A West Midlands Works

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
Perhaps its a bit late but the excellent Mr MOK somehow omitted the series of vent holes on the bunker bulkhead.I think Tony drilled them out when 80016,the loco he built for me,was also part assembled....Always an extra pleasure viewing "Southern" stock .... good luck with 80015............Regards etc BW

P A D

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger,
I would second Tony's comments regarding the joints at the lower edges of the tanks. It's particularly important if you are hand lining with a spring bow pen, offsetting the lines from the bottom of the tanks. A groove or ridge will prevent the pen from producing a consistent straight line. This pearl of wisdom is courtesy of Warren Hayward who has painted a few of these.

Lovely build by the way.

Cheers,
Peter

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Thanks 2-Bil for mentioning the vent holes. I had realised they were missing but only long after the basic bunker had been built up. Dave Sharp has revised the etch for later kits and is sending me a print of the revised bunker bulkhead from which I will be able to drill the missing holes.
Cheers
Roger

P A D

Western Thunderer
2-Bill's comment has just sent me scurrying through my build images to check the rear cab on my 80 thou. I think Tony Geary gave me the heads up on the holes as I added them to mine. Panic over.
20180605_201824.jpg

It's nice the way fellow modellers (including the pro builders and painters) are willing to give you tips and comments, to achieve better results with your build.

Cheers,
Peter

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Hi Peter,

Way back in 2014 when I started this thread I wrote "I am fortunate to be mentored and encouraged to do better by a number of very fine loco builders. If I have a problem they can always solve it by suggesting I do this or that but leave me to resolve the issue and learn. How refreshing compared with some modellers who know how to solve the problem but won't tell you because.....!"

I'm still learning and with the support of many Thunderers I might be getting better. Thank you all.

Roger

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Just a few photos today showing the first tank side in position.
Tanks 6 080321.jpg
The join between the lost wax castings and the tank etch has to be perfect and currently this is work in progress with two small areas defying the use of wet and dry to get a smooth finish. The lost wax castings for the bottom of the tanks required minimal filing to get them to sit within the frames for the tanks. My castings were very slightly short and the gaps between them have been filled with solder.
Tanks 9 080321.jpg
The boiler and firebox have just been put in place to make sure everything fits. The boiler underside has yet to be fully “dressed”, well that’s my excuse.

Every now and then Dave Sharp omits to tell the builder to install this etch here and that etch there and so it was with the draft screens in the cab. I think he does this deliberately to make sure we are awake. These screens have to go in place before the tank side outer skin can be put in place. Maybe they could go in later but it would be very difficult. I assure fellow modellers the fireman's side screen is at 90° to the inner cabside; it sits in an etched slot!
Tanks 10 080321.jpg
Tomorrow the other tank side will be fitted and maybe the inner walls and part of the cab floor.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Since my last posting there has been quite some developments in the “Works”. I decided the part completed locos had to be finished and moved off the bench. I allocated a week each to complete the U and the Merchant Navy. The U presented little in the way of challenges, the frames were sprayed then everything reinstalled and the valve gear built up. All was well and here is a photo of the loco just prior to go into the box waiting paint.
Loco 12 160321.JPG

The Merchant Navy was never going to be as fast and eventually it took two weeks to complete. I thought the loco was almost finished but on taking a closer look I could see quite a lot needed finishing off. The tender required the rear steps building, a job I heartily dislike doing, plus a few odd jobs.
Tender ladders 1 220321.jpg
On the engine all the outstanding work was concentrated on the frames. Once they had been sprayed and wheels reinstated installation of the valve gear commenced. The castings required little in the way of fettling although I do find the material used is quite “pliable”.

Any pacific presents problems but the brake pull rods on a Bulleid make life doubly difficult. To give adequate clearance the inside rods are soldered onto the springs, you’d never know with the wheels in place. The outer rods have been bushed outwards using tiny etches provided in the kit. The other problem is setting up the brake blocks. With everything seemingly in place testing of the frames commenced and the only issue arose with the bogie shorting out.

