"AI" Art - still work in progress.

adrian

Flying Squad
I almost posted this in just for a laugh because it was rather amusing to me.

The emergence of "AI" generated art seems to be improving all the time however every now and again you see something to make you think that maybe it's not quite got there. Today on BlueSky the following AI generated image popped up and the artist was looking for feedback so I obliged.

The AI request was for a Victorian Lady waiting for a train plus a few other details on how to construct the scene, the challenge is what "loco" do you think was requested? Not even going to guess for the coaching stock!

p.s. Not interested in any lewd comments - just concentrate on the loco please.

jeans - 1 (1).jpeg

Needless to say it still has a fair way to go before the AI art can challenge established artists.

This is supposed to be the Flying Scotsman! :)) :)) :))

DougT

Western Thunderer
If it is meant to be a Victorian Lady why specify a non-Victorian train? And why does the woman sat on the chair look like she’s wearing a suit from Next, or is there a chap in what looks like a flying jacket/denim combo?

AI has a long way to go, as do those who use it…

adrian

Flying Squad
If it is meant to be a Victorian Lady why specify a non-Victorian train? And why does the woman sat on the chair look like she’s wearing a suit from Next, or is there a chap in what looks like a flying jacket/denim combo?

AI has a long way to go, as do those who use it…
I suspect the foreground part was built from a real photo and the AI component is limited to the suitcases and background.

Plus the fact it was put forward just as an artistic impression designed to evoke a feeling. Unfortunately the proportions of the loco just made me wince.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
To answer the question of what locomotive was requested:
It looks to me from the geometry of the front end (low ride height, steampipe shape) that this is a creation of The Railway Series by Rev. Awdry - although the buffers (not a lewd comment) are not the right shape for his express engines e.g. Gordon, James.
But certainly looks like one of his classic British outline engines has been slightly Venice-Simplonified ?

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I suspect the foreground part was built from a real photo
Nothing Victorian about the dress or shoes.

Furthermore, the AI machine seems to have the context of the composition completely wrong. The machine has failed to give the woman a chaperone or even a seat. Her hair would never be let down in Victorian public society nor would she be wearing eye shadow. She is not "waiting for a train" but posing for a portrait.

I dread this AI stuff and I'm very glad I can still identify it.

simond

Western Thunderer
Furthermore, the lady would have great difficulty standing with her legs crossed, like that.
Something very odd about her stance. You need one straight-ish leg!

The coaches are reminiscent of the Hornby tinplate 0 gauge. Almost as long as they’re wide.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
:))

and two heads…. when I zoom in, I see it has a cap, somewhere above its tail too…

I did wonder, I just didn’t look!

Furthermore, the lady would have great difficulty standing with her legs crossed, like that.
Something very odd about her stance. You need one straight-ish leg!

Simon, we have had problems with legs before. The woman has two legs (correct), they are not crossed, and the straight leg here is at the back.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
But they’re both left legs! :))

At least she's got the right number of fingers on her left hand. Her right hand, though. :confused:

Both feet are left feet. Should have noticed that.

Trying to add some value - in "Get Carter" (Michael Caine, has railway content at the beginning) look for the extra drinking a beer in the Newcastle pub. He has five fingers on his hand.

Paul_H

The complication here is;
The AI request was for a Victorian Lady waiting for a train plus a few other details on how to construct the scene
Without the detail of what was requested we can't really know how good or bad this generation is.
Eg Did it specify the picture should have been from Victorian times ? or just a "Victorian lady" ? so could interpreted as just Victorian style dress, not necessarily set in Victorian times.
Regardless of that it still looks wrong, there's lot for AI to learn.

It doesn't help when ever basic text enquiries are answered incorrectly. I tried using ChatGPT to research the Vulcan Foundry locos;
How many Vulcan foundry locos were built for north wales slate quarries and what were they called ?
ChatGPT
The Vulcan Foundry built a series of locomotives specifically for the North Wales slate quarries, primarily for the Dinorwic and Penrhyn quarries. Here are the details:

Dinorwic Quarry Locomotives:

1. "Dinorwic" - Built in 1848
  2. "Lady Madeline" - Built in 1882

Penrhyn Quarry Locomotives:

1. "Charles" - Built in 1882
  2. "Blanche" - Built in 1893
  3. "Linda" - Built in 1893

Characteristics:

• These locomotives were typically narrow gauge, reflecting the constraints of the quarry tracks.
  • They were used for hauling slate and other materials within the quarry sites and to nearby points for further transport.
The Vulcan Foundry was renowned for producing robust locomotives capable of handling the demanding conditions of the slate quarries.

For those less au fait with N Wales narrow gauge all those locos were (famously in NG circles) built by Hunslet.

Western Thunderer
Not sure why you would expect AI to get it right, there's plenty of human artists that don't get it right either. That used to be called artistic licence and long may that continue.

As for Victorian, it's a very UK centric term, 19C is the museum and gallery term. It's possible those from the Australian state of Victoria would claim to be Victorian ladies even now.
Tony

timbowales

Western Thunderer
Not sure why you would expect AI to get it right, there's plenty of human artists that don't get it right either. That used to be called artistic licence and long may that continue.

As for Victorian, it's a very UK centric term, 19C is the museum and gallery term. It's possible those from the Australian state of Victoria would claim to be Victorian ladies even now.
Tony
I suppose the computing acronym GIGO is especially appropriate with AI. If it learns rubbish it will give forth rubbish.

Western Thunderer
I suppose the computing acronym GIGO is especially appropriate with AI. If it learns rubbish it will give forth rubbish.
Well, as I understand it, AI(an) is scouring the whole freely accessible internet for information and putting together something that it has gathered from all these sources, so it will never be a particular type because it's sources are so wide ranging, therefore giving us a 'general' broad brush type image.

If the person creating the image asked for a Black Five 4-6-0 in Manchester Victoria (yes, the 19C one) you might actually get something you recognise. Simply asking for a train in a station is too general an input term, so general is the output result.

What was the input term, do we know?

It does look like a train in station. We recognise it as such, so it is a successful job.

AI(an) isn't necessarily friends with human rivet counters. To be honest, I'm not always friends with them either.
Tony