Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

mike evans

A bit of a teaser, for those local to me you may recognise this monster that will be coming off the lasers soon.

In 4mm scale it’s 2metres long. Two platforms and both back and from sides to do it’s over 8 meters of buildings.

A suggestion of doing in 7mm was muted and while fantastic, I’m not sure where we would keep it!

More updates soon.

View attachment 178333
Bury St Edmunds Railway station perhaps?

Mike

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I’m often surprised at o gauge shows how much interest there is in other scales. At the guild show Stafford last year I had on our trade stand a modern bothy.

Here is a painted up 7mm version of the kit.
EC192235-AF17-4FC9-8646-C02C1661C3B3.jpeg
We were asked can you do that in 4mm? Of course we can and money was exchanged. Now we had the kit in 7mm didn’t we so it would be a quick job in CAD to simply press a button and rescale to 4mm.

Not really. All our kits are designed to tight tolerances and to specific thicknesses of material selected for suitability. Just rescaling will not usually work as the cuts won’t quite be right and of course the materials will be vastly different thicknesses.

So roll forward and I’ve a patient customer still waiting for his kit. So suitably remind to get this sorted I’ve resized, reworked and kitted out in 4mm.

Yet to be painted this is what we’ve got.
9A2BB97C-40F3-42E4-AC87-65D908150EEA.png2FA123B4-39E2-4B09-87C3-D4030F0D5299.pngA1B0C592-EEDE-489C-8BCB-22CE1324B042.pngF79D498F-5E98-49B2-9AF2-684E7418F3F7.png

Last edited:

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Great to see you did manage to finish it today like you said you were hoping to..

DEC19192-E832-44FD-9823-C72C64ABD763.jpeg
I didn’t take as many photos as I was busy tinkering.. I loved seeing all the kit in person and tickling my cutting itch!
Thank you for having me today
Tom.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
For the modern ish modellers here is our next mystery location going through the building stage.

I really like the concrete buffers that this shed had. I think they place this sheds location as I’ve not seen them anywhere else.

The finished shed will be at the guild show in a few weeks if you’d like to come and see it up close.

66D4F2F8-CAAF-45E7-8BA1-4641ACA5C3CF.jpeg5B601388-C1D1-4308-8826-0036BAA1125F.jpegF3829DBA-7EC9-499F-9FDA-FB1D720A59EF.jpegD69E15CA-7DEC-41AF-8575-9A85814B27B1.jpeg

Last edited:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
No more updates on the shed yet. However another project that we are working on is this GWR footbridge. I’ve not seen this type modelled before and I’ve been asked by several people if we could do it so when I had a firm order I was pretty excited to see what we could do.

The central section is here, the steps will be added Monday. Will be using our corrugated cardboard to represent the roof.
60078599-DCD7-4F20-A750-4536B5577352.jpegA02B8733-92DE-4837-B2F7-3C2C6AD44890.jpegGWR Cad footbridge.jpeg

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
No more updates on the shed yet. However another project that we are working on is this GWR footbridge. I’ve not seen this type modelled before and I’ve been asked by several people if we could do it so when I had a firm order I was pretty excited to see what we could do.

The central section is here, the steps will be added Monday. Will be using our corrugated cardboard to represent the roof.
View attachment 180592View attachment 180593View attachment 180597
Will be interesting to see this one progress. This sort of tech really does lend itself to repeat parts.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Once described as East Anglias prettiest railway bridge dating from 1846 and is in fact a listed building still very much in use today.
D98775BC-9BAC-42F0-AF46-A7280A1734DE.jpeg

I’ve been keen on a model of this since Cynric’s days here so it’s great to now have this beautiful bridge in 4mm model form on our workbench today.
F6D9F42A-BF3C-4081-993E-4CEB5BDA2343.jpeg45146A33-8B62-494A-929C-5F7A7FFE899F.jpeg

There is already several hours of survey and design work gone into this and that’s before a few hours of laser time. A few more bits lasered today will finish it off and then it will be in primer this evening for viewing by the Bury St Edmunds MRC.

The arch under was particularly tricky with its complex double curve. We didn’t have enough time to calculate the geometry for a precision laser cut part. Instead an oversize piece will be lasercut and then trimmed by hand.

It’s been put to the MRC that the 75 year anniversary of the club should be to build Bury St Edmunds Station of which this bridge would be part. Much of the drawing and Cad has been completed. I think if the club don’t go for it a small but dedicated group of us will do it anyway. :)

Attachments

• 9390C175-1735-409B-ABDA-BE9AC20B62A5.jpeg
    9390C175-1735-409B-ABDA-BE9AC20B62A5.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 4
  • F62F704A-8418-437B-B90A-B6DD517B12D1.jpeg
    F62F704A-8418-437B-B90A-B6DD517B12D1.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 4
  • D832329E-6CC3-41DC-846F-6D9BD91D642E.jpeg
    D832329E-6CC3-41DC-846F-6D9BD91D642E.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
There's sets on Roads 1-3 in Marsh Junction DMU shed, but that has beautiful delicate wooden framing...
For the modern ish modellers here is our next mystery location going through the building stage.

I really like the concrete buffers that this shed had. I think they place this sheds location as I’ve not seen them anywhere else.

The finished shed will be at the guild show in a few weeks if you’d like to come and see it up close.

View attachment 179999

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,
If your issue is with getting the shape of the underside of the arch correct, there are any number of cad programs that will unroll that into a 2d surface. If your software can't do it, I could probably help. Or I suspect there are others here on WT that could do it for you as well if so inclined.

All that would be needed is the section in question, saved or exported into a suitable format that can be brought into something like Fusion, Solidworks, or Rhino. Don't need any of the rest of the structure.

Jim

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,
If your issue is with getting the shape of the underside of the arch correct, there are any number of cad programs that will unroll that into a 2d surface. If your software can't do it, I could probably help. Or I suspect there are others here on WT that could do it for you as well if so inclined.

All that would be needed is the section in question, saved or exported into a suitable format that can be brought into something like Fusion, Solidworks, or Rhino. Don't need any of the rest of the structure.

Jim
Thanks Jim, We draw using Qcad in 2D and have used traditional math to calculate any awkward geometry. The roof on our GWR pagoda hut being an example. I’d be really interested to know how to use dxf files work out these things.

Last edited:

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,
I think I misunderstood the situation. I thought I was looking at renders of a 3d cad model, since there isn't anything else in the images like a workbench or clutter. Having re-read your post, I see now that it is instead a 4mm physical model, and I presume you cropped out all the other stuff.

The facility to unroll or unfold surfaces would inherently require a 3d model to start with. If you are only working in 2d cad, which makes sense for laser cutting, then you don't have the information necessary for the operation. That being said, your thread title implies that you also do 3d printing, which means you are doing 3d cad somehow? Which software do you use for that? Perhaps it can unroll the arch.

Otherwise, by appearances it would be very simple to create the surface with just a few dimensions and profiles.

bridge geometry.jpg
Length, skew offset, and the profile would yield the required 3d surface in a few minutes. The profile perpendicular to the road would be preferable if creating the profile from scratch, but either the perpendicular or the skewed opening profile would work if it already existed in cad.

Happy to help if you like. You can always send me a message through WT if you want to take this "offline".

Jim

PaxtonP4

Western Thunderer
Whilst the geometry for a Helicoidal arch is complex it can easily be achieved, for modelling applications, by constructing a circular arch and then placing the bridge over that arch at the required skew angle.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil

I have to say I'm now looking forward to going to Kettering, so where is the prototype location for you shed, it looks really good, what are the overall dimensions. I like your concrete buffers too. Will you have one for sale ?

Thanks

Richard