1/32 LMS Milk Tank

28ten

Guv'nor
As can be gathered from my other thread I have started on an LMS milk tank, the intention being to represent a vehicle on the WR in the mid late 60's this quick shot shows the underframe assembled and the sheet on N/S I intend to use for the tank itself. the kit is supplied with a plastic three part moulding for the tank but past experience suggests that this will end up hexagonal rather than round  :))
Oh, and the 7mm wheelset is for size comparison

Attachments

• IMG_4004.JPG
    IMG_4004.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 10

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
28ten said:
... the kit is supplied with a plastic three part moulding for the tank but past experience suggests that this will end up hexagonal rather than round  :))
:)) :)) :))
... and the 7mm wheelset is for size comparison
That's quite some difference!! :eek: Working in HO again feels a bit "sub-miniature" after O Scale; you'll be feeling the same about O Scale, soon... :shit:

28ten

Guv'nor
Jordan said:
:)) :)) :))That's quite some difference!! :eek: Working in HO again feels a bit "sub-miniature" after O Scale; you'll be feeling the same about O Scale, soon... :shit:
I do already  8) it is a very satisfying size to work with and im starting to wonder if I will ever build the remaining 7mm kits I have  :-\

S

Simon Dunkley

28ten said:
I do already  8) it is a very satisfying size to work with and im starting to wonder if I will ever build the remaining 7mm kits I have
Gotcha!  ;)

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Looking forward to seeing further progress on this Cynric - milk tanks are a favourite of mine too.  :thumbs:

Are they standard size wagon wheels?  If so, I'm surprised they don't come with the usual 3 holes.

Regards

Dan

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
  :scratch: Have you decided on what kind of springing or compensation type of arrangement you will do on it?

Phill  :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
Dan Randall said:
Looking forward to seeing further progress on this Cynric - milk tanks are a favourite of mine too.  :thumbs:

Are they standard size wagon wheels?  If so, I'm surprised they don't come with the usual 3 holes.

Regards

Dan
Im a sucker for any tank wagon, so I shall do a couple of these before looking at the WR tanks for which I have a decent amount of information.
they are 3'7 and yes they do need holes. Im looking at the artwork now  8)
Infact there may be some other etched goodies for it  ;D

28ten

Guv'nor
Phill Dyson said:
  :scratch: Have you decided on what kind of springing or compensation type of arrangement you will do on it?

Phill  :wave:
It comes with springing. I have a 7mm GW milk tank whch i think comes with springs as well

Simon

Flying Squad
That's looking grand Cynric, the kit makes up into a lovely model.

Regarding the tank, I thought this was one of the best aspects of the kit, I found it made a perfect cylinder very easily first time.

Look forward to seeing the build, I modified mine to make the wheels removeable which I think is worth doing. I'll try and take a picture of the arrangement if you like, but I expect you've got it all worked out already ;D

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Im a sucker for any tank wagon, so I shall do a couple of these before looking at the WR tanks for which I have a decent amount of information.
they are 3'7 and yes they do need holes. Im looking at the artwork now  8)
Infact there may be some other etched goodies for it  ;D

Ooh, I hope you be shrinking said etches down for those of us that work in the "smaller" scales.... :)) :))

I wonder if the day will ever come when we can put a kit together straight from the box without this kind of input from the builder?  Although it can be great fun designing your own detailing bits, it does get a bit frustrating when you discover something in the kit you're not happy about.  The project then grinds to a halt and gets stuffed back in the cupboard.  There's only one thing for it now - start another project!  Sooner or later though, the same thing happens and so the cycle repeats itself.  Sound familiar?

Regards

Dan

Neil

Western Thunderer
Dan Randall said:

I wonder if the day will ever come when we can put a kit together straight from the box without this kind of input from the builder?  Although it can be great fun designing your own detailing bits, it does get a bit frustrating when you discover something in the kit you're not happy about.  The project then grinds to a halt and gets stuffed back in the cupboard.  There's only one thing for it now - start another project!  Sooner or later though, the same thing happens and so the cycle repeats itself.  Sound familiar?

