1/32 Difference between 10mm and 1/32

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi folks
This is really a simple plea from one who may appear a little ignorant on such matters and I hope I do not offend the purists.
I would like to know how different a model wagon say a simple van in 1/32 to a 10mm model. I presume if my calculations are correct the former is about 95% smaller but in reality what does this look like? Perhaps someone may post a photo or guide me to a resource that shows this.
Being able to combine the scales would open up a greater selection of wagons for a simple shunting plank.
Just in case you may not know I have a Brass works 03 in 1/32 scale so that is my starting point.
Thank you in anticipation
Julian

Western Thunderer
You are right in your basic maths. 1:32 is about 5% smaller than 10 mm.

45 mm is almost exactly 1/32 of 4’ 8 1/2”. 45 mm is 4’ 6” in 10 mm scale. So there is no doubt which is the correct scale for the gauge.

Does the difference between the two scales show? Yes it does. Two models of the same prototype, one in each scale, next to each other, will be obviously different sizes. For models of, say, different wooden-bodied mineral wagons, some in one scale, some in the other, the scale discrepancy will be far less obvious. Personally, I still think the mismatch between scale and gauge in 10 mm models shows and detracts.

Does the difference matter? That’s entirely a decision for the individual modeller. Any meeting of Gauge 1 enthusiasts is likely to show that many (most, I think) have accepted mixing the two scales is acceptable or a practical necessity. For a variety of reasons, the vast majority of British outline, r-t-r, Gauge 1 locomotives on the market are 1:32. These are models made mostly in China which have to sell internationally to be commercially viable. By contrast, most British outline rolling stock on offer is made by smaller UK-based businesses and is 10 mm scale. I guess there are a lot of Gauge 1 modellers who would rather not mix scales but have decided there is no practical alternative.

There are of course some r-t-r 1:32 coaches and wagons offered by the trade, but not many. Perhaps someone will see a business opportunity in making some nice r-t-r 1:32 scale goods rolling stock to address the issue …

Western Thunderer
I think the main difference between the two scales is that the 10 mm seems to be popular with the live steam garden running and the 1/32nd scale more about creating a scenic layout either indoors or outdoors. Just an observation from the sidelines.
Michael
Aster, Accucraft and, latterly, Bowande between them manufacture a large majority of the new live-steam Gauge 1 locomotives sold in Britain annually. Aster has been responsible for manufacturing probably more Gauge 1 live steam models over the last forty years than everybody else put together. All the above three companies generally use 1:32 scale for their models. It’s only much smaller companies, manufacturing relatively few models, in the UK, that continue to use 10 mm scale for new construction. Of course, there are plenty of live-steam locomotives still in use built more than 50 years ago (so 10 mm scale), and there are scratch builders working in both scales. But most live steam models are now 1:32. Whereas much of what these locomotives are pulling is 10 mm scale — or Accucraft Mk1s.

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Julian, When we compare two solid objects, what we perceive is the difference in volume, which in this case is 14%, or roughly a seventh. That's a lot!
Only a few years ago, I took a 1:32 goods train to the AGM of one of the largest G1 Area Groups. To my surprise, many people looked at it in stunned silence, and I was invited politely to run this novelty at their next public exhibition.

There are some tricks for avoiding the 'not a good look' problem, of which the most obvious is to keeps trains separate. For example a 10mm passenger train, a 1:32 British goods train (and perhaps, for good measure, a North American 1:29 train.) But while that's OK when taking a single train to a communal running-session, it's not a solution for building an integrated Model Railway.

Here's what the G1MRA Website has to say:

and here's the G1MRA 1:32 Finescale Group's website:
1:32F

You are far from alone in suggesting "a business opportunity in making some nice r-t-r 1:32 scale goods rolling stock to address the issue …"

There's an article in the latest G1MRA Journal titled "we need to talk about scale", and suggesting some pump-priming to foster more 1:32 British wagons.
Practical and financial issues to overcome, but aren't there always?

Finally, track down the 1:32 resources already out there, such as Fred Phipps's amazing kits,

FredPhippsVan.JPGIMGP0005.JPG

and the amazing 3D print-files being shared - free - on the Gauge One 3D Circle forum:

My wagon in daylight.jpg

Also, Marc Dobson of this parish will tell you about his many 1:32 wagon kits.

David

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Gentlemen thank you for this, I think I will look further at what is available.
It seems that most scales have discrepancies or compromises.
Cheers
Julian

................There's an article in the latest G1MRA Journal titled "we need to talk about scale", and suggesting some pump-priming to foster more 1:32 British wagons.
Practical and financial issues to overcome, but aren't there always? ..............
Martin also raises a very valid question about the future viability of having two different scales in gauge one when he says in that article ....

