7mm , Blackney, A Glimpse of the Forest

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
only the wing mirrors to fit
I did notice that, but didn't like to say - it's my ex-HGV driver head, wing mirrors are vital on trucks, although given how small 1950s mirrors were, and speeds much slower, maybe not so much back then.... :)

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Seriously off-topic but.....

One of Snetterton's WW2 runways was being broken up and the crushed concrete hauled away by a fleet of Thames Trader SWB 6x4 tippers (not that it makes any difference but they had red chassis, green cab with yellow roof).
The eight drivers were arguing over who had the fastest truck, so it was decided to load 'em up, line 'em up, and use the whole length of one of the intact runways to find out.
As it turned out they were all pretty evenly matched, but - as a consequence - when they inadvertently all nipped up due to the outermost driver on the right gradually veering to the left, they all lost their cab mirrors :eek:
It would appear the governor never did discover how the mirrors came to grief..........

Alan

Western Thunderer
I decided to have another look at my scenic fiddle yard. I realised that most of the removable bit needn't be removed, so with saw in hand cut it diagonally.

As built and taken off layout to use sector plate

sector plate working  2.jpg

Now with the part near the road clued down and with the smaller part removed and sector plate working

after cut 2.jpg

after cut 3.jpg

and with smaller part back in place, in real life you can barely see the join as Eric said to Ernie.

after cut 1.jpg

Last edited:

Alan

Western Thunderer
Having done that work I now find I want to play, whoops, operate the layoutand the first train run is 8749 running a short empties train to Southern United Colliery. and here we have two shots of it entering the loop in Blackney prior to propelling its train up to the colliery.

empties arriving.jpg

new 4.JPG

As itbeginns to cross the unmanned crossing Brian Wills is aproaching after his trip to the Colliery. You might notice that Brian is now in his lorry and driving and the guard is keeping a careful watch.

propelled 1.jpg

propelled 2.jpg

Alan

Western Thunderer
having not done alot on the layout I used todays rain, therefore no gardening or getting the boat ready for winter, to start On my conversion of a Slaters GWR 3 plank wagon into another P18 ballast wagon. Progess to date, I have built, or stuck bits of plasticard together to make the shell of the body.

P18 2 1.jpg