A friend of mine, a successful writer of long novels, once offered this interesting perspective. He told me that there comes a point in each book where belief in the concept fades. This can be quite a way in, and there's a temptation to start again. Apparently this is the point that sorts out the 'wannabe' from the accomplished writer. To finish a book this stage has to be got past either by plowing ahead or some gentle tweaks and then plowing ahead. Starting again will only bring one to this point of vacillation again.

I think it's something to do with reconciling ones hopes for perfection, with the reality of living and operating in an imperfect world. I'm sure it has great pertinence to our hobby (and many other aspects of life) and is perhaps why I take a less finescale stance these days than I used to. I'd rather see an imperfect model on my layout than see a potentially perfect model still in bits in a box. Apologies for the drift.

28ten

Guv'nor
Simon said:
Regarding the tank, I thought this was one of the best aspects of the kit, I found it made a perfect cylinder very easily first time.
I think you are better with plastic than me  :D I feel more comfortable working in metal but then im a bit old school  :))

Dan Randall said:
Ooh, I hope you be shrinking said etches down for those of us that work in the "smaller" scales.... :)) :))

Regards

Dan
Dan, get your MMP coach out that should answer your question  :)) :)) and yes I have a shelf full of projects like that  :scratch:

28ten

Guv'nor
Neil said:
A friend of mine, a successful writer of long novels, once offered this interesting perspective. He told me that there comes a point in each book where belief in the concept fades. This can be quite a way in, and there's a temptation to start again. Apparently this is the point that sorts out the 'wannabe' from the accomplished writer. To finish a book this stage has to be got past either by plowing ahead or some gentle tweaks and then plowing ahead. Starting again will only bring one to this point of vacillation again.

I think it's something to do with reconciling ones hopes for perfection, with the reality of living and operating in an imperfect world. I'm sure it has great pertinence to our hobby (and many other aspects of life) and is perhaps why I take a less finescale stance these days than I used to. I'd rather see an imperfect model on my layout than see a potentially perfect model still in bits in a box. Apologies for the drift.
I see your point entirely, and the pursuit of finescale perfection cripples many a project. im starting to re examine  my ideas on scales and there is a lot of merit with the idea of EM for large roundy roundy and 1/32 for the finescale fix, quite where that leaves me with 7mm I dont know  :)) :))

djparkins

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Dan, get your MMP coach out that should answer your question  :)) :)) and yes I have a shelf full of projects like that

No need for the laughter symbols Cynric! - if Dan needs to etch anything to add to our Mk.1 kit he has then I would class him as impossible to please!

It is like all detailed kits though - the modeller has to want to build them as much as the designer wanted to design them.  They become a part of your like for the weeks or months of the construction.  It is unavoidable and you have to keep your mind focused on the one outcome and not get sidetracked onto other projects.

Regards,

David Parkins,
Modern Motive Power

28ten

Guv'nor
mth said:
is this the kit your building?
Thats it, only the LM version

djparkins said:
No need for the laughter symbols Cynric! - if Dan needs to etch anything to add to our Mk.1 kit he has then I would class him as impossible to please!

It is like all detailed kits though - the modeller has to want to build them as much as the designer wanted to design them.  They become a part of your like for the weeks or months of the construction.  It is unavoidable and you have to keep your mind focused on the one outcome and not get sidetracked onto other projects.

Regards,

David Parkins,
Modern Motive Power
I couldnt find anything to add  :) but then that is the same of all the MMP kits I have built.
I do agree that you have to be focused and in the mood to build them, as it is quite an intense build

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Dan Randall said:

28ten said:
Dan, get your MMP coach out that should answer your question  :)) :)) and yes I have a shelf full of projects like that  :scratch:

With apologies to David Parkins, perhaps I should have started that first sentence with the words "Unless building a kit from MMP," which are of course, as complete as you could hope for.  :thumbs:

Glad it's not just me Cynric.  :)

Regards

Dan

28ten

Guv'nor
Dan Randall said:
With apologies to David Parkins, perhaps I should have started that first sentence with the words "Unless building a kit from MMP," which are of course, as complete as you could hope for.  :thumbs:

Regards

Dan
Creep  :)) :))