A small yard for a micro-layout

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
This image is rather interesting, just three sidings on a curve in a very tight space, what could go wrong?

Left_Curved.jpg

Whilst waiting to build the layout, time has been not wasted, a few more bits for the yard have passed across the workbench.

Once, the Opel, was someone's pride and joy.

Scrap_Pile1_800.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,

The tiny Inglenook will continue as long as possible. Currently the board and track are being put together and will be progressed as soon as they return BUT in the meantime, little details are keeping me busy. At the moment, I am looking for an example of storage shed to model……unfortunately images of older salvage yards tend to be in short supply.

Tim

Simon H

Were grounded (railway) van bodies used in Germany in the same way as they are in the UK, Tim? Perhaps a further use for an older model...
Simon.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Simon,

Not really, the most common recycled structure in Bayern was the exUS Army Quonset.

1722546703291.jpeg

Rail vehicles
There are just three steel opens for layout, all post '70s, one is a Czech open. The weathering is all Ammo trackside wash but MIG pigments make an appearance around the axleboxes and underframe. All are modern Piko, not an intentional choice but all oddly appropriate more importantly, nothing seems to fall off.

Pi54141.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

20240528_Kof1_800.jpg

The only item of motive power is a Roco Kof3 chosen as it was small, cheap and realiable, the prototype was classed as a 'shunter's machine' that did not need a second man.

Tim

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Were grounded (railway) van bodies used in Germany in the same way as they are in the UK, Tim? Perhaps a further use for an older model...
Simon.

A bit like Tim in some way, I don't ever recall seeing a grounded van body during my travels in Germany (or Switzerland for that matter). I do know the occasional coach body (or Triebwagen body) were grounded by the DR for use as a mess/canteens. Lokwerkstatt Zittau-Pethau is an example. Lokwerkstatt Pethau | Bahnbetrieswerk Zittau

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The board is ready to be disfigured by my attempt to build another scrapyard, it is both longer (just) but double the width of the original main board. The 'gubbins' is an example of minimalism, both power sources are wall-warts, this keeps the weight down for lifting/shifting and easy to replace, the Multimaus CPU is held in place by Royal Mail rubber-bands. The green covering is sound-deadening board for flooring from B&Q.

Now, I have the problem of filling the extra space, not a problem on the far side of the track but a bit of a head scratcher on the left, in the front. Maybe something from Cornerstone, a suitable '50s concrete industrial adapted to fit in the triangular space?

20240715_board3_800.jpg
20240715_board2_800.jpg

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
“Tidy.

Watch those rubber bands. They have a habit of perishing remarkably quickly.”

Agreed, hence an almost endless supply from the friendly postie.

Tim

JimG

Western Thunderer
Tidy.

Watch those rubber bands. They have a habit of perishing remarkably quickly.
Use small zip ties instead and daisy-chain them until you get the length required. You can adjust them up quite tightly to hold parts quite firmly. You have to cut the daisy chain to remove any part, and use a new tie to replace, but they are cheap enough.

Jim.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Just tried full power test with all the electrical ‘gubbins’ installed, this has to be delayed whilst I obtained a 2-pin adaptor as all the devices ‘continental’ standard including the 10m extension.

To my amazement, everything worked as advertised, the wall-warts easily coped with the minuscule loads but I must buy a 2-pin plug so that I can connect the Chinese LED anglepoise to the extension.

Both locos are now uploaded in the memory of the Multimaus, needless to add that one is far easier to control than t’other, ironically it is the V36 0-6-0 that crawls.

Rather than a permanently attached backscene, a three-piece fold-flat foamboard arrangement, held in place by bulldog clips is planned. Everything is planned for lightweight, hence a Grainge and Holder board, most bits are detachable so that there is no major heavyweight lump. No legs, just two Really Useful boxes that carry the stock etc. and when we get to the venue they are emptied and inverted on the table, covered in the modesty cloth and the layout simply plonked on top. Should be ready for exhibiting in November as all the buildings etc. are ready for use…….