As mentioned previously this was a part built loco I had bought at a Guild show. Unfortunately, the previous builder had opened up the bogie pin mount allowing a lot of slop to develop. Why??? Anyway, I have shimmed the pin and got rid of most of the unwanted fore/aft movement. There is very occasional shorting which I’ll have to resolve once the loco can be run on a layout instead of my test track. This problem never arose with the other MOK Merchant I built but that’s probably down to luck. Here is the loco just before it too went into its box.
Loco 10 150421.JPG
So what of other builds? Well, the Fowler 2-6-2t is ready for the paint shop. The frames were built by Dan Haines and thoroughly tested. With the model back on the bench final detailing was completed and this loco is also in a box waiting paint.
Loco 25 160421.JPG
The basket case U class mogul I took on last year to rebuild has just been returned from Ian Rathbone and looks a million dollars. Considering the awful state of the original build I am very pleased with the result. It is not to the standard of my U shown above but it can now hold its head up high. Very little needs to be done to complete this challenge, the boiler backplate to fit, a front coupling to install and coal in the tender. The loco will get a big load of coal to mask some of the butchering done by the first builder!!!!!
Loco 9 150421 (3).JPG
The loco will shortly be off to its new home once the present Covid restrictions are eased again.

With all this work completed the only loco on my bench is the MOK Standard tank which has reached this stage, note the chimney, dome and smokebox door are only in place for effect!!!!
Loco 7 180421.JPG
Blending in the side tanks is ongoing. I took council from Ian Rathbone regarding filling the inevitable joints and he recommended using a Halfords filler. At my local store they recommended using Impa Finissage, an Italian ultra-fine filler and first results on the drivers side tank are positive.

The bunker has been detailed and now only requires lamp irons. Before the boiler and firebox were installed the tank tops were detailed. 80015 was fitted with water softening from new and Ragstone have a fine casting for the 9F and Britannia which will do nicely, so a call will shortly be made to buy one. With the boiler and firebox in place the tank straps were added. Prior to soldering the front framing to the smokebox the lubricators along with their pipework were added. With a complete body the steampipe covers were installed.

Under the tanks the balance pipes were added followed by the rear supports for the tanks. I am unhappy with this aspect of the build as there is are considerable gaps between the tank supports and the balance pipe castings.
IMG_1750.JPG
This photo of 80079 shows there are spaces between the three fittings but I can’t live with the gaps I have so they will have to be addressed before going any further with this area.

Work will continue with detailing the manifold adding pipework and the steam heat valve. On the smokebox the ejector and blower have to be added as well as the dome, chimney and smokebox door. Lots to do before returning to the frames.

Once the Standard Tank is nearing completion I will start work on a Taff Vale Models Cambrian 2-4-0 to be followed by A Finney7 West Country. The Lord Nelson is still on ice.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
As the Standard Tank build has reached the detailing stage I have started work on my next commission, a Taff Vale Models Cambrian 2-4-0. The etches are nickel silver and on opening them up I am most impressed. This is a prototype I know absolutely nothing about but thankfully a good friend is into these very old pre-grouping locos and he is answering all my questions as they arise.

Construction started with the tender and the frames were built up on the chassis jig to ensure they are square.
Tender Frames 1 300421.jpg
The brake hangers and their blocks are fine etches which require laminating together. Setting up the brakes was the usual spaghetti problem of everything wanting to go in its own direction but once all was in the correct orientation a robust unit was the result.
Tender brakes 1 010521.jpg
A start was then made on construction of the tender body and by last night had reached this stage.
Tender Body 1 300421.jpg
This photo shows the construction to support the coal space and below the unit mounted on the frames
Tender Body 2 300421.jpg
At this stage I noted the holes for the rear bolt hole was in the incorrect position but this was easily resolved.

The actual tender body and its “platform” are half etches and require careful handling to avoid any distortion. I am following the build instructions and they make no mention that the platform etch must go in place before the coal space unit is installed. Consequently, this was removed and everything cleaned up:rant:, the platform etch put in place and it was then held firmly in place by the coal space unit prior to soldering up.

The flare on the top of the body was formed using a 6mm rod. With them formed I started building the tank with the rear etch first ensuring there was an equal amount of etch overlapping each side. With this tack soldered in place the first side etch was tried in place and the flare slightly adjusted to match that on the rear panel. Once satisfied all was fine the side was soldered up from the inside then the same process was used for the other side. A further set of three overlays were then soldered onto the outside of the tank
Tender Body 4 010521.jpg

Construction has now reached this stage.
Tender 1 010521.jpg

Tender 3 010521.jpg
Now to give the body a bath.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Detailing the tender has been straightforward and is now complete.
Tender 6 030521.jpg

