AK Weathering pencils

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Dave,

Some guidance, how would you tackle this?

This is DFS ELNA#4 and I want to replicate this image of a well cared for loco in everyday use.....I cannot lie, it fills me with trepidation.

Tim

hYVY6URyZrm2TOs1xwG8NTZGuzZhxPirRi-9BNarM_oB4=s800.jpg

Scubaidh Dubh

Dave,

Some guidance, how would you tackle this?

This is DFS ELNA#4 and I want to replicate this image of a well cared for loco in everyday use.....I cannot lie, it fills me with trepidation.

Tim

Definitely a case of less is more here but you'll notice in spite of the clean finish, there's clearly a duller sheen (to be expected) around the smokebox and can roof.
It's probably best I do a kind of show and tell with something similar out of my own collection so stay tuned.

Davy

Scubaidh Dubh

IMG_20240710_095621.jpg
My next experiment took place using a trio of Accurascale 21 tonners. I've taken a couple of weeks over these to get to a state where I was happy; filters, washes and dry brushing have all been employed alongside the pencils and I find careful use of the pencils can also produce a slightly layered appearance on rust patches. I'm still developing that.
I'm happy with the look obtained here though; well used and a bit knocked about but not the level of scabbiness they subsequently obtained in the 1970s.

Davy.

paulc

Western Thunderer
View attachment 219252
My next experiment took place using a trio of Accurascale 21 tonners. I've taken a couple of weeks over these to get to a state where I was happy; filters, washes and dry brushing have all been employed alongside the pencils and I find careful use of the pencils can also produce a slightly layered appearance on rust patches. I'm still developing that.
I'm happy with the look obtained here though; well used and a bit knocked about but not the level of scabbiness they subsequently obtained in the 1970s.

Davy.
I tried these pencils Davy and couldn't get on with them, whats your secret?

steve50

Western Thunderer
Some fine weathering there! If adding multiple layers, do you protect each layer with a coat of varnish?
Nice profile pic by the way! Impressed that he's off lead, could never let our donut off! :)

Scubaidh Dubh

Some fine weathering there! If adding multiple layers, do you protect each layer with a coat of varnish?
Nice profile pic by the way! Impressed that he's off lead, could never let our donut off! :)
To be fair, it helps to seal it in with varnish, but do the gunmetal afterwards so you don't lose the effect. You can always redo it from time to time if it wears off.

Davy