Tim

1721303925319.jpeg

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,

The micro-diorama is most definitely designed for public consumption with just four wagons and loco, hands-free shunting must be 99% reliable, consequently I chose the Kadee coupling system once more as it has always functioned without issue on previous small layouts. The first task was to choose a reliable uncoupler.

The Kadee 322

Designed for Code83 rail, the sleepers must be cut for Code 75, despite its intrusive appearance, it works perfectly. A piece of McDonald's coffee stir stick under the 322 perfectly raises it to optimum height.

KD322_800.jpg

Ugly but reliable

KDtriple_800.jpg

The alternative is the Kadee 241 tool

Simple, needs a very steady hand but it is what it is, also try a bamboo meat skewer and the end shrp with a pencil sharpener.

KD241B.jpg

Fitting Kadees

Please visit here first:-
Steph Dale's excellent guide to Kadee couplings

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I use the larger under track magnets and work out their locations during the layout build. I prefer these as it allows you to locate them on a slight curve.

I've also noticed the new Kadee NEM couplers use a plastic spring (oart of the moulding) at the knuckle head swivel point and is not a flexible as the original springy wire. Consequently the whole knuckle head does not swing as far as it used to - which was quite useful when the magnet was located on a slight curve.

As most of my freight stock has been acquired secondhand I replace the NEM couplers with Kadee 140 series underset medium (147) or long (146) shank whisker couplers depending on the vehicle (I'd love to use their scale couplers but they do not make an underset version). I also carefully ream the axleboxes and replace the wheels with Kadee non-magnetic 36'' wheels - which as near as replicates a worn 1m wheel.

Kadee.jpg

Kadee 2.jpg

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
David,

Many thanks, I admit to poor planning, I only had two packs of 322 and the neo-magnets were simply unreliable.

Most of the scenery items once attached to the now abandoned SMS baseboards have been recovered, thankfully mostly intact and will make a welcome re-appearance on the Inglenook. The wooden close-board fence has now survived two bouts of recycling which says a great deal about Wills durability.

IMG_1435.png

Tomorrow, the track will be masked and the baseboard top surface painted with ‘Granit Gris’ matt emulsion, it should both seal and provide the suitable industrial look to the scene.

The Walthers Flour Mill has arrived in a mahoosive box, I think that it will need a certain amount of reduction to stop it over powering the layout but it is suitably ‘30s Art Deco, a contrast with my normal fare of twee rural structures.

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Whoops,

The mighty box from Cornerstone has revealed a plan which I had not noticed…..the flour mill is a tad* too big for the available space…..a mad panic to find something less imposing in the photo albums resulted in the discovery of a greasy spoon that began life as mobile catering van but by the ‘70s was replaced by a larger wooden cafe serving the local workforce and truck drivers.

Pola538_800.jpg

* Tad, in this case it is enormous but it is still sealed and will be welcomed by someone.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
20240729_Track2.jpg

In the past, I used Humbrol #29 dark earth acrylic spray, these are the results, maybe some dry-brushed grey would further enhace the appearance of the sleepers?

IMG_2195_800.jpg

The porous top of the baseboard has been painted with 'Granito Tessino' emulsion to both seal and provide a better colour.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Some progress

The scrapyard now has a recycled perimeter fence which is adjacent to the long siding and gently curves its full length of the baseboard, which is visually rather pleasing.

IMG_2196_800.jpg

IMG_2197_800.jpg

Tomorrow, when the PVA is set, The rest of the fence and 3D printed gates will be installed.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
IMG_1410_800.jpg

Whilst the PVA is setting hard, attention turns to the snack bar just outside the gates. It allegedly began at the same time as Herr Bensohn opened his yard and he has an interest in the lucrative business. The first iteration was an ex-NAAFI trailer that was bought cheaply and refurbished.

IMG_2198_800.jpg

A Matchbox toy was lurking and at 1:85, it is close enough, it was playworn and needed to be reduced to its major (two) components, thoroughly washed, rubbed down and washed again before a dusting of primer. The interior casting is simply superb.

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

Not sure of the final coat, white/blue is locally appropriate but lettering is going to fun. Any suggestions for a source of customer decals would be helpful, btw, I no longer own a printer.

Tim

Last edited: