2mmfs Coombe Junction - Moorswater (an Extract)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I laid a piece of kitchen grease proof paper over the track layout and traced the template of the lines. This was then transferred to card and cut slightly inboard to allow a small gap for filler...

Of course, keeping the track clean will be a challenge...I am thinking a fibre glass stick or some alcohol on a cotton bud?...

Now that trick with grease proof paper is a real neat idea.

Shocking waste of alcohol.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Yes the Hymek is very nice indeed :cool: as is the Warship, with the Dapol 22 & Western on the way, I'm very tempted to have a dabble myself, but this would be an indoor layout (as well as the outdoor 7mm stuff, rather than instead of ;) ) This would be very much a future project though as there is still plenty to keep me busy with Withercombe for the foreseeable future, but having said that, I do like the idea of a quite large N/2mm scale layout within a reasonable space........watching the trains go by along a stretch of Dawlish sea wall springs to mind :):cool:

Cheers Phill :)

I will PM you a pic of a class 22 under the Moorswater viaduct on china clay ;)
Its the only n gauge model I own, and very nice it is. I often tinkered with the idea of doing something in 2mm just as a total change

They look like moving hedgerows to me TOOOO SMALL

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
They look like moving hedgerows to me TOOOO SMALL

I must confess...as I get older...my eyes are struggling more and more. I am going to have a crack in 7mm now (in tandem with the 2FS stuff) to see how I get on.

2mmFS is in my blood...but this 7mm stuff looks very compelling...

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Update - Been having a loss of mojo of recent but there was a bit more progress on the Moorswater board.

The base scenics have been applied using some old scatter to cover the brown undercoat and the next phase will add some static grasses. The road has been picked out in grey but has since had a wash of concrete colour.

A few pics...

MW 5.jpg

MW 4.jpg

MW 2.jpg

MW 1.jpg

Now to try and see where I left my mojo...:D

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
2mmFS is in my blood...but this 7mm stuff looks very compelling...

Now Cynric seems to be able to turn his hand to most things... you could ask him if he has a bit of kit which can perform blood transfusions. Mind you, not sure if you would get regular colour stuff or not, might be BLUE in colour!

regards, Graham

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Mojo's back...but I had to fight for it.

Following painting of the infill track area I decided that I ought to get things running again before the scenics went too far.

Much scraping, sanding, swearing and filing and the trains run again now...thankfully I have a swear box so this accumulates a lot of coins during my model making sessions...and then forms the fund for new railway related purchases ;)

Back again, when there is something of interest to show...

Jon Gwinnett

Western Thunderer
Pete, hope you don't mind me bumping this thread up, but I have an operational query. Where do locos run round before shunting the works? Is it assumed to take place in the works itself? I know there used to be a loop at Coombe Junc halt, but I think that was removed in 81? Very confused ;)

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Pete, hope you don't mind me bumping this thread up, but I have an operational query. Where do locos run round before shunting the works? Is it assumed to take place in the works itself? I know there used to be a loop at Coombe Junc halt, but I think that was removed in 81? Very confused ;)

Hi Jon - Thanks for the bump ;)...I did do some more work on the dries last year so I will update a few pics after.

To answer your question, I believe that no trains ever ran around in the dries themselves, but they use the loop that exists under Moorswater viaduct and then back the wagons in to the works. On my model I will use the dries loop as it would have meant including another board to get the loop beneath the viaduct and at 3.3m long the layout is already too big for our living space.

You are correct about the loop at Coombe Junction but this disappeared after the steam era (can't recal exact date) as the Prairie and B sets were replaced by DMU's and hence no loop was required. The track was then rationalised in 1981 to remove the siding at Coombe Junction...

Hope this helps?

Jon Gwinnett

Western Thunderer
Cheers Pete. Hadn't realised there was a loop at the foot of the viaduct. Have acquired a blue rat with a view to possibly doing the halt and foot of the bank in 4mm in the loft. Seems some more cogitation on how best to incorporate the freight is needed.

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Happy New Year all - Circumstances have changed for me just recently as we have decided to leave Spain this summer and relocate back to the UK, so I have started a new job in London in November and am commuting back to BCN at weekends until we move. Thus, I have much reduced modelling time now, however I did progress things a little more last year on this board namely the structures to the dries area and also made a start on the small collection of huts adjacent (which look a bit like Monopoly houses due to the scale of the dries buildings) so below are a few pictures to bring it up to date - thanks to Jon for the nudge ;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks to Mark (46444) for his Cargowaggon which he has weathered very nicely indeed...

Thanks Pete for posting these images.

I really like the feel of this layout and hopefully you'll have a chance to do some more on it this year once things settle down.

Cheers,

Mark

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
I really like the feel of this layout and hopefully you'll have a chance to do some more on it this year once things settle down.

Thanks Mark - You might have seen these images posted elsewhere ;)

Hope to be back on this sometime in the summer...however I have that new box file layout to crack on with first...might have to start a new thread on that one... :)

Thanks Mark - You might have seen these images posted elsewhere ;)

Surely not! :p Always good to see pictures of CJM though! :D

Hope to be back on this sometime in the summer...however I have that new box file layout to crack on with first...might have to start a new thread on that one... :)[/quote said:
I think that would be a good idea to get a thread going on that new project too ;).

Cheers,

Mark

queensquare

Western Thunderer
I've already seen these pictures elsewhere but am only too pleased to see them again here:) They are looking great Pete, they have a real sense of place and are oozing atmosphere - despite the fact that the layout still has a long way to go.
I'm glad the new job seems to be working out and look forward to your being more settled so you can crack on with this and other projects.

Jerry

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Surely not! :p Always good to see pictures of CJM though! :D

Thanks again Mark...

'MIGHT' ???. ;) MUST :thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks Steve - oh alright then...if you insist ;)...but I will do a bit more progress on it first...

I've already seen these pictures elsewhere but am only too pleased to see them again here:) They are looking great Pete, they have a real sense of place and are oozing atmosphere - despite the fact that the layout still has a long way to go.
I'm glad the new job seems to be working out and look forward to your being more settled so you can crack on with this and other projects.

Many thanks Jerry - really nice of you to say it. Sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed how much there is to do on the layout still...which is why I tried to progress just this board this year...and am pleased with the progress made. Once I have got the new small boxfile layout under control ;) I will be back on CJM...and who knows, now we are coming back to Blighty, it just might get to stretch its legs somewhere...but it will need a bit of work to get it to that stage. How about AGM 2020?...:)

S

SteveO

Really nice Pete! However, I think something very big and very randy has been humping the trees by the look of what it's left behind... :)

Any ideas of where you'll be moving back to?

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Really nice Pete! However, I think something very big and very randy has been humping the trees by the look of what it's left behind... :)
Any ideas of where you'll be moving back to?

LoL

London for sure...but which part depends on the schools for the boys...won't know that for a few months yet.

But my folks and brother still live in Burgess Hill, so a beer in Brighton remains on the cards :)

queensquare

Western Thunderer
LoL

London for sure...but which part depends on the schools for the boys...won't know that for a few months yet.

But my folks and brother still live in Burgess Hill, so a beer in Brighton remains on the cards :)

We are under two hours west of London (traffic permitting) so there's always the option of a beer, or cider, when you get settled.

Jerry

And playing trains of course;)