Breaking Ground - Finescale - of a sort

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I'm sorry about delaying with any replies, but I have spent the last week dodging showers and dealing with a deflated mood by just knuckling down to a major clear up! I am still hoping to have an "Inauguration ceremony" of some sort, (hopefully this coming weekend) and would like everything to be as tidy as possible for the event!

If the truth be told; I had thoroughly exhausted myself with the effort of building the extension, so was not really in a fit state for anything too exciting - let alone strenuous last week anyway?!

A big, belated "thank you" is overdue to all, for the kind remarks and practical assistance with this project.

I will attempt to answer your very good question too Tony...

The original plan for the railway was little more than a means to provide an outdoor running capability for the engine - that was primarily intended for indoor operation! I really should have anticipated the inevitable escalation into a full-blown, all singing and dancing, garden railway!

Mr. O., had already made plans, and was busily buying materials for his "adopted" garden, and I saw the opportunity to combine his desire for slate chipping pathways with my own for running trains! At the time, a pauper's choice of rail was rather limited to using UPVC strip however, and that material benefitted from the continuous support provided by the previously acquired, geodetic, "ground stabilisation matting"!

Although in retrospect, railway formations and footways should never be mixed (unless the rails are buried in true tramway fashion) but we have a very narrow plot that left little choice for any alternative anyway! Even after making the rather bold decision to go for proper profile, aluminium rail, and quite apart from cost considerations, the maximum height of 16mm was chosen in order to reduce the possibility of trips and twisted ankles!

Slate chippings are indeed very pretty, and given our (slightly tenuous) family connections with Cymru, are quite pleasing. They are however next to useless as track ballast - for while it is happily non compressible and perfectly load bearing, being a mass of little flat, sliding, non interlocking, rock renders the material quite incapable of holding sleepers laterally! There is no such issue with laying rails on the matting, but on conventional trackwork, a decent, granular and drainable material for grip is absolutely necessary! I decided to use heavier than usual (for 5 inch gauge) sleepers on the loop line, and set them deep in Derbyshire stone - allowing for a top dressing of purely decorative slate in order to more closely match Mr. O's aspirations!

There are two main disadvantages with the matting though: It really requires a solid foundation of well compacted hardcore to maintain levels, and although there was plenty of rubbish available to "hide" beneath the formation, it was an awful lot of extra work smashing it up and pounding it in!

The second problem is more the result of choosing the low, 16mm rail, as apposed to the next size available: (21mm) - and designing the whole affair for the primary benefit of the grandchildren! The trouble is, they have a tendency to move about without having yet learned how to use their feet properly! They often run with a scuffing, toe down action, and also tend to suddenly stop, swerve or otherwise unexpectedly (for us oldies anyway) change direction! Such actions have the general effect of widely distributing carefully laid ballast, but more particularly, often end up ramming and jamming some of the chippings up under the rail heads - thus conflicting with wheel flanges and being the cause of many a bumpy ride, as well as the occasional derailment!

Timber sleepered track - although more expensive per metre - is very much simpler to lay in the first place - only requiring a membrane lined trench, but is also, more importantly perhaps, a great deal easier to adjust, re-align and re pack when the need arises.

Another plus is that the rail bridges the gap between the sleepers, and ballast seems more often go under, rather than over - as well as sliding easily off the smooth areas of timber. We have had far fewer "incidents" on the previously laid junction points - and none at all in the station area!

Fears of durability or gauging issues with the peculiar matting system have so far proved to be unfounded, and it certainly "did the trick" of encouraging further development in the first place... but I would definitely not recommend its use in future!

Heavy duty matting - of the type used for vehicular traffic, might be quite a bit more expensive, but laid as intended with a fine "pea shingle" or plain turf, and a using a higher profile rail, could provide a useful solution for ground level trackwork in some awkward situations? I would be just as suspicious of using that stuff as any other form of plastic sleepering - anywhere near live steam locomotives though?! Timber can get set alight, but is fairly easily doused. Charred sleepers can retain their integrity, (up to a point) but melting plastic is not nice at all!

Much as I love the idea and appearance of inset tramlines, I am sticking with ordinary for the coming run-round, turntable/engine shed spurs, and the long siding up to the "driveway"!!

Pete.

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
It seems like an age since the loop was completed, but the weather at weekends this summer has not been allowing much in the way of outdoor playtime - let alone the additional problem of being able to get everyone in the same place on any particular day! Mrs I., and me were looking forward to enjoying a bit of a tea party to mark the opening of the extension, when all the family could attend.

