oiler; though that is not without risk as I can imagine it pinging off into the distance never to be recovered, and soldered the oiler to the face.

I removed the excess solder (scraper and fibreglass brush) and 'tis done. Now I shall clean the rest of the link up and look at the valve crosshead.

Richard

Yup, I think that will pass muster LOL
IMG_3775c.JPG

IMG_3777c.JPG

Pity your subject matter isn't a rebuilt Patriot, but I'll take a parallel one as a good second best, will be interesting to see this develop.

Kindest

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I say, that's a bit below the belt, but it certainly saves a lot of grief with just the coupling rods and con rods to worry about. :))

Having said that, I do like to see outside valve gear doing its stuff and will find an excuse to build a couple of locos with it - the MOK Flying Pig could well be the first! :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Sorry for the tangent, haven't seen this advertised yet? (MOK flying Pig)

Kindest

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Yup, I think that will pass muster LOL

Pity your subject matter isn't a rebuilt Patriot, but I'll take a parallel one as a good second best, will be interesting to see this develop.

Kindest

Mick,

Have you got any more detail shots of the Scot like those two?

Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick - It should hopefully out in December 2012. :thumbs:

http://www.modernoutline.co.uk/modern_outline_004.htm

Regards

Dan
Super, knowing MOKs attention to detail and scale, means I will no longer need to go to NRM and pay a fortune for drawings LOL, scaling off their 7mm should be sufficient for my needs in the larger scale. Too many projects geting near to the 'doing' pile now LOL. Like the look of a possible Brit to MOK standards.

Thanks for the tip, back OT now :).

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Have you got any more detail shots of the Scot like those two?

Steph
Steph, yes and no, more detail shots but not Scots, they're all from Jubilee 'Bahamas' at NRM last month, many common parts if your doing a rebuilt Scot version, but your welcome to the lot if you think any of them will help, as is anyone here for that matter. Interesting, when poking under 'Bahamas' she's only a two legged donkey at the moment.

Surprised to see Richard note original Partiots had the same gear as Jubilees, one being Stanier and the other Fowler, I think Stanier produced his own style of gear, though much was probably taken from earlier designs and to all intent and purposes looks the same, but suspect there were subtle differences etc.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Steph, yes and no, more detail shots but not Scots, they're all from Jubilee 'Bahamas' at NRM last month, many common parts if your doing a rebuilt Scot version, but your welcome to the lot if you think any of them will help, as is anyone here for that matter. Interesting, when poking under 'Bahamas' she's only a two legged donkey at the moment.

Surprised to see Richard note original Partiots had the same gear as Jubilees, one being Stanier and the other Fowler, I think Stanier produced his own style of gear, though much was probably taken from earlier designs and to all intent and purposes looks the same, but suspect there were subtle differences etc.

Mick,

Yes, I would be interested in the pics, I can happily interpret their re-use on to a Royal Scot. I'm struggling enough with LMS practise, so any help would be welcome!

Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I would love some Jube detail shots, please, it's on my "to do" list.

Could I send you a blank CD and return postage?

No need for a CD, there's only just over 100, I'll set up a FTP link shortly, if you have internet then just click the link and let it down load, sometimes I just love technology LOL.

Steph, no probs, back in 5

I presume both you guys use Winzip?.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad

Mick

Thanks for making the photos available - they are fantastic. I think my Jube just moved up the list:)

My comments about the similarities in the valve gear were specifically with respect to the combination lever, union link and drop link. Once you get to the valve guides they are very different.

Thanks Mick, all received.

Sorry for taking over the thread Richard.

Steph

I can't think of a better takeover, as a LMSophile. :thumbs:

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick

Thanks for making the photos available - they are fantastic. I think my Jube just moved up the list:)

My comments about the similarities in the valve gear were specifically with respect to the combination lever, union link and drop link. Once you get to the valve guides they are very different.

I can't think of a better takeover, as a LMSophile. :thumbs:

Richard

Richard, your more than welcome, I did offer these up and other NRM images last month to anyone who wanted them, I think many people probably missed that offer, but drop box allows full public access to all, rather than jamming up my FTP.

Noted on valve gear, makes sense, some common parts but the rest as individual as the CME :).

Some are a little blurred, overall I'm not happy with the quality and if I get a chance again in the near future, and she is in a location you can photo then I'll go back and do the blurred ones again, need to ramp up the ASA a little more, not a spring chicken any more so hand holding at 1/25 isn't as good as it used to be LOL. But the aim was to get some half decent images of LMS style axle boxes and guides with springs, not all that I required but enough to use the LMS journal books as references for modelling, can't wait for their copies of the Jubilees and rebuilt Patriots to be published.

I'm waiting for Winston to get of that darn turn table so I can crawl all over her and Mallard to get out of the paint shop as well, chances Bahamas will then go somewhere almost totally inaccessible :(, I'm all for moving stock around but they seem to do it almost bi weekly which is a bind with a 400 mile round trip to keep up!.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Interesting that the LMS thought necessary to mark the identity of the engine on the cylinder block, must have been so that they could find the correct engine when a platelayer reported a casting in the cess... :rolleyes: .

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

A bit more progress. There's actually a lot behind the scenes as I am building one side of the valve gear to test it out before writing about and photographing the second side.

A few bits and pieces are shown here.

P1010634.JPG

Bit of a loud new cutting mat!

Top, I did decide to scratch build new eccentric rods. I need them a little thinner, with a much smaller little end than those provided in the kit, and any filed down originals would lack strength. Using the existing centres, I soldered a kit rod to a blank and cut that out, and then soldered the new rod to another blank which is where I am at now. I shall reprofile them together.

Centre Left is the 2 halves of a donor expansion link. I have just cut off the outside bearings as I wished to make them removable, but they will need shortening, holes drilled etc.

Centre right ( and just to whet Graham's appetite:) ) is a completed return crank which just needs a little tidying up.

Bottom is the donor valve crosshead.

I also got a nice letter from the postie....

P1010618.JPG

Severn Mill Nameplates.

Richard