Blacker Lane Disposal Point NCBOE (4mm/OO)

Dave

Western Thunderer
Things are now at the stage of being just about complete but with lots of little bits to do. Being at this stage tends to mean they don't get done because I go in the shed and end up running trains instead.

I added to the loco fleet by taking a Thomas Hill 'Vanguard' diesel that usually runs on my scrapyard layout and giving it a makeover - well, some NCB lettering on the cab, anyway. The Ruston, the TH, and the Kerr Stuart Victory are all a bit of Modeller's Licence and didn't work at British Oak but that's one reason for calling the layout Blacker Lane and having it based on BO, rather than attempt to accurately recreate the true location.

DSCF0813.JPG

DSCF0819s.jpg

DSCF0828.JPG
I need to add many more trees, especially at the back of this scene to attempt to disguise how the viaduct ends abrubtly at the back scene wall.

Industrial

Things are now at the stage of being just about complete but with lots of little bits to do. Being at this stage tends to mean they don't get done because I go in the shed and end up running trains instead.

I added to the loco fleet by taking a Thomas Hill 'Vanguard' diesel that usually runs on my scrapyard layout and giving it a makeover - well, some NCB lettering on the cab, anyway. The Ruston, the TH, and the Kerr Stuart Victory are all a bit of Modeller's Licence and didn't work at British Oak but that's one reason for calling the layout Blacker Lane and having it based on BO, rather than attempt to accurately recreate the true location.

View attachment 210872

View attachment 210873

View attachment 210874
I need to add many more trees, especially at the back of this scene to attempt to disguise how the viaduct ends abrubtly at the back scene wall.
Dave. Look out for April 2024 Steam Days. Pages 34 & 35 in Colour of the area you are modelling.

Dave

Western Thunderer
My friend, Scott, came to visit on Saturday and we had a good session of running the layout. For "operational reasons" (some may call it Rule 1) BR were running beyond the exchange sidings and down the NCB line. Something to do with NCB shunters not being willing to couple up the hoses on fitted trains - a union thing, I expect. ;)

DSCF0895.JPG

DSCF0905s.jpg

DSCF0918.JPG

DSCF0919.JPG

Dave

Western Thunderer
I have done almost nothing to the layout itself but have been busy adding to the loco roster. There was never a 16-inch Special Manning Wardle at British Oak but there is now one at Blacker Lane.

It is built using parts from a 3D-printed kit, a modified Hornby B2 Peckett chassis and some scratch-built parts.
DSCF0962.JPG

DSCF0970.JPG
There's not a lot of Hornby left in it. The chassis block, wheels and rods are all that remain and even then the wheels have been modified to remove the pizza cutter flanges and large balance weight overlays have been added. Even the motor has been replaced with a larger and more powerful coreless motor. The keep and pickups have been replaced, too. Parts from the 3D print kit that were replaced with brass scratched items are the running plate, buffer beams, cylinders, slide bars, motion brackets and cab steps. The brakes were all wrong and at the front of the wheels but should be at the rear, so they were all made from scratch. Frame overlays were made from 10 thou. brass sheet to give the correct length and profile and were epoxied to the Hornby chassis block.

All in all, a right faff! It does look the dog's though, IMHO, of course. It also performs well, weighing in at 215g, which is 40g more than the original donor model and with the power to take advantage of the weight with the new motor.

This is how it started out:
20240321_160929.jpg
20240322_131458.jpg
20240328_141306.jpg