Cutting brass sheet for wagon floors

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
The intention is to make the wagon floor in two layers, one brass and one plastic... the (visible) plastic layer for body detail and the (non-visible) brass layer for weight and rigidity.

Before committing £££ for 24 pieces, it might be worth experimenting with a single piece of brass first (even if laboriously cut out with a piercing saw), to see if this scheme really meets your expectations?

Giles

Western Thunderer
The distortion from a guillotine of that sort on a sheet is very minor on a sheet. I use mine for cutting 1mm strips off for detailing, and even those only have a very slight bow and twist - easily rectified. I've not had to straighten any plates I've made.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I think that this topic has come to a conclusion for me....

1/ I discussed my request with Barry (@lankytank) who runs Metalsmiths (Leeds). Barry is always worth the time to discuss problems in the non-ferrous arena and true to form Barry came up trumps with a recommendation for a laser cutting service which is run for railway modellers (see 3/).

2/ Giles agreed to try a guillotine cut if I provided the brass. Before I got round to sending some material I received an estimate for laser cutting from the laser service as noted in 3/. I am grateful to Giles even though I have gone elsewhere.

3/ Barry recommended that I talk to "ModelEngineersLaser" which is an on-line laser cutting service for railway modellers (from 7mm scale to 5" gauge). The website details an impressive range of parts and kits, all being laser cut parts in ferrous, non-ferrous and plastic materials. I spoke to the owner of the business and I received an estimate of £2.25 to £2.50 per part inclusive of VAT, delivery extra. I have placed an order with the company.

The ModelEngineersLaser website is worth spending a few minutes looking at. One thing that I did notice is that the company says that they have cut bar frames for US locos (@WM183).

regards, Graham