"AI" Art - still work in progress.

Western Thunderer
It specifically asked for the Flying Scotsman loco, I’m guessing because that was the single example the artist could name.
Very interesting, I have messed around with Photoshop AI and found that with careful input terminology you can get something out quite useful.

I note the yellow platform line made it back to the 19C.

I can't see a Flying Scotsman in that shot, no kilts to be seen. But the loco is green and appears to have a copper capped chimney, obviously AL(an) likes the GWR.
Tony

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I almost posted this in just for a laugh because it was rather amusing to me.

The emergence of "AI" generated art seems to be improving all the time however every now and again you see something to make you think that maybe it's not quite got there. Today on BlueSky the following AI generated image popped up and the artist was looking for feedback so I obliged.

The AI request was for a Victorian Lady waiting for a train plus a few other details on how to construct the scene, the challenge is what "loco" do you think was requested? Not even going to guess for the coaching stock!

p.s. Not interested in any lewd comments - just concentrate on the loco please.

View attachment 221723

Needless to say it still has a fair way to go before the AI art can challenge established artists.

This is supposed to be the Flying Scotsman! :)) :)) :))
Well I reckon AI will be the worst and possibly the most dangerous thing invented by the human race but AI or not I'd ask her out :D

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
This is all highly amusing at the moment, mainly because we are still able to identify it for what it is.

Artists always, (or most?) use their imaginations, but as their efforts are the work of their own ability, and of their hands, the finished articles should, by their very nature, always be recognisable by any onlooker as a potentially flawed product.

Manipulated photography (unless it is deliberately unrealistic or made for humour) cannot.

Many might be forgiven for thinking that CGI - in whatever form - is simply a "modern development" of traditional tools, and something that is a perfectly legitimate advance on pencils or paint on paper and canvas. I fear that it is not however.

I spent many years professionally producing illustrations for architects, and all the time was well aware of their desire to "big-up" or "prettify" their latest project - for either securing planning consent and or, selling on to a potential customer. It was also entirely my own responsibility to convince my clients that I was capable enough of achieving what they wanted. While I do admit to being a bitter and twisted soul, I am not in any way jealous of the new technologies that have stolen genuine craftsmanship away... I do not personally care as such, as I never enjoyed doing that job anyway! What still really irks my admittedly muddled brain is the continued use of the term "artist's impression"! A software algorithm may be a very clever bit of programming, but how dare they call it art - when no living artist has been involved in any part of the process?!

Believe me, I have tried to consider all the issues, but cannot help coming to the conclusion that our desire for, and headlong drive towards AI is like succumbing to the "call of sirens"!

Ok, so that is not such a good analogy, as mermaids don't actually exist... whereas, this particular threat to our ultimate survival does!

Pete.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
What still really irks my admittedly muddled brain is the continued use of the term "artist's impression"!
I expect, the person responsible for providing the computer-generated image will have chosen the viewpoint and the location of the light source? So perhaps, "artistic impression" would be better. This will convey the message and be easier to digest than "computer render, not a photograph".

The phrase still looks belittling to the skilled artist; I hope better terminology will evolve as we need it.

Last edited:

Western Thunderer
@Peter Insole I too also work in the applied arts and went to art college. Apparently all of us applied artists will be out of a job because you'll be able to dial up AI(an) to design your x, y and z.

It reminds me a little of a parents evening when studying graphic design. A prospective student's parent asks, "so haven't you just got a book with ketchup label designs in that you can choose from?"

Maybe that day has come, maybe not, AI(an) Adobe is also here and making big claims to help designers get work done faster. But if you don't know your typography rules, do you just assume AI will get it right without you knowing anything about typography?

Maybe one day it will know.

Tony

simond

Western Thunderer
The advances in Computer Aided ”X” through my career are staggering, but then I think of my dear Great Aunt Annie, who was ever so sweet. She was born in 1898, before the Wright brothers flew, but lived to see Armstrong on the moon, and to fly transatlantic on a Jumbo.

Once AI starts being routinely able to tell fact from fiction, it’ll make such dramatic progress that we’ll wonder what hit us.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Once AI starts being routinely able to tell fact from fiction, it’ll make such dramatic progress that we’ll wonder what hit us.
For AI to do as you suggests then that implies that humans are able to make such discrimination accurately, repeatedly and without bias. Can we?

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
AI generating 'art' and 'literature' is perhaps just a bit of fun. I reckon its major contribution will be in the world of science, engineering, medicine etc.
Remember when mainframe computers appeared and we never dreamt they would lead to personal computing. Look where we are now and without it no Western Thunder.
Yes there will be downsides to AI as there are to electronic communication systems but we haven't all given up on them.

Forever an optimist

Tim

DougT

Western Thunderer
I saw a marvellous piece of AI the other day which was a social media post by one of these ‘historia’ pages on FB, which purported to be a ‘which is best’ piece comparing warships. Unfortunately, due to both the limitations of AI and clearly the ignorance of the person posing the question, what was posted was a treatise on the relative merits of a Royal Naval frigate (I forget which) and the British Rail Class 42. Amusingly the post was also illustrated with a picture of a class 22, which by a short stretch, I can see how the AI got there. For me it illustrated one of the fundamental issues with AI which is users being unable to distinguish a coherent response from a bobbins response, an indictment maybe that many who would use AI would do so so that they can switch their brains off just a little bit more. It is said that ignorance is bliss.