Axlebox

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Hello and Welcome we are a friendly lot here all we want is a lot of pictures and good explanations enjoy yourself mate

Axlebox

Hi to everyone, I've just joined. The site looks very interesting I hope I make a worthwhile contribution.

I haven't got many piccies to show yet apart from the driving wheels for a SR Merchant Navy rebuilt. I am fairly well advanced with this kit ( David Andrews), unfortunately I did not photograph the construction but I can take some photos to reveal parts of and as it stands at present. I prefer to use electrical pickup from the driving wheel axle boxes and I use split axles to enable this. This presented a problem as I would normally use Alan Harris wheels and he never ever made any Firth Brown Box Pok wheels so I had to use Slater's wheels.
A friend of mine told me about some S7 etchings which would fit over the Slaters wheels to give a more realistic appearance and he managed to get hold of set. The photos show the wheels with the etchings fitted ( I call them HUB CAPS as I used to be in the motor trade). What I did to modify the Slater's wheels I will leave for another report.

Attachments

• untitled-0835.jpg
    untitled-0835.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Bob

Axlebox

Big Bertha.jpeg
One I made earlier! About 25 years earlier in fact .It's completely scratch built apart from the RG7 motor and gearbox.​
The wheels are Alan Harris castings machined by me. It has split and insulated axles to allow electrical pick up from the axle boxes(also insulated). All dimensions were taken from works general arrangement drawings.​
It is a very powerful beast with five axles and four of them compensated. I made this for someone who had a layout incorporating the Lickey Incline, so it it no longer belongs to me and it is not the sort of engine I would have made for myself as there was only one original made for the specific task to push trains up the incline.​
It was the first scratch built loco I ever produced and I am not a professional loco builder.​
I hope to produce a few decent piccies of my current project which is the West Country rebuilt as mentioned earlier so this new photo is something to look at for the time being.​
Roy​

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
WT humour can sometimes catch peeps out... and maybe this is one of those instances. The photo of the banker shows the model to be superb and worthy of being shown here, just there is a contrast between that photo, the pikky of the Bulleid wheels and the comment "I haven't got many piccies to show yet apart from... ".

Under-selling one's achievements?

Possibly ;) . Probably :thumbs: . Definitely :bowdown: .

Axlebox

WT humour can sometimes catch peeps out... and maybe this is one of those instances. The photo of the banker shows the model to be superb and worthy of being shown here, just there is a contrast between that photo, the pikky of the Bulleid wheels and the comment "I haven't got many piccies to show yet apart from... ".

Under-selling one's achievements?

Possibly ;) . Probably :thumbs: . Definitely :bowdown: .

I genuinely do not have many pikkies to show but I cannot say that I am a beginner because I am not, but those Bulleid wheels have quite a story behind them and when I describe what I did you can think I am nuts and even say it.

Axlebox

I was not taken aback by the ignored content because King John was just checking to see what I had put on the WT pages. He is a close friend of mine and last night we were working in my workshop as we do twice a week. He was also the friend who obtained the etchings for the Box Pock wheels.

I did mention earlier today in response to Dog Star's comments that I would upload a picture of Big Bertha before she was painted. I did upload the picture but I cannot seem to find it so I will try and do it again.

Attachments

• Big Bertha Unpainted043.jpg
    Big Bertha Unpainted043.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 34

adrian

Flying Squad
It was the first scratch built loco I ever produced and I am not a professional loco builder.

That's a very impressive first build - most people would have tackled something simpler first! Me, I went for a Dean Goods. It's nice to see coupling rods and valve gear of the correct colour ( a particular hobby horse of mine!).