Change of scale

Stuart Birks

I have always modelled in 4mm scale but recently I have been finding that it is a bit of a strain so I fancied something a bit bigger. I dont have the space to do justice to a full O gauge layout so thought I would have a try with O-16.5 narrow gauge. I hunted around on the internet and took a fancy to the Kerr Stewart Wren kit from Locos n Stuff. I have virtually no experience of loco building, normally just making kit wagons and coaches and scratch building buildings still it cant be that hard.
The kit is lovely but the loco is really tiny, much smaller than a 4mm Pannier tank and it was really at the limit of what I could do but in the end it has come out well and I am happy with the result.
IMG_1420a.JPG

IMG_1421a.JPG

IMG_1422a.JPG

IMG_1496a.JPG

IMG_1500a.JPG

I have no layout planned at the moment but since the loco is a success I will start thinking about something.
Stuart

Giles

Western Thunderer
You made a good job of that. The motion is NOT easy or straightforward if I recall, as the etched hole sizes were somewhat delinquent.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I haven't changed scale - still in 1:48 American O Scale - but recently I got bitten by a particularly infectious bug of some sort. It seems to be highly contagious and has caused serious itching. :confused:

No, it's not one of "those" diseases :rolleyes: :oops: ;)

It's one of these....
20240327_205617.jpg
A sudden & acute case of On30-critter-itus.

I thought my shortened Atlas/Roco 0-4-0 switcher was small....
20240327_211004.jpgA Bachmann Spectrum 'Davenport' switcher & caboose. I won't be adding a narrow gauge line to my layout, but do have some plans.

20240323_161209.jpg
I shouldn't be surprised really, but the On30 caboose is just about as big as the standard gauge 4-wheel Bobber. The NG one is on trucks.