Tender 7 030521.jpg
The task for today has been to build the engine frames,
Frames 2 040521.jpg
The wheels were then prepared and considering this little loco had very small crankpins I decided to use the standard Slaters fittings. The bolts were countersunk into the wheels and glued in place using Araldite. With the wheels installed a problem was easily identified:
Frames 3 040521.jpg
The leading axle was about 2mm too high. A quick check with the build instructions showed the correct wheel size had been fitted. So to remedy this, I cut out the bearings long the half etch lines shown in the previous photo. I then strengthened the frames at their lowest point with scrap etch. To ensure the bearings would line up properly I also soldered some scrap etch above the bearings. With the axle and wheels reinstated the errant bearings were first slotted in place and then soldered into the correct position, 2mm lower. To ensure everything was level the frame was tested on glass.
Frames 6 040521.jpg
With this unnecessary diversion out of the way the brake gear and dummy inside motion was fitted.
Frames 5 040521.jpg
Construction of the engine body will start in the next few days.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Construction of the Cambrian 2-4-0 is progressing but not as fast as I’d hoped, decorating; need I say more.

Building up of the running plate and cab was straightforward. Having learned my lesson from the tender the beautiful half etched overlay for the running plate was neatly trapped under the cab sides and then soldered in place! This photo shows the running plate with a trial fit of the boiler
Boiler 8 170521.jpg
The various components for the boiler having been constructed I needed assistance from Julian at Taff Vale Models regarding it and the pony wheels referred to earlier. It transpires a typo on the build instructions lead my customer to buy the incorrect wheels. Julian very kindly supplied the correct wheels free of charge. For reference in case anyone else has these instructions the pony wheels are Slater’s 7842.

When I came to install the boiler I found the firebox was much too high. My mistake, had I read the instructions it told me to ignore the hole in the inner firebox etch as it was too low! The nicely etched trim on the front of the cab determines the height of the firebox, thanks Julian for the guidance.
Firebox trim.JPG
With this in place the boiler fitted neatly in place. A hefty brass casting is provided for the front of the firebox which required some work to get it to sit neatly. I decided to put it on the boiler, then inserted the boiler into the firebox and finally bolted the smokebox to the running plate. This levelled up the boiler which was tack soldered in place. The large casting was then positioned correctly in place and finally soldered up. At the smokebox there is also a brass casting onto the boiler. I found the diameter slightly too tight so cut it and soldered it in place with a very slight gap on the underside. Fortunately there is a second ring in the kit which I will use as an infill.
Engine 2 180521.JPG
This little engine has now reached this stage.
Loco 2 180521.JPG
and
Loco 3 180521.JPG
The boiler fittings are only put in place for effect! Quite a bit of work still to do but it is slowly taking shape.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
It has been weeks since I last reported on progress and quite a lot of water has passed under my bridge, so to speak.

The little Class 55 Cambrian Railways 2-4-0 is finished and is now away for painting by Ian Rathbone. These photos show the finished loco and I can honestly say it was a pleasure to build.
Loco 4 230521.JPG
Loco 5 230521.JPG
The only trial came with accommodating the motor and gearbox. A fold-up gearbox and motor was obtained from Taff Vale Models. A slightly larger motor was provided but I was assured by Julian that it would fit as he had just installed one in a similar model he was building. Well it was the tightest fit I have ever had to deal with. Inevitably a lot of grinding was necessary to get the motor to sit within the tiny firebox and rear of the boiler. Trial running was satisfactory but I think the boiler might act as a “sounding box”, there being absolutely no room for any soundproofing and no need for any motor restraining strap.

In an earlier posting I recorded that work on the Lord Nelson had stalled as the mainframe etches were missing. It took Ace Products about 15 weeks to be able to supply a full set of etches. I hasten to add this is no reflection on Ace Products, other kit suppliers have told me they have experienced similar delays all due to the pandemic.

In view of how long my client had been waiting for this model I decided to give it top priority and it has fully occupied me for the last eight weeks. A start was made building the frames with the aim of having them basically built but not fully detailed to allow a start to be made on building the engine body
Frames 6 040621.JPG
and under test
Frames 5 030621.JPG
Before starting the engine body, I decided to complete the tender. A host of castings had to be fitted but once completed a handsome model resulted. The brake gear is particularly complicated but with patience and reference to my earlier build of 30856 all was well.
Tender 6 150621.JPG
Tender 7 150621.JPG
Building the engine body was relatively straightforward although the cab framework was very prone to damage. I decided as a matter of urgency to build up the cab which is a series of half etches to avoid distorting the frame although one joint did fracture while doing so. The main etches for the boiler, smokebox and firebox had been preformed and generally were OK. The front of the firebox is a huge brass casting and despite being warned to modify the bottom of it I forgot. I should have reviewed my own post of the build of 30586! When I tried to put the frames in place the casting fouled the middle set of drivers. A lot of grinding resulted before everything went into place.

