ANTEX 660 TC FAULT AND REPAIR

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Can I ask, are 'older' Antex soldering stations easy to repair?

I've had a trusty Antex 660TC for many years and now find it isn't hotting up beyond hand warm, even though I've left it switched on at various temperature settings for two or three hours to confirm that there is indeed a problem. The white light remains on, the red light only gives a brief wink and only very occasionally during that time period, other than that the red light remains off. I've had the top off and I can't find any loose connections or any obvious issues to my untrained eye. In the past six months I had noticed the iron would cool down unexpectedly and hot up again correctly once I had wiggled the Din connector on the lead from the iron. This issue though might be a red herring. Am I looking at the temperate control thingy having packed up, and if yes, is a repair possible?
Cheers
Tony

Paul Cheffings

Can I ask, are 'older' Antex soldering stations easy to repair?

I've had a trusty Antex 660TC for many years and now find it isn't hotting up beyond hand warm, even though I've left it switched on at various temperature settings for two or three hours to confirm that there is indeed a problem. The white light remains on, the red light only gives a brief wink and only very occasionally during that time period, other than that the red light remains off. I've had the top off and I can't find any loose connections or any obvious issues to my untrained eye. In the past six months I had noticed the iron would cool down unexpectedly and hot up again correctly once I had wiggled the Din connector on the lead from the iron. This issue though might be a red herring. Am I looking at the temperate control thingy having packed up, and if yes, is a repair possible?
Cheers
Tony
Hi

The element in the actual iron may have gone. You can buy just the iron without the base station.

Cheers

Paul

simond

Western Thunderer
Sounds like the base station isn’t trying to heat up, which suggests it thinks it’s hot enough. If it’s got a DIN plug, presumably it has a temperature sensor and an element, and checking these with a multimeter might help diagnosis.

Particularly if you can heat the tip with another iron, that will definitely confirm the temperature sensor output and connection.

DavidB

Western Thunderer
Try contacting Antex. I know someone who did this and got his iron replaced with a more up to date one for nothing. He lives not far from the business, but the point is that Antex were very helpful. It is worth asking them. Links and contact details are in the post above.

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Sounds like the base station isn’t trying to heat up, which suggests it thinks it’s hot enough. If it’s got a DIN plug, presumably it has a temperature sensor and an element, and checking these with a multimeter might help diagnosis.

Particularly if you can heat the tip with another iron, that will definitely confirm the temperature sensor output and connection.
Thanks everyone who has made suggestions, much appreciated.

I will certainly contact Antex and see what they say.

Simon’s suggestion may be beyond my skill level. I marvel at what some people know about electrics, sadly most of it goes over my head. But I have got an elderly Post Office multimeter collecting dust, so if you were to tell me what to do, basically where to stick the probes, I might get a result, and that information would help the Antex people. I’m now using an old Weller 25 iron so I can continue soldering.
Thanks again.

Cheers
Tony

simond

Western Thunderer
Tony,

without firsthand knowledge of the connectors, (which I don’t have) and confidence (which you don’t have) I think it would be ambitious to try to diagnose at a distance!

I doubt there’s any risk, but there’s a lot of sense in the adage “if you don’t know what you’re doing, leave it alone” when it come to electrikery.

hopefully Antex will offer a useful solution.

HNY!
Simon

Thanks everyone who has made suggestions, much appreciated.

I will certainly contact Antex and see what they say.

Simon’s suggestion may be beyond my skill level. I marvel at what some people know about electrics, sadly most of it goes over my head. But I have got an elderly Post Office multimeter collecting dust, so if you were to tell me what to do, basically where to stick the probes, I might get a result, and that information would help the Antex people. I’m now using an old Weller 25 iron so I can continue soldering.
Thanks again.

Cheers
Tony
Hello Tony,
I agree about contacting Antex. Your old post office multimeter may now be worth more than it cost new . I've been told they're collectable now.
ATB Owen

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Yes, come Monday I'll contact Antex. These things have a life and they do pack up, nothing lasts for ever. Thanks again every one.

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
I've been in touch with Antex and they replied almost by return, offering to sell me a new iron on 'sale or return' to see first if that fixes the problem, which I'm doing. They had offered to look at the soldering station for free, but lets see if the new iron sorts things out first. Very nice of them to offer all this. They get a thumbs up from me for good service.