BR (LMR) Swanbroke (Goods)

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
Hi Vaughan,

I think the Great Eastern generally was quite big on goods sheds. It may have been a consequence of being a largely agricultural railway, with a bigger emphasis on perishable goods (rather than minerals).

I have recently finished a goods shed based on Lavenham and it does seem to have a family style which it shared with other stations where the main buildings were in the 1865 style. That said, there were many variations as the GER was an amalgam of numerous other companies, each with their own style and it also developed other styles for later construction.

In short, a goods shed would be a fine thing!

Nigel
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the info, I am definitely warming to the idea of a goods shed as a feature just need to review the building style option that would be the most suitable.

Vaughan

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
A small amount of progress on the drainage canal, with more side walls and the rainwater drainage outflows from the goods yard installed.

Unfortunately modelling has now been brought to a standstill by a dislocated shoulder caused due to heavy lifting last weekend, when clearing the kitchen for the refit that is now on-going.

Swanbroke8.JPG

Swanbroke9.JPG

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Vaughan

On Love Lane we have been building a version based on the Ongar shed. We used the GERS drawings as a basis though they are rather sketchy. Ours is a mirror of the Ongar shed to suit our location.

We have drawn and laser cut this ourselves so please let me know if we can help. I would like to say the building is finished but it does have its challenges. There are pictures on the Love Lane thread.

John

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
Vaughan

On Love Lane we have been building a version based on the Ongar shed. We used the GERS drawings as a basis though they are rather sketchy. Ours is a mirror of the Ongar shed to suit our location.

We have drawn and laser cut this ourselves so please let me know if we can help. I would like to say the building is finished but it does have its challenges. There are pictures on the Love Lane thread.

John
John, thank you for kind offer which may be of interest,

I have been inspired by Love Lane since seeing it in MRJ, although I have not yet been lucky enough to see it in the 'flesh'. Will have a closer look at the goods shed and contact you personally on this,

Thanks again,
Vaughan

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
Morning Vaughan,

Sorry to hear of your mishap. Hope things are on the mend.

Rob
Thanks Rob,

Glad to read that your recovery is progressing.

Obviously my mishap is not as serious as your surgery. Things are gradually improving, just damned annoying and the realisation that I'm not as young as when I was last involved in a kitchen refit!

All the best,
Vaughan

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
Thankfully the issue will my arm has now diminished, although heavy lifting is still not permitted.

A start has been made on laying the base for the front yard and experimenting with suitable surface textures. This base will allow the hard standing to be built up to almost sleeper top height, although only track on the rear siding will actually be inset for part of it's length. It will also enable items such the coal staithes, weighbridge and weighbridge hut to be inset, assisting the 'bedding in' process.

Part of the top surface will be stone setts, whilst other areas will be rougher, like a well used ash / gravel mix, similar to some of the images in 'The Benwick Branch' by Peter Paye, particularly those on pages 40 & 63. My first attempt is shown on the photo below which was achieved using AK Interactive Terrain Spread that has been sanded back slightly. It is as yet uncoloured, if used this will need to be coloured carefully to capture the undulations and lowlights / highlights.

Swanbroke10.JPG

Swanbroke11.JPG

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Good to hear that you're on the road to recovery, Vaughan and lovely to see a return to some no doubt therapeutic modelling.

Rob

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob,
Therapy is definitely needed as great pressure is being exerted to finish the kitchen refit before Christmas!
Cheers
Vaughan

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
Following the recent hiatus, the layout has been restarted in a smaller form with a change of company from LNER to LMS (Ex Midland) lines. The basic track plan has been retained but in a space of 1200mm x 300mm with a detachable fiddle stick. The layout marks a return to basics, DC control (although wired to allow conversion to DCC), manual point operation with crossing / frog polarity manually switched.

The baseboard started as an Ikea shelf found skulking in the loft, with top layers of plywood & Foamex extruded foamed plastic. Track and turnouts are Peco code 75 bullhead as previously used.

