4mm Dave's SR Loco Workbench - Adams A12 Jubilee

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
Well that's the S15 pretty much finished at last. There's always more that could be done, injector pipework under the cab for instance, and a bit more cab interior; plus its still awaiting its smokebox number-plate. I'm sure I'll get these done, but for now here's the photos.

Definitely not a Silk Purse, but not a Sow's Ear either. A good working "layout loco" that will look quite at home pulling a mainline goods or semi-fast passenger. When all is said and done I'm pretty pleased with it, considering the starting point. It was never going to be fully accurate, but if I wanted to get to there, I wouldn't have started from here!

P1050493small_zps92534be1.jpg

P1050495small_zps95b0fc19.jpg

P1050496small_zps0c20e08e.jpg

P1050498small_zps5838b55e.jpg

P1050500small_zps515b4497.jpg

P1050501small_zps228cfb09.jpg

P1050503small_zpsa7bb8b3d.jpg

P1050504small_zps77d9f080.jpg

P1050506small_zpsd3cb6b05.jpg

P1050507small_zpsde5ca978.jpg

Sorry there's so many photos, but I couldn't decide which ones to leave out!

Cheers, Dave.

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
The U-Class and S15 have finally been delivered to their new Home Shed. I was actually quite sorry to see the U go, I think its one of my best efforts to date and I would like to have kept it.

I have a couple of further SR loco projects up my sleeve, one is resurrecting and old part built Nu-Cast Adams A12 "Jubilee" kit, that came from a late friend's collection. Its a body only (the kit chassis is very basic) so it will probably be Gibson wheels and coupling rods, (and I think he does a frame as well) and most likely my usual Mashima/Highlevel drive.

All helped on by my recent book purchase "The Adams Classes" in the Bradley/Wild Swan LSWR loco series; the volume that has eluded me for several years.

Cheers, Dave.

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
A first look at the Jubilee kit shows what are actually some very nice castings, rather poorly put together. As far as I can see, when comparing to existing drawings, it looks pretty accurate. I think Nu-Cast kits were considered pretty good in their day, and look to have stood the test of time.

IMG_3910small_zps40fc45d6.jpg

The chassis however is very basic by todays standards, and this is all I've got of it. Whatever else was included has disappeared.

IMG_3911small_zpsd41b9910.jpg

Here's a first; what I thought were large blobs and smears of Araldite holding everything together turned out to be Evo-Stick Impact Glue! First time I've ever come accross a whitemetal kit put together that way. The advantage of course is that it only took a couple of brushfulls of White Spirit around the joins and it all pulled apart after a couple of minutes.

IMG_3912small_zps14f2b218.jpg

Thats all for now,
Dave.

Graham Muz

Hi Dave

Nice job on the S15, although you didn't undertake to correct all the known dimensional errors i still think the results look good and certainly still captures the character of the original.

I shall be interested in the A12 renovation, mine is below and uses the chassis supplied with kit a small Mashima with a Comet gearbox and small flywheel, driving off , from memory, the front axle (but would need to check) the haulage capacity is not great so if your motor gearbox arrange achieves better results I might well follow suit.

A12 654_2.jpg

For my modelling period she should really be in unlined black but hadn't the heart to do it...

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham,

Thanks for that, a very nice looking job, please don't spend too much time investigating.
I think the general flexibility of a Highlevel SlimlinerPlus should help in squeezing things in, you can hide a lot behind those enormous splashers.

Cheers, Dave.

queensquare

Western Thunderer
The S15 looks great Dave.
I do like the Jubilee Muz, lovely paint job. I think these are a really attractive prototype, I keep trying to convince John Greenwood he should build one for Wadebridge.

Jerry

Graham Muz

Thanks Jerry

I had a hard enough time building it to 4mm I raise my hat to the work of the 2mm finescale community for the height of the bar you guys and girls set. To be fair to John I am not sure how far south west the A12's got. Certainly by my modelling era Salisbury was the furthest west.
nevard_081024_fisherton_DSC_2712zm_web.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
Graham

It is a beautiful looking model, I'd be more than pleased if I had built that.

A great picture of it out on the line above too, a very satisfyingly "unmodel railway looking" picture:thumbs:

Simon

Graham Muz

Thanks Simon

I can't lay claim to the picture as it's by the talented Mr Nervard.