This Sunday, just gone, seemed to be a last chance for a while, although rain was forecast for later in the afternoon. Being unsure of how things would turn out we left the organisations to the last minute, and as it happened, not all were able to come over anyway! Unfortunately, it started drizzling much earlier than expected, so we only managed to grab a brief moment to string a tissue paper ribbon across the line, and it was Mr.T., that had the honour of driving the first train all the way round - to as much cheering as a small group could muster!

hhSAM_8982.JPGhhSAM_8983.JPGhhSAM_8984.JPG

After just a few trips - with the ribbon cellotaped back together - giving each child a chance to experience "breaking through" in the driver's seat, we had to hastily pack everything away, dry off, and entertain the bunch back indoors with the contents of several toyboxes!

We are still hoping to have a proper, and perhaps grander completion "do" when the remaining track - including the essential turntable - is laid at the western end of the line!

A small bottle of something, and a bundle of bunting has already been specially acquired for that purpose!

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I'm afraid that a combination of rather poor weather, and the front of the garden becoming a hazardous demolition site meant that train services on the line have had to be suspended, well before the end of the normal operating season! Having to turn down numerous requests has been frustrating for everyone - to say the very least!

Construction work is at last getting under way now though, (whenever a few dry days and available labour coincide anyway) and progress on the new "Goods Shed" is is coming along very nicely...

hhSAM_9304.JPG

As you can see, there is space for the track bed of the "long siding" between the structure and the concrete slab pathway now!

The other, smaller shed - visible beyond and in the following views below, once emptied of all the crammed in "junk" will then be moved up into the space between and turned through ninety degrees, to become a proper, working "Engine Shed"!

hhSAM_9309.JPG
hhSAM_9312.JPG

I am hoping to build a sturdy lean-to extension at the rear, from reclaimed materials, with a door threshold set at rail level providing direct access for all rolling stock to be wheeled into what will effectively be a "sunken" section of floor.

Whilst I have no say in any finishes applied to the goods shed, something to do with warranties/guarantees and all that, I have been informed that the engine shed has been reserved entirely for "railway" use - so I promise that appropriate decoration will be provided! Indeed, there is a sufficient surplus of really nice, LNER "1937 scheme"/SOUTHERN RAILWAY, "Green No.3A", (Middle Chrome) exterior paint (that Mr. O., had surprised me by secretly borrowing some of my original samples and then carefully mixed a batch at his workplace - to a very precise match) that will therefore be absolutely ideal for the job!!

Admittedly, there is still an awful lot of work to do, but hopefully, next season's running sessions should be even more exciting than before?!

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Although it might seem as if I am plagiarising Mr. Chris (Pencarrow) latest, and superb Bodmin North buildings, I can assure everyone that the structures described here for our own line are nothing more than the result of fate!

Earlier this summer, Mr. O., purchased a 6ft x 8ft shed to accommodate all the accumulations contained in the old caravan - including a lot of stuff from my long demolished art studio! I had intended to build a lean-to extension up against same, specifically to relieve Mrs. I., of the growing collection of materials and railway rolling stock cluttering her house and home! The new acquisition immediately proved to be hopelessly inadequate - even for the existing collection, so Mr. O., then surprised us by digging deep into his pockets, and generously buying another one, only this time of a much grander, 12ft x 8ft version - complete with double leaf doors on the side!

It was then declared that the first shed, rather than being sold on to partially recoup precious funds, would be retained for exclusive Railway use!

I am now happy to say that after presenting the sketch, appended below, to the "relevant authorities", permission has been fully granted to proceed, at the earliest opportunity!

hhSAM_9313comp ENGINE SHED proposal sketch.jpg
Most of the materials required, including some reclaimed, are already on site, but it remains a matter of assisting with the internal fitting out of the main "Goods shed", and then after the transfer of contents, (including all the stuff temporarily crammed into the still incomplete - but dry and sound - Station Booking Office) work can begin on the big, little shed, shift!

Much fun to come methinks?!

Pete.

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
That's lovely Brian! Oh for a plot like that... although having an old bus on site might be most desirable, I'm not quite so sure about one for living accommodation?!

Pete.

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
The turnouts and crossovers in his trackwork impressed (albeit in steel bar), as did the use of coil springs for suspending wagon axle bearings (much like for some electric and diesel loco bogies).
I wonder if that arrangement would ease the pulling load around your return loop?