Following a period of testing, scenic development is underway with installation of a road bridge and planning using assembled basic structure shells, both scratch-built and kit bashed Petite Properties and Scale Model Scenery kits. In addition to the structure shells shown in the photos, the rear (private) siding will serve a small works to be assembled using parts from Petite Properties and Walthers kits. The front siding will also feature a small trackside goods shed and an end loading dock. Buffer stops are Midland Railway types from Lanarkshire Models kits.

DSC05913.JPG

DSC05914.JPG

DSC05915.JPG

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
Vaughan, I like those neat ends for the point operating rods, what are they?
Tim T
They are 22mm diameter single hole cardigan buttons supplied by SWMBO from her button stash, unfortunately the supplier name is unknown to both of us. I am advised something similar should be available from knitting or needlecraft shops.
Vaughan

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
I should have added that the layout is to be set in circa 1934. So after the LMS simplified their locomotive liveries and before they changed their wagon livery from grey with large lettering to bauxite with small lettering.

I am trying to keep the wagon fleet representative e.g. more opens than vans, only appropriate wagons from other railway companies and very few 'special purpose' wagons. Unfortunately the spate of new wagon releases, primarily from Rapido is straining my controlled approach with rather more GWR & SR wagons than is appropriate. I have been more restrained in selecting the new RCH 1907 opens. Kit building will be still be required to complete a representative selection of LMS vans etc. All stock still requires various degrees of weathering.

DSC05929.JPG

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
Very much liking this Vaughan.

What was it that caused the switch from ex GER to LM&SR ?

Rob
Going back to my modelling roots; the LMS / LMR was my initial interest when I returned to railway modelling around 25 years ago.

I grew up in an area on LMR and although dieselisation had occurred, much of the original Midland Railway infrastructure was still in place. Several of the modellers I knew during the period before I found other 'interests' in my late teens were old enough to have first hand experience of the LMS or early LMR.

It is also possible to have a reasonable LMS (Ex Midland Railway) goods loco stud initially using RTR locos, as 1F, 3F Jinty, 3F & 4F tender locos are all available, although some require further detailing. I have been lucky that though the locos have been purchased secondhand, they are good slow runners.

I am currently resisting the temptation to acquire a Model Rail / Heljan diesel shunter in pre-war LMS livery, which is totally incorrect for my layout time period. However David Jenkinson had his so called 'funnies' on his layout, so perhaps one may appear.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
I have just caught up with this interesting thread I was rather puzzled initially by the 'LMS' title as I worked through the content. All became clear with post #32 onward. May I compliment you on your excellent modelling and most interesting scenery, particularly the drainage canal.

Like yourself, my 'home' system was the LMS (former MR) with an added interest in the LNER (former GCR London extension). My "Sumwear in England" reflects a fictional area in war-time England where these companies co-existed. It has a sliding time scale of 1940-44.

Having discovered 'LMS Swanbroke - Goods' I shall enjoy future revelations. It is a delight.

Roger.

Last edited:

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
Thank you for your kind comments, Roger.

During the last couple of days the front and left hand end facias have been installed. The first photo shows this plus the laser cut supports (from SMS) for the raised area that will include the trackside goods shed with road loading / unloading area and also end loading provision.

DSC05918.JPG

The second photo shows the other end of the layout with the 'cubby' for the crossing polarity changeover switches and the start of grass bank base colouring. The facias will all be painted in my usual Farrow & Ball 'Lichen' green colour to enable them to blend better into the domestic environment.

DSC05919.JPG

Vaughan45

Western Thunderer
The painting of the front and end facias is now complete. Next steps include painting the inside of the switch 'cubby' in a dark colour, completing the build of the loading docks / platform, finalising the plan for the rear low relief industrial structures and then fitting & painting a rear facia. Additionally a number of Rapido RCH 1907 wagons that are appropriate for the area require 3 link couplings and thoughts will turn to suitable weathering for a mid-1930s setting.

Unlike other micro layouts I have built in the past 20 years, this one will not have an integral backscene, but a detachable one, possibly in a 'horizontal blind' format that can be rolled up when not in use. If the layout is to be operated out of its usual location a lighting rig will be required, in it's home environment the room's dimmable LED lighting array is sufficient.

DSC05921.JPG