(quote)
........But splitting production of British prototype models between 10mm scale and the internationally accepted 1:32 severely limits what is offered in either scale. ........ The limited range available reduces the number of modellers choosing Gauge 1, so reducing the range available, and so on. ......
(unquote)

.... and I agree with him when he goes on to say that the G1MRA should take a strategic view of what promotes the future health of Gauge 1 as a viable choice for Brtish modellers by endorsing the production of more RTR 1:32 models.

JimG

Western Thunderer
I was a member of the G1MRA in the 70s/80s and I do remember that Ella Roberts had to take quick action to stop any mention of 1:32 scale in the Newsletter since it was liable to develop into a heated discussion. I had been hoping to model in 1:32 scale but I found it best not to mention it at any getogethers I attended in the 80s. :) Another member I knew in the 80s, who was a collector, reckoned that the anti-1:32 attitude was to protect the interests of the collectors. The arrival of the Aster locomotives to 1:32 scale at that time was probably a bit of an embarrassment, especially since John van Riemsdijk, one of the notable members of the Association, was fully involved in their development.

Jim.

Ah yes - the great JvR - one time Curator of Mechanical Engineering at the Science Museum in London and one of the few people to get four cylinder compounding to work successfully in a 1:32 scale locomotive with his Aster 232-U1.

Western Thunderer
Gentlemen thank you for this, I think I will look further at what is available.
It seems that most scales have discrepancies or compromises.
Cheers
Julian
You might not think of looking at what is being offered by the firm Tenmille. But, despite the name, the Tenmille range now includes 1:32 rolling stock kits.

isambardme

Western Thunderer
You might not think of looking at what is being offered by the firm Tenmille. But, despite the name, the Tenmille range now includes 1:32 rolling stock kits.
Yes, Tenmille have been going a long time, most of their products were 10mm, that was the main market for those who built kits. Good to see them now producing 1/32nd kits as well. Having watched & run at various G1 locations, I must say that most folks are happy to run a mixture of 10 mm & 1/32nd wagons in a freight train. However a 10mm loco does not look good with 32mm coaches (often Accucraft /G1MCo BR mk1 s ). Similarly a 1/32nd loco looks a real misfit with 10mm coaches. At the end of the day serious purists will only run trains that look perfect together. Meanwhile most folks will happily run a range of locos & stock. Sometimes compromises are made by some people to put together something fairly quickly that can be run, but that is always a personal matter.
As they say, you pays your money & takes your choice.

Steve

Last edited:

isambardme

Western Thunderer
I think the main difference between the two scales is that the 10 mm seems to be popular with the live steam garden running and the 1/32nd scale more about creating a scenic layout either indoors or outdoors. Just an observation from the sidelines.
Michael
I run live steam in both 10mm & 1/32nd. Also 16mm live steam set to run on G1 track. There isn't a loco or stock in any of those scales that doesn't bring me pleasure. From talking to folks running G1 live steam at shows I know I'm not the only one.

Steve

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Totally agree, I am the same, When i run mine, locos and stock both mixed, just brings a smile to my face watching and listening to the trains, Do not even notice difference.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
These are interesting comments folks, as I have said I am trying to see what could go with my 03 without looking "wrong". Am I right in thinking that the earlier 10mm stock may be cheaper to acquire 2nd hand now that folk are moving over to 1/32? It is mainly freight stock that I would want as at present I could not stretch to any coaches in this scale.
Thanks
Julian

Western Thunderer
These are interesting comments folks, as I have said I am trying to see what could go with my 03 without looking "wrong". Am I right in thinking that the earlier 10mm stock may be cheaper to acquire 2nd hand now that folk are moving over to 1/32? It is mainly freight stock that I would want as at present I could not stretch to any coaches in this scale.
Thanks
Julian
Very difficult to generalise, as it will depend on the quality and condition of the individual item and how it is being sold. I don’t think 10 mm scale wagons can expected to be cheaper because they are 10 mm scale, for example second hand Accucraft (1:32) and Northern Finescale (10 mm) wagons in good condition seem to sell for similar amounts.

paulc

Western Thunderer
As i seem to have found a gauge one thread and I'm building a 2-4-2 LNWR tank kit at the moment can anyone tell me if STM is / was the kit manufacturer ?
I normally model O gauge but fell over this kit years ago , big aint it .

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Not being a G1 modeler but interested.
Back in history would G1 have been 3/8" to the foot on 1&3/4 gauge track? I have a recollection that G3 was 1/2" on 2&1/2 gauge and G0 was 1/4" on 1&1/4 gauge.
As an aside there were some superb G1 running at the Kidderminster Station SVR today (Saturday 29 July) and I understand again tomorrow.

Regards
Allen Morgan