PS apologies to Dave for hijacking his thread

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
Using the Highlevel Gearbox Planner, theres plenty of room for a 1420 Mashima in the firebox, attached to a RoadrunnerPlus or SlimlinerPlus on the rear driving axle, with the swinging arm folding back underneath. You might even squeeze a 1424 in.
This leaves the front part of the boiler free, allowing the missing bottom to be filled in and the whole thing packed with lead.
Cheers, Dave.

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
Having spent quite a time cleaning glue off this kit (after soaking it in white spirit) I can upgrade my opinion of the castings from "very nice" to "excellent". The whole thing is very well thought out and executed, and the castings fit together beautifully; some even locking together positively.
Cheers, Dave.

Reactions: AJC

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
After rather too long a gap, the Jubilee build is up and running again!
Having found various drawings of this loco, none of them showed exactly what I wanted, which was the frame dimensions.
In the end I took a practical approach. I scanned the General Arrangement drawing and printed it as large as I could. The I drew around the outline of the mainframes with red ink, re-scanned the new drawing and printed it out at scale size. To actually make the frames I soldered two bits of nickel silver together, and stuck the appropriate part of the drawing to them. Then it was a matter of cutting, drilling and filing out the frames according to the red outline on the drawing.

IMG_2991small_zps297ede78.jpg

IMG_3007small_zpsff55f9d1.jpg

IMG_3012small_zps1c63f15c.jpg

Hope all that's clear, this method isn't entirely accurate, but its pretty good, especially when you've got a complicated set up like these Adams underhung springs and equalising beams. As much of it is behind the wheels, the lack of complete accuracy isn't too great an issue.
The axle holes were marked out on the frames properly, rather than relying on the drawing. The GA came from LSWR Locomotives - The Adams Classes, D.L.Bradley, Wild Swan.

Cheers, Dave.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Nice work Dave. I've only had to do this once (for a 4mm scale Austerity saddletank, a nice simple prototype from that perspective) and it was extremely satisfying. Are you going to go to the trouble of adding any overlays to represent any specific details or are you going to allow the wheels going around to hide it? I always manage to persuade myself into adding the detail but I'm never really sure I'm doing it for anyone other than myself. How about the brake hangers?

Adam

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
Hi Adam,

It will need the brake hangers as they are fairly prominent, as are the pivot and mounting bolts on the equalising beam.
I probably won't add much detailing the springs as they are behind the wheels, and the basic outline should be sufficient. I don't usually worry about adding detail that can't be seen.

Cheers, Dave.

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
Main bodywork is under way with the main components soldered together. Although the castings fit together very well, care has to be taken to get everything positioned correctly. The footplate at the front end was thicker one side than the other so had to be very carefully filed after assembly to get a flat and level footplate in front of the smokebox.

IMG_4561small_zpsf46b080f.jpg

IMG_4567small_zpsc78b4e31.jpg

Chassis has been soldered together in the usual manner, screwed together with turned brass spacers, and then "L" shaped spacers soldered in place. Lengths of silver-steel rod were threaded through the axle holes to ensure everything was square prior to soldering.

IMG_3176small_zpsc6f40893.jpg

IMG_3179small_zpsbebc3e2d.jpg

IMG_3180small_zps3aa15642.jpg

Thats all for now,
Cheers, Dave.

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
I know I haven't updated this thread for about a month; I have been making progress but without a lot to show for it.
Boiler have been sorted out, it was slightly egg-shaped due to one half being slightly thicker than the other. I got a bit over enthusiastic filing the smokebox, but as I intended to give it a new wrapper this didnt matter too much.
Also added a new front bufferbeam (missing from the kit) and the cab is all soldered up.

IMG_3272small_zpsf7e35150.jpg

IMG_3276small_zps8c5f0426.jpg

As I'm using Gibson wheels for this one, I need to get the chassis finished before I finally fit them. Its had a few cosmetic overlays, but I need to sort out pickups and brakegear next.

IMG_3280small_zps6d2c7fb8.jpg
Cheers, Dave.

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
Quick update; things are progressing, but nothing more to photograph as yet. Brakegear is part-built, using parts from the Mainlytrains etch, but wont be fully assembled until later.
I've decided to fit Backscratcher pickups. Due to William Adams' preference for underhung springs and equalising beams on his locos, there is precious little room for the conventional pickup plate and rear wipers. Again this wont be fully fitted yet.
As I've gone for Gibson wheels instead of Romford/Markits, I dont want to have to take them off once fitted, so its a "fit once" situation. This means the chassis has to be finished/blackened/painted first.
Cheers, Dave.