Basingstoke Open Day And Swap Meet

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Maybe a little early... better than a little late... the following event details are to appear in the Model Railway press in the forthcoming months.

<<quote>>
The Basingstoke and North Hampshire Model Railway Society is 40 years young this year and
the proverbial “cutting of the cake” is to take place during our annual Open Day on 22nd
September 2012. The Open Day offers an opportunity for visitors to enjoy – and possibly
operate – club and member’s layouts in an informal atmosphere.... together with the
opportunity to see progress on the new 4mm and 7mm layouts. In recognition of this being the
40th Anniversary the Basingstoke Society is extending the Open Day with the addition of a
Swap Meet.

As in past years the Open Day is to be held in the Club Hut and adjacent Scout Hut whilst the
Swap Meet is to be held in the Kempshott Village Hall. All of these buildings are situated in
Stratton Park signposted off Pack Lane, Basingstoke. The post code for the Scout Hut / Club
Hut is RG22 5HN.

The Open Day runs from 10.00am until 4.00pm (3.00pm for Swap Meet), admission is £1.00
per adult. For further information please see http://www.bnhmrs.hampshire.org.uk/ .
<<end quote>>
regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I was rather pleased to meet several WTers at our open day last year... well actually three members of this forum. Maybe we can beat that number this year? Please let me know if you might attend.

regards, Graham

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I wish, perhaps when I retire (No Sang Cheng to buy op stock from then though). I am going in the opposite direction to the US and Canada.

S

SteveO

I'll have to check whether this falls on my Poland trip weekend but if not I could pop along - not too far from Hove.

S

SteveO

Not that bad, I travel to London, Suffolk and midlands on a regular basis. I could kick a ball to Basingstoke in comparison! Will you have an insight into what's on the bring and buy table nearer the time?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Another month on and time for an update...

Most of the layouts are to be placed in the Scout Hut, current Club projects are to be in the Club Hut and the Swap Meet is to be in the Kempshott Village Hall. Stand outside one venue and you can see the other two venues, no more than 400 yards between any two stops on the Tour de Stratton Park (so no need for your bikes).

Swap Meet is coming along, space for one or two more Traders so if you know of a trader who is free on the 22nd September and might be interested then please contact me either here or via PM.

Biggest problem to date is to decide on the size of the cake (or cakes). If you intend to attend then please give a thumbs up here as that will help with deciding on the important question of cake quantity!

Full details can be found in post no.#1 or ask here.

Thanks, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Silly me, I have forgotten something which people generally consider to be important.... unless cycling to the event.

Parking :rolleyes: .

We have lots of FREE parking, at the Club Hut and at the Village Hall, space for around 200 cars.

Sorry, there is no heritage bus service for the 400 yards between the Village Hall and the Club Hut :D .

regards, Graham

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Not too far????:confused:

AA route planner gives between 68 miles (greater than two hours) and 85 miles (90 minutes via M23, M25 and M3... they have to be joking ).

Yep, too far.
Like Steve I drive a way to get to work. My daily commute is 200 miles. I might try and get down, but I'll be penniless after Telford.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
My daily commute is 200 miles.

I used to do that sort of journey in 1973... by train... about 6.45am from Reading to Bristol.... Wezzie most days. Sometimes the service was diverted via Hants and Berks so there was always an interesting sound from the front on that route.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
As of today, seven booked traders for the swap meet with another couple of possibles - there is room for a few more if you have any favourites! We have invited either traders who have supported the Club over a number of years or those who offer a broader range than just railways (for example:- railways plus transport books). If anyone is interested I can provide a list of the names although I suspect that many of the traders do not have web-sites.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Just over one week until our Open Day on 22nd September. The Swap Meet looks like these eight or nine traders... most are from the Hampshire / Berkshire / London areas:-

Neil Cresswell;
A&B Models;
Ron Lines;
Brian's Trains;
Ian the Book (I joke not... that is how he is known);
Terry Robinson;
Clive Lewis;
Neville's Restorations.

plus a private individual who wishes to sell his collection of die-cast buses.

Most of the traders are primarily 4mm with a mix of RTR and kits. Ian-the-book has promised publications which are that little bit different. Neville's Restorations, to quote from his hand-out:-
"Corgi Dinky Matchbox
Transform Models
From old to new"

The Club layouts will include the current 4mm Lulworth and SE28 exhibition layouts plus several layouts under construction:-
* N-gauge (which needs a name);
* Round South, 4mm South London circa 1970-80;
* 7mm (which needs a name);
* Nine Yards, a member's 4mm layout;
* Scruft's Junction, a member's 7mm layout.

Maybe we need a "Name that Layout" competition?

Still got to work on "The Cake".... I went to the supermarket to see about the "We print your birthday cake" with a copy of our club logo. Guess the response... "Oh no, we cannot do that without an indemnity against copyright infringement". Speechless!!!!!!!!!!!! The Club logo has been in use for 40 years and none of the current members can recall who drew the logo in the first place. So back to Plan A and a pesky tank engine.

regards, Graham

adrian

Flying Squad
Still got to work on "The Cake".... I went to the supermarket to see about the "We print your birthday cake" with a copy of our club logo. Guess the response... "Oh no, we cannot do that without an indemnity against copyright infringement". Speechless!!!!!!!!!!!! The Club logo has been in use for 40 years and none of the current members can recall who drew the logo in the first place.
If you are serious about the cake then there are plenty of places online that will print the image onto an edible transfer sheet for you. Then make or buy a plain white iced cake and then put transfer on the cake. Not that I'm an expert on these matters - I leave that to my better half, but I can get you a couple of links for the places she uses.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
If you are serious about the cake then there are plenty of places online that will print the image onto an edible transfer sheet for you..... I can get you a couple of links for the places.

Yes please.

Although annoying, I agree with the position which the supermarket was/is taking. After all, the club logo is a work of art which is therefore subject to the law of copyright. As the club was formed in 1971 we shall have to wait until 2046 before the copyright expires!

regards, Graham