NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

I'm another fan of a green 08 and more recently the Heljan/ Model Rail Class 11. Ideal for a bit of relaxed shuntage. I picked up one of the latest DCC sound Bachmann 03s today and I have to say, it's exceptional in terms of both performance and the noise it makes......an unforeseen consequence is that I'm now thinking I 'need' to fit sound to the Class 11 and one of the 08s.....

Drat..

Rob.

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

I'm another fan of a green 08 and more recently the Heljan/ Model Rail Class 11. Ideal for a bit of relaxed shuntage. I picked up one of the latest DCC sound Bachmann 03s today and I have to say, it's exceptional in terms of both performance and the noise it makes......an unforeseen consequence is that I'm now thinking I 'need' to fit sound to the Class 11 and one of the 08s.....

Drat..

Rob.
Hi Rob,

I've taken a keen interest in the Class 11s too and was tempted to pick one up when I went to the NEC show in May. However, I resisted. I may get one though and I have my eye on a blue one, potentially. I take it they are super smooth and crawl well just like the Hornby and Bachmann ones?
Do you have DCC on one of the sheep layouts?

Good to chat with you as always,
Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Great pictures Chris. Dare I say they look like you've gone O gauge.

Only a matter of time! ;)

Tim
Thanks Tim. I will one day. Start with a small shunting 0 gauge project and work my way upwards.
I'm tempted quite often to start picking up some 0 gauge wagons to weather up. Eventually I'll have enough that I'll have to build a layout! :D
Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
This week I have found myself with the bliss of working from home. The beauty of this situation is that when I get bored of work I can do some actually interesting work, and that, everyone, means modelling tasks. Oh, and some running of course.

The other evening I found myself watching a weathering clip from a guy who weathered a 16ton mineral using a method I hadn't explored. I gave it a go and it was a shambles. I'm a big believer though in trial and error and I am a reflective learner.

Fortunately, the wagon was some old naff wagon that I had in the bottom of a box, so that was fortunate. Anyway, this afternoon I had a go at a different method using my traditional favourites of washes, enamels and powders.

PXL_20240828_195155658.jpg

The wagon was pristine when I took it off the shelf (hence why it hasn't been used yet either on here or at the model club's main layout). This needed some treatment. So:
  • It started with a dirty wash all over using Humbrol matt enamel 32 grey. Liberally applied, especially in all the nooks and crannies and then wiped clear with downward strokes. No more pristine bodywork.
  • One completed on all bodywork sides, it was left to dry by an open window next to my desk (and I had to get on with some actual paid work. I know, always getting in the way!)
  • It didn't take long at all to dry. Then I applied small amounts of Humbrol matt enamel 98, which is a chocolatey brown colour, to the bodyside panels. Small speckles and larger areas to simulate deep, wet rust patches showing through. I was careful not to go overboard though. Little and often is key and also each panel is different.
  • Once dry, it was given another quick wash and wipe off. The underframe was given a quick coating of Ammo's 'City Dark Dust' and 'Dark Earth'.
I'm happy with it and it looks far better.

PXL_20240828_195131089.jpg

PXL_20240828_195341433.jpg

PXL_20240828_195353097.jpg

PXL_20240828_195315134.jpg

From a distance the wagon is great and sat alone in a siding looks perfect.
Chris

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

I've taken a keen interest in the Class 11s too and was tempted to pick one up when I went to the NEC show in May. However, I resisted. I may get one though and I have my eye on a blue one, potentially. I take it they are super smooth and crawl well just like the Hornby and Bachmann ones?
Do you have DCC on one of the sheep layouts?

Good to chat with you as always,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, I have a Class 11 which I took to Exeter as a back up loco for Ewe which is indeed DCC. The Class 11 is fitted with a Zimo Next 18 and it is super creepy crawly smooth, equal to the best of my Hornby 08s, if not better. I'm hoping to pick up another. I have my eye on the BR black version as this is an East Anglian loco.

I've also just picked up one of the new batch of Bachmann 03s. They're now fitted with coreless motors and I've gone for the sound fitted jobs. It's excellent. Again very smooth with good sound and great fun.

Rob.

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

Yes, I have a Class 11 which I took to Exeter as a back up loco for Ewe which is indeed DCC. The Class 11 is fitted with a Zimo Next 18 and it is super creepy crawly smooth, equal to the best of my Hornby 08s, if not better. I'm hoping to pick up another. I have my eye on the BR black version as this is an East Anglian loco.

I've also just picked up one of the new batch of Bachmann 03s. They're now fitted with coreless motors and I've gone for the sound fitted jobs. It's excellent. Again very smooth with good sound and great fun.

Rob.
Hi Rob,

Superb! Thank you for the detailed information. I shall certainly look into a Heljan Class 11 for sure. Last night I was taking a look at the Bachmann 03s too which look tempting, especially now that you say the motors have been altered.

This leaves the Class 04 locos needing an update now from Bachmann, I guess?

Chris :)

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Nice weathering work, there! Thanks for the explanation of your technique - I find weathering quite difficult to get right, so I'll try your method.

Mark

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Nice weathering work, there! Thanks for the explanation of your technique - I find weathering quite difficult to get right, so I'll try your method.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Absolutely, please do. It works for me. Perhaps start practicing on an old wagon first to find your feet and then take it from there.

Chris