DCC and navel gazing

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,

Twenty-odd years ago, I bought my first DCC set, Lenz Compact, such was its poor performance that I spoke to Herr Lenz (nice guy) at a trade show in Germany and he suggested that a far better start set was the then to be released Roco MultiMaus.

I took his advice, it proved to be glitch-free, easy to use but last week, I sought to upgrade the current MultiMaus for ‘something better’ which had to be another handheld device. Long story short, I couldn’t source a replacement as there is a shortage of DCC sets thanks to a production difficulties* of chipsets. My name and details were noted to be notified when anything suitable came into stock but I was informed that prices are rising well beyond the rate of inflation.

The next step was the big eBay where I found a charity shop selling a new Fleischmann MultiMaus (they are the same as Roco) it came with all the accessories, not really an upgrade but the old Multimaus really needs a back-up.

*The bottom line is simple, I am out of touch with the odd situation of shortages.

Tim

Last edited:

AaronReed

Hi,

Twenty-odd years ago, I bought my first DCC set, Lenz Compact, such was its poor performance that I spoke to Herr Lenz (nice guy) at a trade show in Germany and he suggested that a far better start set was the then to be released Roco MultiMaus.

I took his advice, it proved to be glitch-free, easy to use but last week, I sought to upgrade the current MultiMaus for ‘something better’ which had to be another handheld device. Long story short, I couldn’t source a replacement as there is a shortage of DCC sets thanks to a production difficulties* of chipsets. My name and details were noted to be notified when anything suitable came into stock but I was informed that prices are rising well beyond the rate of inflation.

The next step was the big eBay, no real choice within the UK but I found a charity shop selling a new Fleischmann MultiMaus (they are the same as Roco) The eventual cost was a tad under double what I expected but it came with all the accessories and the money goes to charity, not really an upgrade but the old Multimaus really needs a back-up.

*The bottom line is simple, I am out of touch but not with technology but with the odd situation of shortages.
Or you can refer to the right application for welding at Getmodnow website with safety and free so you can rest assured

Tim
Thank you for sharing the interesting story about model railway. I also have a Fleischmann MultiMaus