Dave's Industrial Steam (and diesel) Gallery

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave
Thank you. I've heard that the running of some Hattons locos is not too good. Did you need to do extra work to get good slow running?
Thank you
Mark

Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave
Thank you. I've heard that the running of some Hattons locos is not too good. Did you need to do extra work to get good slow running?
Thank you
Mark
Hi Mark,

They seem to run just fine out of the box and the work I do to them isn't to get any better slow running. I replace the motors for no other reason than to save space for the fitting of a sound decoder, a Stay Alive and a speaker of reasonable dimensions.

The Hattons motor takes up all of the available height and width within the tank but using a small coreless motor saves a lot of space.
1664557113052.png

Dave

Western Thunderer
I had a friend over to play with one of the train sets, today and also took a few pictures.

The Calder Vale Mineral Railway.
Osiris2.jpg
Peckett W4 Osiris on coal empties.

DSCF9534.JPG
Manning Wardle 16-inch Special Horus at the water tank.

DSCF9542.JPG
Peckett C Class Nephthys with the re-railing wagon.

DSCF9530.JPG
A visiting Kerr, Stuart 'Victory' class engine running alongside the cut with a coal train.

Dave

Western Thunderer
The CVMR has a new addition to the roster, a Kerr, Stuart "Victory" class tank of its own. This thing is superpower, overkill, but I just had to have one. It's the Planet Industrials RTR model but I gave it a bit of a make-over by mixing a dark red varnish and spraying it on the bodywork in order to darken the red shade and give it more depth. The wheels were black but I think they look better red. I also added block buffers to handle chaldron-type wagons.

Hathor
DSCF9551.JPG

DSCF9550.JPG

DSCF9552.JPG

Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave

Lovely! - is there a back story to the name of the loco?

Regards.
There is. I make up back stories for all of my layouts as I never build models of real places. There is an entire story for the railway itself but the naming of engines is down to the original Manager, one Mr. Ozias Harding, who was very interested in Egyptology and so had every new engine named after an Egyptian deity.

Hudswell Clarke 9-inch contractors' type, Seth
Egyptians-003.jpg
K's whitemetal body on a scratch-built brass chassis and nickel silver motion. Powered by an N20 gearmotor and pinion and crown wheel final drive.

W.G. Bagnall 'wing tank' Anubis.
Operating-the-CVMR-011.jpg

Scratch-built brass body and chassis with nickel silver motion. High Level gearbox and Mashima motor.

Beyer, Peacock, Ra
Ra-003.jpg
Golden Arrow kit, whitemetal body on etched chassis. High Level gearbox and Mitsumi motor.

Manning, Wardle Class F Isis
ClassF-005.jpg

Chivers kit, modified by hacking the cab off and replacing it with a brass weatherboard. High Level gearbox and Chinese copy of Mashima motor.

Unfortunately, the Hudswell and the Manning have to remain as display pieces as I cannot fit DCC gear into them and so can no longer use them.

Dave

Western Thunderer
I forgot about Thoth, the Robert Stephenson 4-4-0ST.
Thoth-001.jpg
Scratchbuilt from brass and nickel silver. High Level gearbox and Mashima motor, I'm hoping to be able to remove some of the lead ballast and get this one back into use with DCC.

Manning, Wardle Class H, Sekhmet, has since been sold as I recieved an offer that I couldn't refuse.
cvmraugust-020.jpg
Scratchbuilt brass body and chassis, High Level gearbox etc.

I think that's it for the Egyptian deities. The Calder Vale Coal & Clay Co., who have running powers over the CVMR, have their own ideas about naming engines.

Dave

Western Thunderer
It's been a while since I added anything to this gallery and I've never shown many of the scrapyard and works layout, so here are a few shots of it.

Cut down Peckett shunting shock vans of tinplate, from Ebbw Vale, at the Metal Box works sidings.
DSCF0379.JPG

Drewry off the road at the Metal Box sidings.
DSCF8668.JPG

Scrap lorry and driver.
nick2.jpg

Hudswell Clarke 204HP loco, shunting the scrapyard.
Hudswellinaction-008.jpg

Osgood

Western Thunderer
You beat me to it David - the most realistic scrap load I‘ve seen modelled, particularly the colour and tone.

Last edited:

Dave

Western Thunderer
Needs a "how to" description :thumbs: ....unless I've missed it somewhere :oops:
How they're made varies, depending on the type of scrap.

For the large lumps I cut up waste Plastruct and plastic tube, bits of old wagon kits, gears etc. I try to avoid wagon wheels, unless they're laid flat, otherwise the thickness and size of the flanges becomes apparent. Sheet Plastikard is also useful. There is a press/baler modelled and the crushed cars are made from aluminum foil, painted and weathered. These also become part of some loads.

The swarf and small scrap is actually the contents of my vacuum cleaner, after vacuuming the shed floor. All sorts of tiny scraps that have escaped the workbench and dog hair! Real swarf, from my lathe, is also added as small scrap.

Everything gets glued to either a card base that is supported so the level comes up off the wagon floor, or those plastic coal loads that come with Airfix 16-ton mineral wagon kits. The entire load is painted with rusty colours and, when the paint is dry, is treated to rust weathering powders. Some parts are picked out with coloured paint as not everything in a scrap load is completely rusty.

charliespics-041.jpg

clasp-004.jpg

The scrapyard is supposedly located in what was at one time a railway goods yard.
Charliesnew 007.jpg

Dave

Western Thunderer
Some photos from a OO micro layout that I have since sold. White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam. The quarry itself was off-scene but the crushing plant/loader was modelled and worked. The tarred limestone wouldn't have been carried by rail by the time of the modelled period but tar came in by rail on the layout.

Scratchbuilt Manning Wardle Class H, entering the scene through a bridge/tunnel that was based on one at Wirksworth.
WPRM 034s.jpg

The engine shed and weighbridge.
WPRM 006s.jpg

Ruston 48DS shunting at the loader.
WP 097s.jpg

Ruston 88DS and tar tanks. Lagged pipes to take the tar to the plant and steam pipes to heat the coils in the tanks.
WP 106s.jpg

Dave

Western Thunderer
I've been playing with the scrapyard and Metal Box works layout recently and have been taking some fresh snaps.

Former NCB Hudswell Clarke 204HP diesel.
DSCF0470.JPG

Motor Rail 65HP diesel at the wagon cutting area.
DSCF0441.JPG

Strip coil to be made into oil and chemical drums, at the works.
DSCF0447.JPG

The scrapyard will run any serviceable engines that come in for scrapping until they fail, as which point they are dispatched with a gas axe and go to become Austin Allegros. A second set of buffers for handling internal use hoppers, a dropped footplate to fit under the coal bunkers and an air compressor, to operate the doors on the hopper wagons that it once hauled, indicate this Peckett was once a gasworks engine.
DSCF0461.JPG