A minor problem arose with the boiler etch. The holes for the handrail knobs are etched in place and while on the drivers side they line up perfectly with those in the firebox and smokebox, the fireman’s side were too low and had to be re-drilled about 1.5mm higher. The original holes were filled, filed down and finished off with 1000 grade wet and dry. Fitting the brake gear to the tender had been difficult but proved to be a piece of cake when it came to installing same on the engine. A lot of patience and a fair bit of basic Anglo Saxon was resorted to.

The build has now reached this stage
Loco 2 290621.JPG
Loco 3 290621.JPG
The frames are almost fully detailed and once finished will be stripped down and sprayed. This will enable the final detailing to be added to the engine body and the valve gear, motor and pick-ups to be fitted.

I never cease the be impressed by these locomotives, regretfully I only saw a few in service.

Hopefully work will resume on the Standard Tank in the next few weeks.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
A lovely build, Roger. I've been looking for some of my photos of LNs for you and can't find them. Sorry!

I take it that, although from Ace this kit was mastered by someone else? Were the castings good for use? I have so many kits in my stash waiting for me to start them I'll probably never get to a LN but I don't 'arf fancy one.

Brian

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian,
The kit is a Sans Pareil article and was designed by Dave Sharps first kit before he started MOK. It is now marketed by Ace Products as one of their specials range.
The castings are OK but compared with today's products they are very chunky. However, once they are in place they look good as my own model of 30586 shows.
Paint 3a 070216.jpeg
The brake hangers and stretchers are probably the poorest of the castings but I have not been able to find suitable replacements. They have been considerably thinned down, look OK in profile but do not bear close inspection.
Cheers
Roger

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Very nice looking models Roger, both finished and under construction.
What a strange arrangement of the loco brakes - front wheels with blocks ahead and the others behind. I wonder what the engineering reason was behind that?
Dave.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
A quick update. The little Cambrian 2-4-0 has been painted beautifully by Ian Rathbone who has sent me this photo
Final 1 190721.jpeg
Magnificent work as usual.

The Lord Nelson is almost ready to go away for painting and here is a photo of it on test.
Frames 14 190721.JPG
A number of fittings will be installed after painting.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Doesn’t time fly when you are loco building! It has been months since I reported on progress with the MOK Standard Tank. In the interim an SR U, Cambrian 2-4-0, Lord Nelson and an LNWR Precursor have been completed. This is the LN painted by Paul Moore
Final 1.jpg
And the Precursor, painted by me!
IMG_3861.JPG

My workbench is now clear and the only loco there is the Standard Tank. From the start of the build I had wanted to build 80011 but Severn Mill Nameplates do not have this number in their vast collection. Fortunately, 247 Models have produced a very fine number plate to complement the other plates so 80011 it will be. The model has slowly but surely been detailed and has reached this stage
Loco 13 070921.JPG

Loco 14 070921.JPG
The outstanding work on the body is to fit the cab windows and roof and to solder in place the 3 lamp irons on the front and to straighten the upper one on the smokebox door! The frames have been test run and are now at the stage where I can spray them and then install the valve gear and pick-ups.

The boiler backhead has taken a lot of time to complete but the effort put into it has been worth it in my opinion.
Backhead 2 070921.JPG
I have used 80079 as my guide. The photos of 80002 in the MOK build instructions show a number of differences which may be ScR modifications or K&WVR alterations. According to Ted Talbot the cab layout of 80079 is accurate although even the SVR has changed the position of the duplex valve. This valve lived in a pocket in the left-hand tank with control rods extended into the cab. It must have been a nightmare for fitters to repack, hence why the SVR and maybe the ScR moved it. These photos show the backhead almost complete and in place.
Backhead 3 070921.JPG
Can't wait to get my hands on the MOK Standard 4 4-6-0!

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger,

the effort that you have put into this loco, especially the backhead shows just what a talented builder you are.

regards

Mike